@fuzydunlop

#42 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 09:54 AM

I have a back yard that is full of this stuff....

broadleaf_plantain_2007%20Aug%201%20022-

I would rather it look like this....

Tall%20Fescue%20Grass%20Seed.jpg

Any ideas? I have a large tree in the back so the yard is very shady. 

I have lime, fertilizer, and grass seed specifically for shaded areas. Plan on just following the directions on the bags, but curious if anyone has any tips. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#43 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 10:45 AM

attachicon.gifyard.jpg

attachicon.gifyard3.jpg

attachicon.gifyad2.jpg

Those areas aren't bare from lack of sun... they're bare because of foot traffic... including by critters who have 4-wheel-drive...

You've already done the best way of determining where you need something other than grass... it's what parks and college campus' should do about where to put sidewalks:  put grass everywhere and see where the bare spots pop up... at that point you know what you need to solve...

Low hassle, lower cost, maybe not permanent:

* for the parts of bare area you wanna walk on barefoot  https://www.bing.com...=8-15&sp=-1&sk=

* for the bare area you want to prettify but don't care if it's smooth: https://www.bing.com...vel&FORM=HDRSC2

Coordinate the shades

Higher hassle, higher cost, hopefully permanent:  

* a design that integrates the deck, the space under the deck, and the bare spots into something that's right.

* don't do anything until you get clear about exactly what you want... in-progress changes are expensive... take time, think it through... in effect, you're designing an extension to your house... if you do it with a half-assed plan, it will show...

Depending on how much of a hurry you're in, it might be worth it (or not) to do a short-term plan while you sort out a long-term plan...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#44 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 10:48 AM

Dig up as much as you can and plant the seed. Maybe aerate the lawn before you plant seed. If you lay down any chemicals you won't be able to plant seed for a few weeks. Getting good crowded grass growth will prevent weeds from growing. Laying down early spring weed and feed around St Patrick's day helps keep it green and free of crabgrass each year. Also don't cut grass too short. Hope that helps.
  • Mike in STL likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#45 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 11:05 AM

Dig up as much as you can and plant the seed. Maybe aerate the lawn before you plant seed. If you lay down any chemicals you won't be able to plant seed for a few weeks. Getting good crowded grass growth will prevent weeds from growing. Laying down early spring weed and feed around St Patrick's day helps keep it green and free of crabgrass each year. Also don't cut grass too short. Hope that helps.

stupid question. Is lime a chemical? Should I plant the grass seed and wait for it to spout before putting down lime? Or can I spread lime, fertilizer, seed all on the same day?

@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=