#41 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:02 PM

Never heard Layman interviewed, didn't realize he seems to have a slight stutter.  Not that it at all matters obviously, I just didn't know that.

I know I was as down on this team as just about anyone else on the board earlier in the year, but I do believe they've played significantly better over the past few weeks.  Even taking Clemson to 2OT on the road is nothing to be ashamed of.  It hasn't been as fast as we wanted, but I do believe I see improvement.

I predicted 6 conference wins and they'll likely end up with 8.  In my defense I vastly underrated how bad Virginia Tech was.

So did Jim Weaver

@levineps

#42 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,554 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:27 PM

Never heard Layman interviewed, didn't realize he seems to have a slight stutter.  Not that it at all matters obviously, I just didn't know that.

I know I was as down on this team as just about anyone else on the board earlier in the year, but I do believe they've played significantly better over the past few weeks.  Even taking Clemson to 2OT on the road is nothing to be ashamed of.  It hasn't been as fast as we wanted, but I do believe I see improvement.

I predicted 6 conference wins and they'll likely end up with 8.  In my defense I vastly underrated how bad Virginia Tech was.

Agree with this pretty much - good post.

#43 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:35 PM

The Charles Mitchell incident (Washington Post)

Mitchell was seen exchanging heated words with assistant Scott Spinelli before yanking his jersey off as he walked through the tunnel. He spent much of the second half in the locker room with special assistant Juan Dixon before returning to the bench, where he sat at the end, wearing warmups, for the rest of the game.

“I’m not going to get into details,” Turgeon said during his postgame news conference. “It was something, had some disciplined involved. Asked him to go to the locker room.”

Doesn't sound like he actually left the building.

@levineps

#44 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:35 PM

Turge has done an excellent job down the stretch. If the players executed better in crunch , or even got a few lucks bounces, we'd be a tourney team.

Not bad for a collection of players who some thought would win 5-6 ACC games. Or worst yet, a team predicted as the worst in 20 years.

Now, make no mistake, these players are limited and flawed, but I would say Turge has them playing at 85-90% of their potential the last few weeks.

When is the last time they weren't really in a game??

#45 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:48 PM

Turge has done an excellent job down the stretch. If the players executed better in crunch , or even got a few lucks bounces, we'd be a tourney team.

Not bad for a collection of players who some thought would win 5-6 ACC games. Or worst yet, a team predicted as the worst in 20 years.

Now, make no mistake, these players are limited and flawed, but I would say Turge has them playing at 85-90% of their potential the last few weeks.

When is the last time they weren't really in a game??

He gets credit for blowing out one of the worst teams in major college basketball at home in a meaningless game so credit where it's due.

In terms of them being in every game, I'd rather be in every game than not. But at the end of the day, one thing matter -- did you win? And they haven't been able to seal the deal in those close relevant games against better opponents.

This team wasn't predicted as the worst in 20 years, that's revisionist history.

@levineps

#46 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,463 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:52 PM

Beat UVA, finish the regular season .500 in league play. Miracle 2004 run in the ACCT :)

#47 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,401 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:54 PM

This was projected to be a tourney team. So it's been a terrible year for the players and Turgeon.
  • Oriole85 likes this

#48 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:55 PM

Beat UVA, finish the regular season .500 in league play. Miracle 2004 run in the ACCT :)

Think this would be an even bigger miracle. Good news they're only 10 straight wins from winning the national championship after the UVA game.

@levineps

#49 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:56 PM

This was projected to be a tourney team. So it's been a terrible year for the players and Turgeon.

Not just a tourney team but a few people predicted a deep run, but hey it can still happen (see my last post).

@levineps

#50 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,543 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:56 PM

Well alright....this win guarantees they will not be the first team since 1992-93 to finish with a losing record. Now to see if they can extend the current 21 year streak of winning seasons with a win over UVA or in the ACCT. Oh, I am just giddy with anticipation!!!

#51 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:00 PM

Well alright....this win guarantees they will not be the first team since 1992-93 to finish with a losing record. Now to see if they can extend the current 21 year streak of winning seasons with a win over UVA or in the ACCT. Oh, I am just giddy with anticipation!!!

They're 16-14... if they lose to UVA, first game of the ACC Tourney, than the first round of the NIT then they'd finish with a losing record. It's unlikely to happen but not completely out of the question.

@levineps

#52 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,543 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:03 PM

They're 16-14... if they lose to UVA, first game of the ACC Tourney, than the first round of the NIT then they'd finish with a losing record. It's unlikely to happen but not completely out of the question.

Not gonna happen.

#53 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,463 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:06 PM

Probably have to beat UVA, win 2 in ACCT to get to NIT.

#54 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,463 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:09 PM

Maybe not. http://www.bracketmatrix.com/nit.html

#55 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,543 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:13 PM

That was before the Clemson loss, and beating a JV team tonight can't help.

I'll go on record now, if they lose to UVA and in the 1st Round of the ACCT, they don't make the NIT. And frankly, I'd be happy with that....I'm all in favor of an early euthanization to this season.

#56 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:16 PM

Always fun looking at the NIT projections. That was before the Clemson loss, so going with this win cancelled that out, there probably just about there. I have no idea how NIT seeding works, but I'm guessing it's similar to NCAA seeding in that you aren't likely going to gain or lose anything more than a seed from a single win or loss.

Here's Patrick Stevens tweet before VT game tonight

@D1scourse @WhatUpJAlessi I have Maryland as the 16th team in the NIT field right now. Usually about eight AQs, some years more.

I think if they lose the next two games, they're on the NIT bubble, probably out. If they win one of the next two they're in especially UVA.

@levineps

#57 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:20 PM

Wrong.

People who thought this was a tourney team were delirious.Bubble team was their absolute upside, especially after losing Allen.

#58 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:21 PM

Wrong.

People who thought this was a tourney team were delirious.Bubble team was their absolute upside, especially after losing Allen.

Where is the official Bnickle preseason prediction?

@levineps

#59 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:27 PM

Wrong.

First off Allen wasn't gone for the whole season, there was more than enough time for them rebound once he cameback.

http://www.baltimore...ssion/?p=207342

Yeah, I have no idea what to expect this year. None. I got overly optimistic last year at the beginning of the season and ended up disappointed. They obviously have to find a way to take better care of the ball and shoot it better if they want to make the tourney this year.

Sounds pretty ambivalent there.

@levineps

#60 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:27 PM

Where is the official Bnickle preseason prediction?

Find it. I'm pretty sure it was 7-9 ACC range.

The funny think is, Weber was saying since before Christmas that he didn't see how this was a tourney team. Now, he's trying to turn things around and change the perception of how things were.

Same thing he did with that 66 win Cavs team.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=