89 replies to this topic

#21 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:08 PM

Well, I went ahead and decided to refinish my hardwood floors myself. The estimate came in at $2600, way way way over our budget, and the other two companies were booked for the next three weeks, which is about when I need to be out of my current place so that doesn't jive. 

I rented the drum sander and did the majority of the sanding yesterday. Not too hard. Just tedious. Have to go very slow, but the 20 grit sand paper chewed right through the old finish, and paint, and old glue in some spots with no problem. A lot of things I've read mentioned using a combination of 40, 80, and 100 grit paper, or 60, 80, 120. But the guy at the shop recommended 20, 36, 80, and only going up to 120 if I wasn't going to polyurethane.  Worked like a charm.

I rented the edging sander today and that thing kicked my ass. Bent over or on my hands and knees all day. The thing is constantly trying to get away from you, like a floor buffer, it's tough to keep in under control. It took longer to do the edging than the rest of the floors. 

I had to buy a separate sander (a Mouse) specifically for getting in the corners and around door jambs, and parts of the steps the edger wouldn't reach. Also bought the stain and poly today. 

Drum sander and paper - $120

Edge sander and paper - $65

Mouse sander and paper - $45

Pre-stain conditioner - $60

Stain - $60

Polyurethane - $75

Misc. Items (brushes, rags etc...) - $50

Total - $475. Throw in enough Advil for a football team to cure my back ache, call it about $500. Saving $2100 doing it myself. It'll probably take all together a couple extra days than what the pros said it would take them (three days). Well see what the finished product looks like in few days. I'll post some before and after pics. 

• JeremyStrain and Mackus like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#22 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,741 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:55 AM

Looking for some DIY advice.  Anybody have experience getting lose change out of your car's CD player?  A few weeks ago I had to take the car seats out so I could adjust the straps and the girls wanted to play in the car while I was doing that.  What the harm in that,  I figured they are in a contained area and couldn't get into trouble.  As usual I was wrong as I realized the little one put several coins in the CD player.  I was able to get one penny out with a flat head screw driver, but I know there's at least 2 or 3 more coins floating around in there.  Any ideas on how to get em out?

• SammyBirdland likes this

#23 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:57 AM

Looking for some DIY advice.  Anybody have experience getting lose change out of your car's CD player?  A few weeks ago I had to take the car seats out so I could adjust the straps and the girls wanted to play in the car while I was doing that.  What the harm in that,  I figured they are in a contained area and couldn't get into trouble.  As usual I was wrong as I realized the little one put several coins in the CD play.  I was able to get one penny out with a flat head screw driver, but I know there's at least 2 or 3 more coins floating around in there.  Any ideas on how to get em out?

You should be able to take the CD player out with a screwdriver -- at that point you'll probably have to take whatever the player is housed in off and remove whatever cover is on -- should be all screwed in.  Then take the coins out.  I'd be careful jamming a screwdriver in there -- if you scratch or crack the laser lens you're done.

• DuffMan likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#24 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:06 AM

What's a CD?

#25 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:21 AM

Getting there...

zd3L9o1.jpg

FTRcQq3.jpg

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#26 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:31 AM

What's a CD?

McNulty's favorite kind of "chick".

• SammyBirdland and McNulty like this

#27 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:29 PM

Six weeks of home renovation. Here are the floors I mentioned earlier in the thread. 

BeforeCJY6qde.jpg

During

m1b8Jwi.jpg

After

Vwu9FXw.jpg

Living room/Kitchen

Before

9VIVf9l.jpg

After

1TEf1DV.jpg

Hallway/Bathroom. In the first picture, the bathroom door is on the left of the closet. so the other side of the closet is the bathroom. 

n4nzEn9.jpg

So here you can see the wall on the right is the closet, and the little space between the toilet and sink. 

