Photo

BSL: Terps over Seminoles; What did we see?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,505 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 05:21 PM

BSL: Terps over Seminoles; What did we see?

The University of Maryland beat Florida State 83-71 at home, to improve to 14-10 overall and 6-5 in the Atlantic Coast Conference. This ended a 4 game Terrapins losing streak against the Seminoles, and gave Coach Turgeon his first win vs. FSU.

It will be a quick turn-around for the Terps, as they head to Charlottesville Monday night to face the Cavaliers.

What did we see?

1) The Terrapins 1st half, was their most impressive stretch of play this season.  The 2nd half was less spectacular; but after initially extending their lead further, the Terps were able to hold off a would-be comeback attempt from the Seminoles.

1a) Maryland made 62% of their 1st half attempts (16 of 26 overall, 6 of 14 from 3). With this scorching pace, the Terps raced out to a 17 point lead (46-29) at the break.

1b) For the game, the Terps shot 52%, including 42% (10 of 24) from 3.

2) Allen led the way for MD. In the 1st half, Allen hit 7 of his 9 attempts, including 4 of 6 from 3. He also added two 1st half steals. For the game, Allen finished with a career high 32 points. He also 4 boards, 2 assists, and 2 steals. Allen was 11 of 15 from the floor, including 7 of 10 from 3. Wonderful game for the Sophomore.

3) Getting the start today, Mitchell responded with 6 points (3 of 3 from the floor), and 3 boards in the 1st half. Mitchell finished with 8 points (4 of 5 from the floor), and 5 boards.

4) Maryland even got to the line, and converted once there in the 1st half. (Terps were 8 of 10 in the 1st half.) For the game, MD was 19 of 23 (83%). A great showing from the Terps here.

5) Layman had 10 points in the 1st half, scoring from the outside twice in the last minute plus. Layman would finish with 12 points, 5 boards, 1 assist, and 2 blocks. His best play of the game came with under a minute left, with his hustle dive to the floor; seeking possession for the Terps.

6) Wells had a quiet 1st half scoring wise (2 points, 2 attempts), but added 5 assists and 2 blocks. Wells would finish with 15 points, and 6 assists. When FSU was attempting to comeback late, the ball found Wells hands more often.

7) With MD shooting as well as they did in the 1st half, there were limited opportunities for offensive boards. Due to that, FSU had a 19-12 rebounding edge after the first 20 minutes. For the game, the Seminoles won on the glass 38-31.

8) The Terps were consistently looking to create offense from defense, and push the ball in transition. Great to see.

9) Besides the excellent shooting, another reason the offense was so productive in the 1st half was that MD had just 4 turnovers. For the game, MD finished with 13. There were moments of sloppy play in the 2nd half, perhaps partially related to MD easing up a bit with the extended lead.

10) There were a couple of beautiful oops from MD today - one from Wells to Faust, and another from Allen to Wells.

11) Minutes were limited today for Smotrycz, and I think that improved MD's defense.

12) Cleare and Graham combined for 10 boards off the bench.

13) Faust was 1 of 6 from the floor (including 0 of 4 from 3), but had 6 points, 3 boards, and 3 assists.

• You Play to Win the Game and Greg Pappas like this

#2 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,364 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:01 PM

I was at the game, so I wasn't in full-on analyst mode, but here's a few things I noticed:

1. Obviously Seth Allen was on fire. 32 points, and his FG% was freaking insane. That's what he can do when he's fully healthy. Not only that, but he was getting really good looks. He was driving to the hoop and hitting the outside jumpers. Amazing game from him.

2. Jake Layman had a really nice game. A few of his shots were ill-advised, but overall I liked what I saw from him. Thought he was really aggressive on his drives and hit some good looks from beyond the arc.

3. Smotrycz was pretty bad...again. Was really hoping for more out of him this season. If he played a little better offensively, it could excuse the bad defense. But Turgeon is going to have to continue to lessen his minutes.

4. Obviously FSU is a talented rebounding team, but I really thought Maryland would have had more of an advantage on the boards than they did. This game would have been a massive blowout if the Terps had been able to cut down the second chances just a little.

