#21 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:56 AM

They don't need to tell people anything.  They just need to pass a law making it illegal for 2-3 years and hand out huge fines if caught.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#22 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,463 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:00 AM

They don't need to tell people anything.  They just need to pass a law making it illegal for 2-3 years and hand out huge fines if caught.

That would cripple an economy that thousands of people rely on. So it will never happen, nor should it.

Some limits should be placed on the bay, as well as trying to increase crab populations in other ways, whether through farming or trying to improve bay conditions for crabs.

The problem is that the bay is in pretty shitty condition and always will be. All the development around the bay and the runoff from farms have taken their toll on the bay and its health. Apparently, 200...even 100 years ago the bay was almost crystal clear.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#23 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,427 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:02 AM

I think the absurdly cold winter had a lot to do with the lower numbers this year, more than overcrabbing.

A couple year hiatus would help crab populations, but it'd be pretty devastating for any local crabbers.  Maybe you subsidize them?  Who pays for that?

#24 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,463 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:04 AM

I think the absurdly cold winter had a lot to do with the lower numbers this year, more than overcrabbing.

A couple year hiatus would help crab populations, but it'd be pretty devastating for any local crabbers.  Maybe you subsidize them?  Who pays for that?

Good point about weather. It's been a crazy year, weather wise...and the effects of it are crazy too from allergies to a tree in my yard having already lost most of its leaves.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#25 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:13 AM

My grandfather retired to the Bay and took up crabbing. It was great, I'd spend a few weeks with him every summer and we'd get up at the crack of dawn and go catch 4-6 bushels a day. He also had a nice farm and did a great job helping re-populate.

Crazy how much money he made doing this.

#26 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:32 AM

My Mom's side of the family are huge crab eaters. They grew up right on the Severn River, and my uncle is an especially huge crab lover. Before his Rappahannock River house was taken way by Katrina, we'd go down there and take his motorboat across the river to one of his crabber friends. Great stuff. And of course, plenty of Old Bay.

@BSLZackKiesel

#27 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:00 PM

That would cripple an economy that thousands of people rely on. So it will never happen, nor should it.

Some limits should be placed on the bay, as well as trying to increase crab populations in other ways, whether through farming or trying to improve bay conditions for crabs.

The problem is that the bay is in pretty shitty condition and always will be. All the development around the bay and the runoff from farms have taken their toll on the bay and its health. Apparently, 200...even 100 years ago the bay was almost crystal clear.

Think I've read before that they've tried crab farming and it just hasn't been successful thus far. It'd be great if they could find a way to do it though.

My grandparents had a house on the Wye River when I was a kid, so we caught our own crabs all summer. This was late 70's early 80's, so they were still relatively plentiful and far fewer restrictions than today....the size limit was smaller then (not that it mattered, plenty of big ones) and you could have 5 pots/traps per person in your boat without a license.

As for where I go to buy crabs, it was always Mr. Bill's for me.

#28 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 12 August 2014 - 12:27 PM

http://www.baltimore...2081,full.story

#29 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,463 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:57 PM

Had some crabs over the weekend. One at a family crab feast where they're FREE and I cleaned up the ones my wife couldnt finish last night at Nick's Fish House. Mediums were $60. They were OK.

#30 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,427 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:17 AM

Getting crabs from Gaffney's Back Fin in Canton/Highlandtown tomorrow.  Had never heard of them until last week somehow, despite living fewer than 4 blocks away for the bast 7 years.  But the prices are solid and what little I've learned of them in the last week seems very promising.  Very excited to try them out.

EDIT:

Would definitely recommend them to anyone in the area.  I got a half bushel of mixed mediums and larges for $138.  They were steamed to order (I called ahead), seasoned very well, and cooked perfectly.  Some of the mediums actually felt a bit heavier than many of the larges, but all of them were good.

#31 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,463 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:34 AM

Had some last weekend, a friend who lives in Westminster knows someone who sold a bushel for $190. A bunch of them must've gotten boiled in the steamer and the meat turned to paste, but overall they were pretty good for the price.

#32 tennOsfan

tennOsfan

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 03 August 2015 - 12:17 PM

On our trip to Baltimore this weekend, my wife and I hit Bo Brooks on Rshack's recommendation. Had some fine stuff.

I watched with curiosity all the locals beating on the crabs. I'd never eaten crab meat in that fashion, but craving a chance to broaden my horizons, we sat down at the Phillips' Crab Deck Sunday before the game. I bought six steamed critters, and peeking in the brown paper bag, I was convinced we'd made a mistake. I could not imagine my wife participating in this endeavor (I dare a server bring her a piece of fish with it's head attached).

But some pounding and beating later, we loved the experience. She liked it so much, she's wanting to go back to Baltimore. Which is swell with me ...

• DJ MC, Nigel Tufnel and RShack like this

#33 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 01:17 PM

On our trip to Baltimore this weekend, my wife and I hit Bo Brooks on Rshack's recommendation. Had some fine stuff.

I watched with curiosity all the locals beating on the crabs. I'd never eaten crab meat in that fashion, but craving a chance to broaden my horizons, we sat down at the Phillips' Crab Deck Sunday before the game. I bought six steamed critters, and peeking in the brown paper bag, I was convinced we'd made a mistake. I could not imagine my wife participating in this endeavor (I dare a server bring her a piece of fish with it's head attached).

But some pounding and beating later, we loved the experience. She liked it so much, she's wanting to go back to Baltimore. Which is swell with me ...

Well, whenever you come back and fill up on steamed crabs, here's the best thing to do afterwards:   go someplace else and get some ice cream.

It sounds odd... you wouldn't think ice cream would be a good chaser for crabs and beer... but it is... after a pause... which is why I said "go someplace else"...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#34 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,463 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 07:36 AM

MD Blue Crabs have infested Spain.

https://www.theguard...pain-ebro-delta

Send them our way, amigos!

#35 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,427 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 09:14 AM

Ooohhh...softshell paella sounds like a dish I need to start working on!

• Hooded Viper and DJ MC like this

#36 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 31 October 2019 - 09:37 AM

Feels weird hearing about how a "local" animal is "infesting" an exotic region and killing off the native species and not vice versa (for us).

#37 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 04:26 PM

Feels weird hearing about how a "local" animal is "infesting" an exotic region and killing off the native species and not vice versa (for us).

May the Blue Crab invade and conquer the world! #goodimperialism

• DJ MC likes this
@DaKittenz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=