#2 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,409 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:41 PM

Good stuff from Jeff and now Chris Garman is on talking Terps basketball.

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,643 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:44 PM

So, you are saying there is a chance!

I'd like to beat FSU, and get another shot at UVA....

#4 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:16 PM

Brandon will be happy to hear about the TEs the Ravens like..especially Niklas.

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,643 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:19 PM

Chances on Graham's return?

#6 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:22 PM

Brandon will be happy to hear about the TEs the Ravens like..especially Niklas.

But he won't like that the Ravens like Martin.

#7 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:47 AM

Oh snap. You mean I'm not the only one who thinks the situation Turge walked into was so bad that it's had an effect on the last few years.

And Rob doesn't seem to get that putting talent on a team doesn't =success. It takes chemistry. Last year Turge had a very young team. He had a bunch of freshmen and a first year transfer.

Again, look at Kentucky last year when it comes to throwing together a bunch of young talented players. They missed the tourney. And they have players much more talented at MD. And we know Calapari can make that work, as he won a NC using that formula the year before.

Also, Rob keeps saying it wasn't a rebuilding project, but it was. There was 6 walkons Turgeon s first year. 4 of the scholarship players on the team that year either transfered and or got suspended.

Again, look at how long it's taken other similar or better programs to build a program back up. Louisville, Georgetown, Indiana,etc

#8 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,409 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:58 AM

Well at least you have one person that finally agrees with you. Sort of, though as he agrees with the points I'm about to make as well.

This wasn't a program that needed to be built back up, though. It was a team that was not good right at the moment Turgeon took it over, but the program was in decent shape. The program was also in very good shape for recruiting purposes. Turgeon has landed some highly regarded players, and if he had a higher success rate with targeting and developing the recruits and transfers, this would be a tourney team. If he had just done a good job recruiting one big, this would be a tourney team most likely. Was it Gary's fault that he couldn't land and develop one good big? Of course not. That's totally on Turgeon whom also has not done a very good job targeting and developing players as a whole with MD. 

#9 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,620 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:01 AM

Well at least you have one person that finally agrees with you. Sort of, though as he agrees with the points I'm about to make as well.

This wasn't a program that needed to be built back up, though. It was a team that was not good right at the moment Turgeon took it over, but the program was in decent shape. The program was also in very good shape for recruiting purposes. Turgeon has landed some highly regarded players, and if he had a higher success rate with targeting and developing the recruits and transfers, this would be a tourney team. If he had just done a good job recruiting one big, this would be a tourney team most likely. Was it Gary's fault that he couldn't land and develop one good big? Of course not. That's totally on Turgeon whom has also not done a very good job targeting and developing players as a whole with MD. 

Faust, Peters, Shaq, Layman have also been very disappointing. To basically miss on that many guys is a red flag, IMO.

#10 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:06 AM

There is no doubt he missed on Cleare and Mitchell is a role guy. Every coach misses on players.

Did he miss on Alex Len. No, if he is here we do make the tourney this year. We're a Top 20 team.

The other one that no one ever mentions is the loss of Cassell Jr. That was by no fault of Turge. Now,well see next year how good he is, but he was one of the top Jucos this year and is going to UConn.

Another player that likely would have improved this teams collective team IQ.

#11 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:09 AM

Martin is fine if

A. He's at LG. He's gonna be better at LG than RT.That would mean a move for KO back to RT.

B. Because he is a LG, you don't take him at 17. Trade back and get him in the mid 20s

#12 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,620 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:09 AM

The guys on the roster this year are 100% on Turge. Not sure how you could suggest otherwise.

#13 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,409 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:13 AM

Who initially targeted Len?

Sure, every coach misses on players, but if this group was as good as expected as a whole with some being disappointing and some being pleasant surprises, this would be a tournament team. Turgeon entered a situation where he had a good chance to recruit and develop well enough to be in the tournament in 3 years. That hasn't happened and it's very disappointing based on his prior resume and what could have reasonably been expected given the state of the program; a program that hadn't gone 3 straight years without dancing since the probation years. 

#14 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,620 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:17 AM

I can't remember who initially targeted Len, but everyone knew the deal with him. I don't see how that has anything to do with this discussion.

#15 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,409 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:21 AM

I can't remember who initially targeted Len, but everyone knew the deal with him. I don't see how that has anything to do with this discussion.

Gary and his staff were in on Len before he retired. 

#16 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:22 AM

No one is arguing that. It's still a young team who are missing players that went to the NBA, got suspended for smoking pot, and who wasn't admitted to school because they didn't take his prep school courses.

If Stoglin isn't an idiot we likely make the tourney last year. If Len stays we are a tourney team this year.

Not only was Turge dealt a bad hand when he walked in, but he's had some poor luck.

These players that are on this team now are 1st and 2nd year program guys and most of them should or were expected to only be role players at this point.

Cleare who was top 60 is really the one guy who you could say has not lived up so far. Mitchell was around 100, Allen outside top 100. Layman has been an inconsistent top 60 guy to this point. Peter's is a freshman Top 60 PG.

I think people had too  high of expectations for these players at this point. Again, the roster is completely on Turg, it's just that I think people need to lower the expectations and be patient. As I said before, next year I'll be much more critical.

#17 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,620 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:22 AM

Yeah - but that Turge had a lotto pick type talent on his team for 2 years is a positive for him, not a negative. He was supposed to be one and done anyway.

#18 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,409 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:24 AM

I will say that this could end up just being a blip on the radar for Turgeon if this next class is a good one. Even good coaches can largely miss on a class, or worse, two classes bunched together. So I'm not giving up hope on Turgeon, but he should have done more to date than he has.

#19 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:25 AM

Len reached out to Md not long before Gary retired.

#20 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,620 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:27 AM

I think people had to high expectations for these players at this point. Again, the roster is completely on Turg, it's just that I think people need to lower the expectations and be patient. As I said before, next year I'll be much more critical.

I think it's fair how critical people are being currently - because no one (at least that I've seen) has called for him to lose his job to this point. So I think people are being reasonable in their critique, but they have every right to be critical to this point.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=