5. The crowd really surprised me at Comcast today. I figured there'd be a lot of empty seats, but it was a good turnout. Especially from the students. There didn't look to be an empty seat in the student section. But of course, I was surrounded by fellow students screaming our heads off, so someone in the upper deck may have had a different gauge on the crowd. Seemed like an energetic one.

Very, very slowly, this team is improving. I just wish we could have seen this energy earlier in the season when it mattered most. I mean, this improvement is nice, but at the end of the day you have to get somewhere. And starting off slow and ending fast isn't going to do it. It's like the Orioles getting really hot in September, but still finishing 30 games out of first place. Hopefully this is a sign of better things to come, but I just have a really hard time feeling optimistic after what I've watched from this team over the past 2+ years. Hopefully they prove me wrong. If they can beat UVA and/or Duke, then we're talking. But if they go 0-3 over this next stretch, we're back to where we started.

EDIT: I see the crowd listed at 14,783. That seems about right. That whole color scheme thing they tried to do failed miserably. But the people who did show up were energetic. That place was rocking at the end of the first half. If Allen had made that last 3-pointer, the roof may have come off.

• BSLChrisStoner and You Play to Win the Game like this
@BSLZackKiesel

#3 8istheman

8istheman
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 02:34 AM

One thing we did not see was Dodd.  Would have like to see him get some burn.

Peters had a bad turnover and was pulled with only 3 minutes for the game.  

These two players need to see some more playing time.

• BSLChrisStoner and Mike B like this

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:20 PM

This was about the exact opposite of the Carolina game.  Everyone played well except for Smotrycz.  Peters wasn't good, but he at least did a couple nice things before screwing up a couple times and getting yanked.  Cleare wasn't a liability at all tonight, didn't get a ton of time, but I thought he defended and rebounded quite well.  Graham was getting physically abused by FSU's bigs, but he took it and played solid minutes.  Mitchell again was the best big man for the Terps, especially in the first half.

The story definitely will be Allen, but I thought Dez was just as good.  He barely scored in the first half, but he was involved everywhere.  Layman also had a nice game, and the hustle play diving into the backcourt at the end of the game to force the FSU player to knock the ball out of bounds may have been my favorite MD play of the entire season.  And he knew it, too, got up yelling and screaming.  Nice to see some passion out of him.

This is the team we hoped to see this year.  Competent play from the big men, tough defense, and scoring from the perimeter and slashers.  I've got no faith that they'll keep it up and carry it down into Charlottesville, but it was fun to see.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:22 PM

If Peters gets his head out of his ass, I agree.  He makes as many or more dumb plays as he does good ones, though, even in limited minutes.  If he starts playing smarter, he'll get more minutes, but he certainly doesn't deserve more than he's getting now.  He's got the skills to be effective right now, though he really needs to improve his jumper, but he's not playing intelligently enough to merit any court time.

Dodd isn't ready for this level yet.  He's the most athletic big we've got by a landslide, but he doesn't react well defensively and unless he gets a feed for an open dunk, he's incapable of adding anything offensively.  I think he'll likely be the 2nd best big behind Mitchell next year after some more learning in the offseason, but he's effectively useless right now aside from an uncontested dunk.

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,505 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:22 PM

Agree about Dodd. I'd like to see him getting Graham's minutes.

#7 8istheman

8istheman
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:37 PM

One of the best plays of the night was Layman's block from behind on a FSU fast break.  That was at a pivotal aspect of the game.  He showed great hustle getting back and blocking.  Most have talked about him diving on the floor, but the way he ran back on defense, has been lacking for most Terps this year.  How many times this year, have they been celebrating a basket, and then the opposing team goes coast to coast for an easy layup?

#8 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:59 PM

The frustrating thing is you know we are not that far away. The lack of a good post player on both ends really kills this team.

They still play too dumb at times and turn the ball over too much but if Len was here I really believe we're a tourney team this year.

In retrospect, it hurts that Alex was able to qualify and play that first year.

Edit: When I say not that far away, I mean not that far away from being a Top 30ish team. We're not close to being a NC contender.

