#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,971 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:21 PM

ESPN: SEC Commish Mike Slive outlines plans for subdivision
http://espn.go.com/c...nce-subdivision

Slive visited the University of Massachusetts last week as the executive-in-residence for the Mark H. McCormack Department of Sport Management. In a keynote address, Slive laid out seven goals for the new subdivision of Division I that will house the following conferences: SEC, Atlantic Coast, Big Ten, Big 12 and Pac-12.

• providing the full cost of attendance to grant-in-aid recipients

• fulfilling the health, safety and nutrition needs of student-athletes

• allowing student-athletes who have exhausted their eligibility to complete their undergraduate degree without cost

• ending the cold war against agents and advisers so that players testing the professional waters can receive better information

• harnessing the demands of sports so that student-athletes get more balance in their lives -- i.e., another crack at the "20-hour rule"

• more and better assistance for academically at-risk student-athletes

• giving student-athletes a role and a vote in NCAA governance that affects them

#2 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,359 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:54 PM

ESPN: Plan would empower big conferences

The NCAA Division I Board of Directors endorsed a plan on Thursday that would change the way college sports are governed and give the five major conferences the authority to make many of their own rules. The board still must take a final vote on the measures in August after it solicits feedback from member schools.

If the plan is put into place, the 65 schools in the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and SEC would have autonomy to set their own rules on issues such as cost-of-attendance stipends, medical coverage and travel to games and tournaments for players' families. The board will continue to discuss whether the power conferences could set their own policies in areas such as per-week time limits, recruiting, coaching staff limits and outside career interests for players and transfers.

Mixed feelings. On one hand, I'm certainly in favor of things being more equitable for the athletes (albeit only a little). On the other hand, with only the Big 5 conferences doing this (and obviously because they are the ones who can afford it) I think this could have quite a detrimental impact on the parity that we've seen evolve, not just at the FBS level, but perhaps even to the mid-major teams in D-1 hoops. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=