#3 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:29 PM

Gassaway said last night that Duke is the most efficient offense he gas tracked in the last 6 years.

#4 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:44 PM

85-66 Duke. 

@PeterDiLutis

#5 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:02 PM

85-66 Duke. 

Homer.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#6 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:05 PM

Homer.

Ha, I'm waiting for someone to call a MD victory here.

@levineps

#7 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,535 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:10 PM

Homer.

Ha, I'm waiting for someone to call a MD victory here.

Remain patient young padawan... It may take a while.

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:18 AM

You have to score to beat Duke... not going to slow them down. MD's limited bigs, have to be better than Duke's limited bigs. Particularly on the boards. MD's guards / wings need to score in transition. MD has to limit Duke's foul shots, and find ways to get to the line.

MD will have 15+ turnovers playing in that environment, and at that pace...  Agree that Duke should win by 15+.

#9 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,646 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:40 AM

Yea, don't see much hope here.  Duke as always will get out and overplay the passing lanes and cause havoc.  I hate Duke and I am a Maryland homer but think a 15 point loss seems likely.  I thought Maryland may have caught a break with Duke coming off the Carolina game but mother nature took that away.  Now you are going to have kids with cabin fever getting after it.

I do think Duke is vulnerable to teams with good inside games, but that is not Maryland.

Turgeon will look frustrated and confused in much of this game.

@mikeghg

#10 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:20 AM

Baltimore Sun: 10 most memorable MD/Duke games
http://www.baltimore...06.photogallery

Baltimore Sun: Remembering the highs, the lows, and tennis balls of Cameron Indoor
http://www.baltimore...0,1581404.story

#11 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:53 AM

Testudo Times: Vasquez Senior Night
http://www.testudoti...uke-acc-history

#12 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,535 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:56 AM

Testudo Times: Vasquez Senior Night
http://www.testudoti...uke-acc-history

What a magical game. It was all I had in me to not check my phone at all as I was at First Mariner at a Silversun Pickups/Muse concert while the game was happening. Made it home at about 1 AM and watched the game in it's entirety on my DVR. Still just as good a few hours later than it was live probably. One of my favorite MD memories.

#13 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:53 AM

What a magical game. It was all I had in me to not check my phone at all as I was at First Mariner at a Silversun Pickups/Muse concert while the game was happening. Made it home at about 1 AM and watched the game in it's entirety on my DVR. Still just as good a few hours later than it was live probably. One of my favorite MD memories.

I did the same that night. Had to work late and didn't get to watch it until midnight. Turned my phone off, drove home with the radio off.

It wasn't a win but the last MD/Duke game I went to was when Dave Neal set a screen on Nolan Smith that knock him out cold. Then Neal nailed a three pointer immediately after. Place went absolutely bonkers. Aside from maybe the Duke game they won last year, I doubt Comcast has had that kind of energy since. 

I'll miss getting excited for these games, but I won't miss the biased officiating and being let down more often than not. I would love to stick it to Duke one more time in their house after all the smug comments about MD leaving. But, I feel like Duke will have their way early and often. The spoiled rich boys and ugly girls who make up the student body will chant "ACC" and they'll still claim that we aren't their rivals. Even though it's clear that if you have to go out of your way to say someone isn't a rival, they still are. They don't go out their way to point out Georgia Tech, or Florida State aren't rivals.  

I'm looking at the Big Ten as a fresh start, which is just what MD needs. Been in a rut since Gary's last season. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#14 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,610 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:55 AM

Steve Blake, Jason Williams, stolen ball, half time.

Loudest I've ever heard an arena get.

• Mackus and Mike in STL like this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#15 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:29 AM

I miss Gary.

@PeterDiLutis

#16 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:32 AM

And now after mentioning Gary of course I had to watch a video of the Lucious shot and not I'm miserable. 

@PeterDiLutis

#17 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,992 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:41 AM

Steve Blake, Jason Williams, stolen ball, half time.

Loudest I've ever heard an arena get.

Yep.  Every person in the crowd was going nuts.  My tickets at Cole, before I was a student, were in the faculty section.  It typically was a bit more reserved than other sections.  Everyone was screaming and cheering as loud as they could after that play.  My favorite moment to ever see live at a game.

• PD24 likes this

#18 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:29 PM

Can't forget about this:

duke-kid-crying1.jpg

• Oriole85 and Mike in STL like this

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#19 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:38 PM

Baltimore Sun: 10 most memorable MD/Duke games
http://www.baltimore...06.photogallery

Baltimore Sun: Remembering the highs, the lows, and tennis balls of Cameron Indoor
http://www.baltimore...0,1581404.story

The 2001-02 games will never be topped IMO as a Terps fan. I guess it's possible they develop some rivalry in the Big 10 like that, but I don't envision in it.

@levineps

#20 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:50 PM

Can't forget about this:

duke-kid-crying1.jpg

Definitely probably one of the most searchable sports pictures in Maryland.

I did the same that night. Had to work late and didn't get to watch it until midnight. Turned my phone off, drove home with the radio off.

It wasn't a win but the last MD/Duke game I went to was when Dave Neal set a screen on Nolan Smith that knock him out cold. Then Neal nailed a three pointer immediately after. Place went absolutely bonkers. Aside from maybe the Duke game they won last year, I doubt Comcast has had that kind of energy since. 

I'll miss getting excited for these games, but I won't miss the biased officiating and being let down more often than not. I would love to stick it to Duke one more time in their house after all the smug comments about MD leaving. But, I feel like Duke will have their way early and often. The spoiled rich boys and ugly girls who make up the student body will chant "ACC" and they'll still claim that we aren't their rivals. Even though it's clear that if you have to go out of your way to say someone isn't a rival, they still are. They don't go out their way to point out Georgia Tech, or Florida State aren't rivals.  

I'm looking at the Big Ten as a fresh start, which is just what MD needs. Been in a rut since Gary's last season. 

There was the Senior year of Vasquez, Hayes, and Millbourne where they underachieved with the Lucious shot, but so it goes that's the pitfalls of a single elimination tourney like that, anything can happen to an extent. But I'd say they've be in a rut since they won the ACC Championship with not being in the Tourney on a regular basis, the early round Tourney exits when they are in, and declining attendance.

The Post video showed how great of a rivalry it was, even from the Duke side. No it wasn't UNC, but it was the second best and arguably better in that early 2000s stretch. Of course, the not "our rivals" chant is just rhetoric, and meant to demean the opponents. It would be great to end this series (pending an ACC Tourney matchup) with a win, but it's still anti climatic given the season the Terps are having. Even with a win, I still think making the Tourney isn't likely, and it's shell of what this rivalry was in the heyday when they were both in the top 15, many times much higher.

@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=