6 replies to this topic

#1 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:30 AM

Is it just me or should this be the go-to music venue in Baltimore? 

Downtown, on the water, good acoustics, etc...

Yet here is a sample of the acts lined up on their website:

John Legend

The Offspring

Heart

Panic! at the Disco

Gavin DeGraw

Boston

Steely Dan

Hall & Oates

Now if this were 1983 or 2003, that would be a good line-up. Now, aside from Legend, there's not a currently relevant artist on there.

Seems like a lot of acts that come through are just past their prime like PATD or some reunion or retirement tour.

I know it's a smaller venue. However, Ram's Head regularly gets more current acts and it's relatively the same size and indoors.

Shouldn't this place be more relevant in terms of the acts that come through there?

Hell, they should at least be able to get The Hold Steady. 

B)

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#2 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:26 AM

It's close to Rams Head (and operated by the same people), which doesn't have to worry about weather. And if an act wants to use an outdoor venue, Merriweather Post is just down the road, holds a lot more people with the hill seating, and (according to Wikipedia) is highly rated nationally as a venue.

@DJ_McCann

#3 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:34 AM

Right, I forgot they are operated by the same company.

I guess there still is a difference between club shows (Rams Head) and outdoorsy, smaller venues.

I've never been to P6...wish there was an act there I would want to see. Seems like a cool place.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#4 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:39 AM

Is it just me or should this be the go-to music venue in Baltimore? 

Downtown, on the water, good acoustics, etc...

Yet here is a sample of the acts lined up on their website:

John Legend

The Offspring

Heart

Panic! at the Disco

Gavin DeGraw

Boston

Steely Dan

Hall & Oates

Now if this were 1983 or 2003, that would be a good line-up. Now, aside from Legend, there's not a currently relevant artist on there.

Seems like a lot of acts that come through are just past their prime like PATD or some reunion or retirement tour.

I know it's a smaller venue. However, Ram's Head regularly gets more current acts and it's relatively the same size and indoors.

Shouldn't this place be more relevant in terms of the acts that come through there?

Hell, they should at least be able to get The Hold Steady. 

B)

They playing a free show in Canton on September 4.  I encourage you all to go and have a Coors Light with me.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#5 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:40 AM

They playing a free show in Canton on September 4.  I encourage you all to go and have a Coors Light with me.

I could say something but I won't. I want to be nice. :D

#6 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:46 AM

I could say something but I won't. I want to be nice. :D

Haha, to be perfectly honest, the first time I heard THS I thought the "singing" would never appeal to me.  But countless listens later and the music, combined with the smart lyrics helped me overlook that.  Plus he's actually become more of a "singer" in their three most recent records (although the two prior to that are still their two best, IMO).  So yea, I can see why some people might have a problem with them.

Unless you're talking about Coors Light.  I got nothing there.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#7 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,968 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:48 PM

If you count the lawn, Pier 6 has got to be way bigger than Rams Head.  I bet that even the pavilion is bigger than Rams Head's full capacity.  Its size is probably part of its problem - too big for indy bands, too small for popular, currently relevant bands, which would play Merriweather anyway.

EDIT:  Based on some tenuous internet searches, Pier 6's capacity is 4,700 and Rams Head Live is 1,400.  Merriweather is 19,000+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=