#9 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:05 PM

Agree completely that interior play is the team's biggest weakness, not PG play.  Even before Allen came back.

#10 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,364 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:14 PM

Agree completely that interior play is the team's biggest weakness, not PG play.  Even before Allen came back.

Agreed. How many times have we seen this team's interior defenders either out of position or lacking the ability to stop a hard drive inside? Having that big presence underneath the basket had been a strength for this team with Jordan Williams and Alex Len. Mitchell and Cleare don't seem able to be that big presence. Hopefully Dodd will grow into that role. And hopefully Trayvon Reed can eventually bulk up enough to be that guy as well.

@BSLZackKiesel

#11 8istheman

8istheman
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:16 PM

We need an old school face up post player.  I think Chuck has a chance to develop into this role but will need time, plus work on free throws.

This team would be so much more dangerous with an established inside out game.  

#12 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,667 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 February 2014 - 02:14 PM

I was surprised Dodd did not see time yesterday.  If Maryland does a better job on the boards this game would have been a 25 point win. 

I think Turgeon is feeling the pressure.  The best part about freshman is they get better as they become sophmores if they are goven a chance to get some game exp.  Turgeon does not allow either Dodd or Peters to get any run and it is going to hurt him next year.

@mikeghg

#13 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,667 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 February 2014 - 02:20 PM

Your right.  Even it what was an impressive game for the Terps their weak inside play showed,    Cleare tries hard but is always in foul trouble and has one post move.  He tries to back a his guy down and then tries the jump hook.  He is very slow off his feet which hurts him on both sides of the ball and in rebounding.

Mitchell is a bull and is getting better, but my guess he is probably closer to 6'6", which causes him to have shoot over guys too much.  His effort is fun to watch though.  He is a fighter.  Graham is probably better suitied for a pick and pop game.  I saw him quite a bit at Calvert Hall and he does have an outside game, or did.

Smot is one dimensional who can not find his guy to boxout with a road map plus he gets killed in the post defensively.

Turgeon needs to give Dodd some run.    

@mikeghg

#14 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 02:46 PM

I just don't see why anyone would be clamoring for Dodd to get more playing time.

Sure, it'd be really nice if we had an 6'9" athletic big man who could defend the lane.  That would be excellent.  But that isn't Dodd right now.  It's just blind hope to think he is that guy right now.  Every time he's played he's shown the same things.  He can't rotate back defensively after flashing on the high ball screen, forgets which guy he's supposed to be covering when he does try to rotate back, and can't guard one-on-one post moves particularly well.  The only thing he's done well defensively, IMO, is blocking shots as a second, help defender.  He is quick to cover and quick off his feet, and can leap and has long arms, all great qualities for that aspect.  But that's such a small part of what Maryland tries to do defensively.  If he was able to play this defensive scheme, he'd be in there.  He's certainly not blocked by anyone else.

Honestly, Graham is the guy that plays the defense Turgeon wants the best.  He executes it better than anyone else.  He just isn't up to bar from a physical standpoint to hang with the guys he's guarding.

And offensively, Dodd's got zero game.  Even less than the limited moves Cleare and Mitchell have.  He can finish at the basket if he gets a lok, but that's his only offensive skill right now.  He probably wouldn't hurt us offensively any more than Graham or Cleare do, but he's no type of upgrade, either.  He's a downgrade from Mitchell, because Mitchell runs the high point well, setting screens and handing the ball off, and can get offensive rebounds for put backs.  Mitchell's offensive rebounding is the only contribution we ever get from our big men, and I don't see Dodd changing that this season.  He's got the physical tools to be a contributor if he improves his skill, but he's not there currently.

#15 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,505 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:09 PM

I just don't see why anyone would be clamoring for Dodd to get more playing time.

