• Greg Pappas and Mackus like this

#802 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,101 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 11:28 AM

mweb gave me a free ticket to that game, we sat in CF almost beyond where his triple was hit.

#803 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,876 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 09 August 2022 - 12:19 PM

Manny brought up to help the O's down the stretch and get to the playoffs, 10 years later let's do it again with Gunnar.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#804 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 157,582 posts

Posted 18 July 2024 - 07:49 AM

Traded 6 years ago today. 

Shows how much can change in that time. 

#805 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,096 posts

Posted 18 July 2024 - 07:56 AM

Glad we didn't sign him to that deal he got from SD. They still owe him $315M through age 40. He hasn't had an OPS over .800 in last two seasons. Not that GG awards mean much for defense but hasn't won one since 2020.

Probably a HOF caliber player and the current player with the best chance to get 3,000 hits and 500 HR. I say he probably comes close but is short of both, especially hits. 

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#806 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,101 posts

Posted 18 July 2024 - 08:02 AM

We should've signed him to the first deal.  Would've been a very different progression from 2019 forward, though.  Glad where we are now, but think we would've still been here, maybe gotten here even sooner, if we sign Manny plus we definitely wouldn't have been tanking for several seasons so it wouldn't have been as soul-crushing getting here.

Wouldn't take him on now on that second deal, those don't cover as ideal of a time in his career as the first one would have.

#807 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,096 posts

Posted 18 July 2024 - 08:19 AM

Yes, I wish we had extended him when the two sides were close.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#808 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,101 posts

Posted 18 July 2024 - 08:25 AM

I meant the first FA deal he signed with SD before 2019.  And no to the second extension he signed before last season began.

Absolutely should have signed him pre-arb whenever there was any interest on his side.  Don't think there is anyone in the universe who thinks they shouldn't have done that.  Huge failure by Duquette and Angelos.

#809 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,420 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 18 July 2024 - 10:02 AM

He has said in interviews since, one of the biggest reasons he cut off negotiations and knew he was going to leave was when they didn't re-sign Nelson Cruz. Said he was like a big brother/uncle and meant a LOT to that roster and when they let him go, he started looking at it different.

Dominoes. Every move you make or don't make has a ripple effect, some bigger than others. One could argue Markakis was another. Aaron Sele back in the day. Sometimes the move or non move has some logic to it, other times it doesn't, but it almost always affects more than just one thing. The replacement cost. Difference in production. Hindsight is cheap, foresight is priceless.

@JeremyMStrain

#810 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,555 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 18 July 2024 - 11:14 AM

Glad we let him walk. His approach the year he was clearly trying to reach the 30/30 club to the detriment of the team pretty well soured me on him.

#811 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,639 posts

Posted 18 July 2024 - 11:36 AM

Glad we let him walk. His approach the year he was clearly trying to reach the 30/30 club to the detriment of the team pretty well soured me on him.

I don't remember this at all. The only year he was remotely close was 2015 and he was very good, best bWAR year and 4th in MVP vote.

2018 was annoying because Buck made him a SS again, I always assumed mostly because Manny wanted to be a SS for FA purposes. 

#812 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 18 July 2024 - 11:43 AM

He had 8 steals in 96 games when he was traded.  Like makoman said, him playing SS is what was annoying.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=