Photo

Draft grade thread

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Poll: What Grade do you give the Ravens Draft? (8 member(s) have cast votes)

What Grade do you give the Ravens Draft?

1. B (7 votes [87.50%])

Percentage of vote: 87.50%

2. A (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. C (1 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

4. D (0 votes [0.00%])

5. F (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:58 AM

I'm okay with paying him too, just not to a deal that will handcuff our ability to stay competitive. You just can't give into the whole "Rice deserves it" thing. This is a business, and it's just not wise to promise him lots of money for the future based on things he's already accomplished. RB's just have too short a shelf life.

It's good business to pay him though. He provides so much for the offense, it won't handcuff the Ravens. Reed will be paid less next season than he is this season which frees up room and i expect some players to not return. Trust me, paying him is not going to handcuff this team. I don't expect most of the veterans to be gone after this season though. I believe they'll be back as long as they can perform. No major contracts run out next season besides Flacco and Rice but I expect them to be done this season. I really am not worried about it.

You're assuming that he stays at or above his current level. If he does (and the more I think about it the less worried I am about it), it would absolutely be a good deal.

However, you still have to take into account the likelihood--for an NFL running back, very, very high--of injury or decline, often very fast. If he remains at this level, the offense will run through him and he will perform. If he doesn't for whichever reason, either the offense runs through a less-effective player or he isn't involved in the offense at all. Either case is bad news, at least as bad as him leaving outright because of the expense, and has to be considered by both sides.

#22 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:57 AM

How is anyone saying they are okay with Ray Rice leaving after this year? Really think about it. He has been durable for his 4-year career and has gone over 1,200 rushing yards each season the last 3 seasons. The money shouldn't be the issue guys the duration should be the issue. I have no issue paying Rice 13 mill. because he is not just a runningback, he is a playmaker. If you're content to let Rice go than you're ready to see out offense become bad again. I love Flacco and I think he can at time carry the offense but he needs Rice. I say pay the guy and make it a 4-year deal. That's not high risk, 6 and 7 year deals are. I just don't get how letting you're most productive player go makes sense. If you honestly think anyone on roster can make up for his production, please go ahead and explain away but I'm not buying it. Giving Rice a new deal is good business because without him, we will not win as many games. He is a difference maker. Him and Joe are Perfect complements. I understand the injury risk but guess what, that's rlevant to every position so by that standard, let's not pay Joe either because he has a risk of being injured. When you talk about shelf life, you talk about duration of contract, not amount payed.
@Langley486

#23 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,463 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:02 AM

How is anyone saying they are okay with Ray Rice leaving after this year? Really think about it. He has been durable for his 4-year career and has gone over 1,200 rushing yards each season the last 3 seasons. The money shouldn't be the issue guys the duration should be the issue. I have no issue paying Rice 13 mill. because he is not just a runningback, he is a playmaker. If you're content to let Rice go than you're ready to see out offense become bad again. I love Flacco and I think he can at time carry the offense but he needs Rice. I say pay the guy and make it a 4-year deal. That's not high risk, 6 and 7 year deals are. I just don't get how letting you're most productive player go makes sense. If you honestly think anyone on roster can make up for his production, please go ahead and explain away but I'm not buying it. Giving Rice a new deal is good business because without him, we will not win as many games. He is a difference maker. Him and Joe are Perfect complements. I understand the injury risk but guess what, that's rlevant to every position so by that standard, let's not pay Joe either because he has a risk of being injured. When you talk about shelf life, you talk about duration of contract, not amount payed.

I think most people would like to have him back at the right price. They are just not willing to break the bank for prior performance. With RB's having that short shelf-life, you don't want to be spending a ton for what he has done previously. It has to be because you believe he can continue to excel.

I would not mind the contract Brobey suggested. Other that that, I'd be comfortable with franchising for the 2nd year next year, and probably being done after that.

#24 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:03 AM

How is anyone saying they are okay with Ray Rice leaving after this year?

Who said that?

#25 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:05 AM

Who said that?

A few posts up, someone said they're okay with Rice and others moving on. It just gets me going hahaha I Didn't mean to come off as mad just a little frustrating to hear.
@Langley486

#26 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:09 AM

I think most people would like to have him back at the right price. They are just not willing to break the bank for prior performance. With RB's having that short shelf-life, you don't want to be spending a ton for what he has done previously. It has to be because you believe he can continue to excel.

I would not mind the contract Brobey suggested. Other that that, I'd be comfortable with franchising for the 2nd year next year, and probably being done after that.

And that is the contract I expect to get agreed upon. In no way do I believe he needs AP and CJ money, but he deserves a fair deal. Something like Foster got in my opinion. It wasn't an enormous deal by any means but it was fair. Duration is a huge factor and I see a 4-year deal for about 40-47 mil. with about 20 mil. of it guaranteed is absolutely fair.

I do expect a second franchise tag though because I feel Joe is more of a priority for them at this point. I apologize for my post I just know Rice a little bit because my friend went to school with him and he is a good guy and I just want him to be a Raven.
@Langley486

#27 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:26 AM

RBs can be found...easily.

Paying a guy a bunch of money at a dime a dozen position and one where the players get hurt often is not something I would do.

Rice is very important to the offense..no doubt.

But acting like he is the only RB out there that can be that important is wrong.

The best RBs in the league, outside of APete and CJ were all 2nd round picks or later.

#28 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:28 AM

A few posts up, someone said they're okay with Rice and others moving on. It just gets me going hahaha I Didn't mean to come off as mad just a little frustrating to hear.

I am ok with it because the NFL is structured in a way where you have to be ok with it.

If the salary cap didn't exist, I would be all for him staying.

But intelligence has to outweigh sentiment and I question how good Rice will be in 3 years and I am not willing to give him 20-30 million guaranteed to find out.

#29 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,463 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:51 PM

I apologize for my post I just know Rice a little bit because my friend went to school with him and he is a good guy and I just want him to be a Raven.

Nothing to apologize for! Your opinion here is perfectly reasonable.

#30 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:14 PM

Good write up here:

http://www.mockingth... ... d-afc-east

#31 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,554 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:02 PM

Nothing to apologize for! Your opinion here is perfectly reasonable.

Agreed. Trust me, I want nothing more than for Rice to be a Raven for life. Depending how this plays out, however, it may not be in the best interest of the team.

#32 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:40 AM

Agreed. Trust me, I want nothing more than for Rice to be a Raven for life. Depending how this plays out, however, it may not be in the best interest of the team.

Yeah I mean, I definitely agree that he shouldn't be getting AP and CJ money because that was just an atocious amount of money. I though Arian Foster had a very good deal that was relatively low risk. 4-years 20 mil. or so guaranteed, that's a fair shake.
@Langley486

#33 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:44 PM

DeCosta said #Ravens had 7 players they would have traded up for in 1st round. Dont'a Hightower was not one of them

DeCosta: Gino Gradkowski was probably the favorite pick. Upshaw will be the biggest steal 3 years from now

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=