Sure, it'd be really nice if we had an 6'9" athletic big man who could defend the lane.  That would be excellent.  But that isn't Dodd right now.  It's just blind hope to think he is that guy right now.  Every time he's played he's shown the same things.  He can't rotate back defensively after flashing on the high ball screen, forgets which guy he's supposed to be covering when he does try to rotate back, and can't guard one-on-one post moves particularly well.  The only thing he's done well defensively, IMO, is blocking shots as a second, help defender.  He is quick to cover and quick off his feet, and can leap and has long arms, all great qualities for that aspect.  But that's such a small part of what Maryland tries to do defensively.  If he was able to play this defensive scheme, he'd be in there.  He's certainly not blocked by anyone else.

Honestly, Graham is the guy that plays the defense Turgeon wants the best.  He executes it better than anyone else.  He just isn't up to bar from a physical standpoint to hang with the guys he's guarding.

And offensively, Dodd's got zero game.  Even less than the limited moves Cleare and Mitchell have.  He can finish at the basket if he gets a lok, but that's his only offensive skill right now.  He probably wouldn't hurt us offensively any more than Graham or Cleare do, but he's no type of upgrade, either.  He's a downgrade from Mitchell, because Mitchell runs the high point well, setting screens and handing the ball off, and can get offensive rebounds for put backs.  Mitchell's offensive rebounding is the only contribution we ever get from our big men, and I don't see Dodd changing that this season.  He's got the physical tools to be a contributor if he improves his skill, but he's not there currently.

I'd like to see him over Graham, because I think he can provide the same or better defense and rebounding that Graham does, and you won't lose anything offensively. Think Graham hustles well, and has more experience.... think Dodd has better physical skills.

Doesn't really matter to me though, as we're talking about the 2nd big off the bench and limited minutes per game. It is not a big deal, and I think your point that if Dodd was earning that additional time in practice, he'd be getting that additional time in games is valid enough.

I was happy to see Mitchell start yesterday. We know his limitations, but he is a good offensive rebounder, plays with energy... is a capable put-back scorer. He's averaging 22 mts per game the last 3 games, vs. his 18.1 mts per game average for the season. The longer he's on the court, the better imo.

#16 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:54 PM

I'm tired of hearing about how Virginia plays such a slow down game, blah blah blah. Why is it that whenever we play a team that does something, we have to play that way.

The Terps need to become the team that imposes THEIR will on the other team. The talent on the court in MD vs VA will not be that far off. It's all about coaching, scheme, experience, and intelligence. The Terps can run better than VA. I hope Turgeon realizes that because if the Terps think they're going to win a half court team with Virginia, they are sorely mistaken.

@PeterDiLutis

#17 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,505 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:24 PM

I'm tired of hearing about how Virginia plays such a slow down game, blah blah blah. Why is it that whenever we play a team that does something, we have to play that way.

The Terps need to become the team that imposes THEIR will on the other team. The talent on the court in MD vs VA will not be that far off. It's all about coaching, scheme, experience, and intelligence. The Terps can run better than VA. I hope Turgeon realizes that because if the Terps think they're going to win a half court team with Virginia, they are sorely mistaken.

UVA is 10-1 in conference, and has the #2 ranked Scoring Defense in the country. Turgeon will have MD trying to run, but it's unlikely MD will be in position to impose their will.

#18 BSLMattJergensen

BSLMattJergensen

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:49 AM

The rotations were pretty spot on here. I feel that you go 8 maybe touch 9 due to managing foul trouble. They played 9 if you include Peters 3 minutes.

Graham is limited but he hustles every play. Considering the Terps issues with consistent effort he has to get minutes. I agree that Dodd appears to have more upside so then he needs to take those minutes from a player who is at the very least working hard.

It is disappointing how Peters minutes have shrank but there isn't much confidence in him now and his game doesn't warrant more time right now. Allen, Wells, and Layman played 30 plus and that's how it should be for now.

Watching Layman lay out for a losse ball is just the kind of stuff that has been lacking from this team. I loved Turgeon's reaction to it as well.

I agree that if they want to beat the Cavs on the road they will need to mix the 1-3-1 half court trap in with some full court to push the pace. Tempo will be key. If it's a half court game forget it.

I understand what you're gettig at PD. MD needs to play it's style which is pushing the break and knocking down open looks from distance to have a chance.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=