802 replies to this topic

#761 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,784 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 07:32 PM

I was at the fake throw game as well. Also was there last year for his HR to the second deck.

#762 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 09:18 PM

I was also at the fake throw game. OH night.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#763 fishteacher

fishteacher

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,880 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 17 July 2018 - 11:41 PM

I could cry....and I'm 100% serious.  

I'm here to do two things...chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum. ~ Roddy Piper
@therealjfisher

#764 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 01:17 AM

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#765 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 01:23 AM

Amazing play. But here is the thing. He didnt field it cleanly initially. So while my gut was to call it the greatest play Ive seen him make how much do you dock him for not fielding it cleanly and needing to do the amazing things after

#766 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 01:36 AM

bnickle, on 18 Jul 2018 - 01:28, said:
Amazing play. But here is the thing. He didnt field it cleanly initially. So while my gut was to call it the greatest play Ive seen him make how much do you dock him for not fielding it cleanly and needing to do the amazing things after

The initial mistake is not what's important to me. What's important to me is it was a clear case of him doing something that Brooks couldn't do... ever... and he somehow made it look easy...

Manny was born to play 3B... he's just too young and into himself to realize it...

ps: I wish that clip showed the expression on the guy's face when he was called out... he reacted like Martians had just landed on his lawn...
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#767 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 July 2018 - 05:56 AM

Actually, shouldn’t he get even more credit? It actually made throwing the player out harder and despite the mini boot, he kept his composure. Mentally, he could have shut down.

What really makes the play and any play like that is a slower runner. A fast runner and he doesn’t make the throw.

#768 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 18 July 2018 - 08:13 PM

https://twitter.com/...750058076483584

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#769 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 08:19 PM

The sports science piece ESPN did for this play makes it seem even more unreal that he pulled it off. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#770 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 08:27 PM

I saw him up close twice. Went to a game in Hagerstown  when Delmarva was in town. Machado vs. Harper. Manny had a decent game. Harper struck out a couple times and looked like brat doing it. 

Also saw him in Frederick in one of their championship series games. 

His first two home runs in his second MLB game was something I'll never forget.

In the good years, it seemed like he was doing highlight reel plays nightly. Gary Thorne shouting "Mercy!" a lot. A lot more than he has at SS anyway. He was worth tuning in for. 

Hate that he dogged it at times. But otherwise thanks for the memories. As long as he stays in the NL, or the 1 in a billon chance he re-signs here, I'll be a fan. Come elsewhere in the AL East and he'll be dead to me, by association. Glad he's handled this horrible season with class, and won't blame him for taking the most money this winter. But if he's a Yank or a Sock, I have no choice but to not root for him.

@BSLMikeRandall

#771 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 July 2018 - 01:32 PM

Good Luck to Manny.  I think he handled himself pretty well this year.  I echo Mike R's thoughts, if he winds up with the Sox or Yankees, I will not be wishing him well.

I have never liked the Dodgers, but if he gets a ring then good for him

@mikeghg

#772 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 02:55 PM

37424856_10151080438339990_1198724844032

• SBTarheel, RShack and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#773 FL O's Fan

FL O's Fan
  • Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 11:14 AM

I don't know if this is the place to post stuff like this because no one has posted here in a couple years, but I enjoyed reading this article on ESPN about Manny. 

I've felt a full range of emotions since he left. I knew it was inevitable yet was sad that we couldn't keep a HOF caliber player. When he was with the Dodgers I felt like he had some poor moments and then his start with the Padres was rough to where I started to question how motivated he would be the rest of his career.

But I believe I was wrong to question that. There's been a lot of pressure on him since he left Baltimore, and perhaps now he's settling in. It sounds like it. I feel good for him and am happy for him. I look forward to following the Padres in the playoffs. 

https://www.espn.com...nce-back-season

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#774 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 04 September 2020 - 12:23 PM

I would be lying if I said I don't miss him.

#775 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 12:26 PM

I would be lying if I said I don't miss him.

Amen, I was pissed to see him go, how many stud HOF do you draft and bring up through your system?

#776 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 04 September 2020 - 01:28 PM

Just got my Machado Padres jersey in the mail yesterday.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#777 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 10:00 AM

Orioles were giant losers in this trade. Letting him walk without a trade would have essentially been the same thing. Big thanks to DD for operating the team like he wasn’t going to be a part of it in the future. Also big thanks to the O’s for being a “classy organization” and not firing him mid season and letting the next guy make the trade to best set up the about to be rebuilding O’s for future success. Not making the trade as if he was going to be working for a team playing against the O’s one day.
  • Mackus likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#778 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,784 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 10:01 AM

Orioles were giant losers in this trade. Letting him walk without a trade would have essentially been the same thing. Big thanks to DD for operating the team like he wasn’t going to be a part of it in the future. Also big thanks to the O’s for being a “classy organization” and not firing him mid season and letting the next guy make the trade to best set up the about to be rebuilding O’s for future success. Not making the trade as if he was going to be working for a team playing against the O’s one day.

Did Diaz quit? :)

I hated having to trade him, and it wasn't a particularly good trade, but still a better haul then letting him walk.

He should've been signed years before we got to 2018. Bigger fail than the Davis contract, IMO.
  • DuffMan, Mike in STL and BSLRoseKatz like this

#779 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 10:10 AM

Did Diaz quit? :)

I hated having to trade him, and it wasn't a particularly good trade, but still a better haul then letting him walk.

He should've been signed years before we got to 2018. Bigger fail than the Davis contract, IMO.

Same outcome.

HOF stud gone.

Nothing to show for it.

#780 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,258 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 29 April 2021 - 10:16 AM

There were several things the O's could have done.

1. Extend him early on.

2. Extend him toward the end.

3. Trade him early on.

4. Trade him toward the end.

5. Just hold on and let him walk.

There were pros and cons to 1, 2, and 3. 4 and 5 weren't much different and bound to be shitty outcomes. They chose one of the shitty outcome approaches. Yes 4 is better than 5. But not by much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=