• Please log in to reply
298 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:43 AM

MD will have a packed house to face the Orange. Had 'Cuse not lost last night to Boston College, I would have liked MD's chances a bit more.

Would expect that loss will help refocus Syracuse. On the other-hand, maybe Syracuse losing that game will remind the MD players that the Orange can be beat.

We know the odds of MD playing their way into the tournament are unlikely. However, if they can win this game, they still have a chance. It's true they could win this game, and still lose any of the 3 other remaining regular season games @Clemson, vs. VaTech, and vs. UVA.... but MD can win those games as well.

Bringing back the focus to Syracuse, it is pointless to think about the other 3 games until we see what happens Monday.

When MD played Duke, I wasn't anticipating MD having a great chance. It is understandable why they did though. Duke plays an up-and-down game, which allowed MD's guards and wings the ability to score in transition. MD's guards and wings were also helped by Duke not having a great interior defender... and by Duke having a poor shooting night from outside.

That game showed that on a given night, MD has enough talent to play with a Top 10 team on the road. Based on that, there is reason to think that on a given night, MD has enough talent to beat Syracuse at home. It will be difficult though, not just because the Orange are very good; but because of the style of play.

That match-up zone figures to cause MD lots of problems. Will Allen and Wells be able to get any penetration? Will MD be able to knock down enough shots from outside? Will MD be able to get out and run at all?

The main reason MD lost at Duke was that the Terps put the Blue Devils on the line too often, and the Terps did not convert enough of their own FT's.  If MD is going to pull the upset Monday, they really have to limit the fouls they give.

#2 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,992 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:47 AM

Syracuse has been struggling lately.  Should've lost not only last night but the two games before hand.

I think it's an easy assumption, and a good story, to make that they'd be more likely to be caught off guard if they were still undefeated rather than coming off of a loss (or two, if they lose to Duke), but I don't think it'll really make a difference.  I think we'll have a shot if we play like we did against FSU, UVa, and Duke.

#3 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:50 AM

Syracuse has been struggling lately.  Should've lost not only last night but the two games before hand.

I think it's an easy assumption, and a good story, to make that they'd be more likely to be caught off guard if they were still undefeated rather than coming off of a loss (or two, if they lose to Duke), but I don't think it'll really make a difference.  I think we'll have a shot if we play like we did against FSU, UVa, and Duke.

Exactly. The possibly bigger factor for Cuse will be that it'll be their 3rd game in 6 days. On the other hand, MD will not have played in 6 days.

#4 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:50 AM

Terps won't be able to rely so heavily on the three-pointer in this game. They have to be able to drive inside, and players like Mitchell need to have the advantage on the boards. Play fast and physical, that's the best chance they have. The fans will be anxious for something to cheer about. Have to get them (us) involved early.

@BSLZackKiesel

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:52 AM

Exactly. The possibly bigger factor for Cuse will be that it'll be their 3rd game in 6 days. On the other hand, MD will not have played in 6 days.

Yeah, this is a good point. Having 6 days to prepare for the match-up zone should help.

#6 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:52 AM

Cuse just isn't playing good basketball right now. The near misses certainly weren't to great teams and the loss to BC at home is insane.

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:53 AM

Terps won't be able to rely so heavily on the three-pointer in this game. They have to be able to drive inside, and players like Mitchell need to have the advantage on the boards. Play fast and physical, that's the best chance they have. The fans will be anxious for something to cheer about. Have to get them (us) involved early.

Often hard to play fast against that zone.  If Allen, Wells, (Faust) aren't able to get some dribble penetration inside... going to be a very tough night.

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:54 AM

Yeah, I think this is fair as well. 

The UVA game, is probably the most similar opponent MD will have had this year.

#9 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:59 AM

Often hard to play fast against that zone.  If Allen, Wells, (Faust) aren't able to get some dribble penetration inside... going to be a very tough night.

I know, but they need to at least try. But I agree that the main thing they need to do is drive with their guards/forwards. That's the way that this team with this personnel can beat the zone. In addition to Allen, Wells, and Faust I'd add Roddy Peters. He doesn't do a whole lot that well quite yet, but his driving ability is good. I'd like to see him get the opportunity to do that. But for the most part, that's going to fall on Allen and Wells.

@BSLZackKiesel

#10 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:26 PM

4-star QB Kai Locksley is among the list of visitors for this game. He, of course, is the son of Terps OC Mike Locksley and is a very highly-regarded recruit.

@BSLZackKiesel

#11 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,510 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:13 PM

Cannot see Syracuse losing 3 in a row. Oh, and I can't let this topic go without mentioning this from today...

"I just thought that was the worst call of the year, that's all," Boeheim said. "I hated to see the game decided on that call."

Welcome to the ACC, Jimmy B....get used to it. :lol:

#12 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:30 PM

Cannot see Syracuse losing 3 in a row. Oh, and I can't let this topic go without mentioning this from today...

Welcome to the ACC, Jimmy B....get used to it. :lol:

I don't see them losing 3 in a row either, but I think it's more reflective of the fact they are the better team, not the current losing "streak." BC was shocking, Duke wasn't.

@levineps

#13 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,510 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:07 AM

I don't see them losing 3 in a row either, but I think it's more reflective of the fact they are the better team, not the current losing "streak." BC was shocking, Duke wasn't.

I think with a tough game at UVA right after UM, they might feel a sense of urgency....such as it is when you are ranked #1 (for the time being) coming into Comcast. That could make a difference.

#14 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:39 PM

Cuse has failed to score 60 points in their last several games.

#15 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:16 AM

Testudo Times: Game Preview

http://www.testudoti...ketball-preview

#16 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:17 AM

Washington Post: Game Preview
http://www.washingto...ewing-the-game/

#17 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:18 AM

CSN Baltimore: Game Preview
http://www.csnbaltim...old-out-comcast

#18 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:01 AM

Cuse is just a 3.5 point favorite. I know they've lost the past two, but I have a hard time seeing the Terps winning.

@levineps

#19 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,992 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:18 AM

If the Terps play a good game, they'll be in it.  If they come out flat (unlikely given the build up and crowd) or are just not executing at all, they'll get rolled as 'Cuse gets healthy.  But if we play like we have recently (with the exception of WF), we'll be in the game down until the end.

#20 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,535 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:45 PM

From the MD Men's Basketball FB page... pretty cool of Turgeon to do this:

Coach Turgeon stopped by the long line outside of Comcast Center to give the students some lunchtime burgers!

Terps take on Syracuse tonight at 7 pm on ESPN!

4KKGgZ7.jpg

• Adam Wolff and Mackus like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=