SDJoI2S.jpg

To make more room in the bathroom we knocked out that closet and moved the sink over next to the toilet. 

tewpTL6.jpg

No more closet

Dhl7haK.jpg

I'm spent...still have so much left to do. But the living spaces are up to par so I'm taking a break for a couple weeks. Wouldn't let me post more pictures than this, I'll put more up later.

• BSLChrisStoner, Mackus, Pedro Cerrano and 1 other like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#28 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:30 PM

How do you guys do things like this?  I'm such an idiot when it comes to carpentry type things.  Where would you recommend I start to increase my skillz?

• SportsGuy likes this

@fuzydunlop

#29 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:58 PM

How do you guys do things like this?  I'm such an idiot when it comes to carpentry type things.  Where would you recommend I start to increase my skillz?

YouTube. Seriously.

My fiances dad is also handy and gave us a hand with the bathroom. Once someone shows you it really isnt that hard to repeat.
  • Mackus, SammyBirdland, McNulty and 1 other like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#30 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 05:23 PM

YouTube. Seriously.

My fiances dad is also handy and gave us a hand with the bathroom. Once someone shows you it really isnt that hard to repeat.

Seriously! YouTube, I seconded it. I had an issue with my LG front load washer. I checked the code on the internet and checked some YouTube videos on LG front load washers. No more code and all is good. Now. how much would that had cost me if I brought in an appliance repair man.

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#31 KWebz

KWebz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 722 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:13 AM

YouTube. Seriously. My fiances dad is also handy and gave us a hand with the bathroom. Once someone shows you it really isnt that hard to repeat.
And Pinterest!

#32 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:22 AM

And Pinterest!

Nah, that's for girls.

@DJ_McCann

#33 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:30 AM

Yeah, I've made so many home repairs and improvements just from youtube.  

Some very impressive work done in this thread, BTW!

Anyone watch the show Rehab Addict on DIY?  Huge fan of that show.  The girl who hosts it is a little annoying, but the things she's able to do are amazing, and the show seems pretty legit (as in, not totally misrepresenting what's actually going on).

• Mike in STL likes this

#34 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:52 AM

Youtube and google can show you how to get started with just about anything. 

I've also found very helpful forums for some jobs where you can actually talk with pros and get advice.  If you're doing a bathroom project, John Bridge Tile Forum is a great resource.  Tons of pictures and examples, articles on how to do things the right way and wrong way, and once you've learned a little bit and have a plan, you can post and ask if your plan will work and people give you helpful tips or tell you where you may have trouble.

#35 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 04:54 PM

Two of my cousins have just started a company that makes 3-D metal sports logos.  If anybody is looking for some unique wall art for their basement or sports room, check them out - I'd appreciate it.

Here's a link to an article about them from the Maryland website (there's a link to their website in that article).

http://terp.umd.edu/...r/#.VHOm05I4v8c

#36 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:48 AM

Not home but car, Imagine how much Toyota dealer would charge to replace a window regulator? But thanks to a You Tube video and ordering from the company that made the video. My repair was $55 for parts and $0 for my labor.

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#37 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:16 AM

I'm about to install, sand, stain and poly red oak in our bedroom...not looking forward to moving all our shit out of the room to get started but once you get into a project it's not so bad. I just love that my wife waited until baseball season started to decide she wanted it done.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#38 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 11:38 AM

Here is a look at our new patio.

Before

Nbb3gSE.jpg

During. With a stencil for making concrete pavers. Ideal for a walkway of 6 -10 feet. Not a 250 square foot patio.

HmSizdh.jpg

After. A fresh coat of paint on the little deck, some flowers, and benches I built.

2JrQv5c.jpg

• Mackus and Nigel Tufnel like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#39 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 11:42 AM

Good job!

I will have to post photos of our wood floors.

• Mike in STL likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#40 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 12:07 PM

Good job!

I will have to post photos of our wood floors.

Thanks. 

How was it doing your floors? Did you have a lot? I could see myself tackling one room If i had too. But doing two bed rooms, a living room, and a hallway, I'll never do again. 

@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=