#161 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 December 2014 - 05:04 PM

Just get rid of the damn verbal commitment!! Anybody who gets excited about a verbal commitment is foolish.  

I agree with you that it's often a meaningless gesture. The term "commitment" is being misused.

• BSLMikeLowe likes this

#162 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,485 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 15 December 2014 - 07:52 PM

I agree with you that it's often a meaningless gesture. The term "commitment" is being misused.

Yeah, just call it what it is...."This is who I like most, today."

On one hand, you'd like to see the kid have a better understanding of what a "commitment" means. On the other hand, if we didn't constantly want to know what school they would choose, they wouldn't feel the need to publicize it so much. I'm sure back in the day, before social media, the interwebz, and before ESPN had enough channels to devote programming to this stuff, recruits still changed their minds all the time. We just didn't read or hear about it. You simply waited until Signing Day, bought a newspaper and saw who would play for your favorite school.

Damnit, now I sound like one of those bitter, fist-waving old men I swore I'd never become. I need a drink.
  • Greg Pappas likes this

#163 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:27 PM

Yeah, just call it what it is...."This is who I like most, today."

On one hand, you'd like to see the kid have a better understanding of what a "commitment" means. On the other hand, if we didn't constantly want to know what school they would choose, they wouldn't feel the need to publicize it so much. I'm sure back in the day, before social media, the interwebz, and before ESPN had enough channels to devote programming to this stuff, recruits still changed their minds all the time. We just didn't read or hear about it. You simply waited until Signing Day, bought a newspaper and saw who would play for your favorite school.

Damnit, now I sound like one of those bitter, fist-waving old men I swore I'd never become. I need a drink.

Well said... and BTW, I know what you mean about feeling like an old man. LOL

#164 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,485 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 09:25 PM

Well said... and BTW, I know what you mean about feeling like an old man. LOL

Back in my high school-college years, there were certain days when the very first thing I'd do after getting out of bed was make a bee-line for the nearest convenience store or paper box and pick up a USA Today. The most important one was the Monday after the March Madness brackets were announced....cracking open their tournament preview section was practically a religious experience. The other two times were the day after LOIs were signed for football and basketball. USA Today did the best job of breaking down all the signings for the major D-1 schools.
  • Greg Pappas likes this

#165 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,355 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 17 December 2014 - 06:54 PM

Testudo Times: JuCo DL Ulric Jones commits to South Carolina

http://www.testudoti...-south-carolina

This puts Maryland in a bit of a bind, as both of their JuCo end prospects have now committed elsewhere. Jones tried to commit to Maryland a while back, but the staff wanted him to visit first. He then received an offer from the Gamecocks, causing him to re-consider, and now he's headed to the SEC. Maryland needs some immediate help at the position, so it's Byron Cowart, Austrian Robinson, someone new or bust. Jones is rated a three-star prospect by the 247Sports composite, rating as the 7th-best strong-side defensive end in the nation.

Well this sucks.

@BSLZackKiesel

#166 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,607 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:07 PM

So it was a position of need, he wanted to commit and we said no? Did someone drop the ball here?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#167 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,355 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:10 PM

So it was a position of need, he wanted to commit and we said no? Did someone drop the ball here?

Terps didn't say no, and I don't believe anyone dropped the ball. The staff wanted him to visit first, which isn't uncommon. South Carolina stepped in and took him. From what I'm hearing, he was never fully sold on Maryland to begin with. 

@BSLZackKiesel

#168 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,485 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 01:51 PM

What is it that is so difficult about identifying units where you need personnel BEFORE it becomes an issue, and recruiting with that in mind? For years this problem was left unresolved on the OL, and the result was for the past two seasons they were left playing guys that have no business being on this level....and it showed.

So now they have finally started to address that side of the ball and maybe things will really start to improve....but no, we can't enjoy nice things on offense AND defense now, can we? So who on the coaching staff forgot to distribute the memo a couple years back that a ton of guys on the Front 7 were set to have their eligibility expire after this season? I mean, this isn't exactly a breaking news type of story. Oh, and here's another news flash....MD's rush defense ranked #98 in FBS this season (over 200 yds/gm). I know I'm just an observer who lacks the brilliance of a college football coach, but I would think you might want to try and improve on that....and you're not likely to do that when you replace half your rotation with.....nobody.

#169 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,355 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:11 PM

What is it that is so difficult about identifying units where you need personnel BEFORE it becomes an issue, and recruiting with that in mind? For years this problem was left unresolved on the OL, and the result was for the past two seasons they were left playing guys that have no business being on this level....and it showed.

So now they have finally started to address that side of the ball and maybe things will really start to improve....but no, we can't enjoy nice things on offense AND defense now, can we? So who on the coaching staff forgot to distribute the memo a couple years back that a ton of guys on the Front 7 were set to have their eligibility expire after this season? I mean, this isn't exactly a breaking news type of story. Oh, and here's another news flash....MD's rush defense ranked #98 in FBS this season (over 200 yds/gm). I know I'm just an observer who lacks the brilliance of a college football coach, but I would think you might want to try and improve on that....and you're not likely to do that when you replace half your rotation with.....nobody.

After the 2012 season, the Terps had to replace 5 members of their starting Front 7. I was very impressed that they weren't filling those holes with freshmen, they were replacing them with juniors and seniors. It made the transition seamless, and there wasn't much of a drop-off in terms of talent that year. The problem that season was the defensive backfield, where Dexter McDougle and Jeremiah Johnson both suffered season-ending injuries very early in the year.

Yes, they'll have to replace a lot of members of the Front 7 after this season. Let's take it position by position:

SDE: Andre Monroe started here this season, but Roman Braglio (will be a JR) is extremely talented and more than ready to take over. No worries here.

WDE: Quinton Jefferson (will be a SR) was supposed to start here this season, but got hurt before the year began. Keith Bowers started here instead. Jefferson will be back for 2015. Once again, no worries here.

NT: This is where things get a little tricky. Darius Kilgo started here this season. It'll be up to David Shaw (will be a SO) and Adam McLean (will be a FR) to take over. Shaw got some good playing time this year, and we all know how good McLean is. I'm not worried about this position too much.

SLB: Yannik Cudjoe-Virgil and Yannick Ngakoue (will be a JR) shared time here this season. Ngakoue will start, and will be a monster. Not worried about this position at all.

ILB: Cole Farrand and L.A. Goree are both moving on. Jermaine Carter (will be a SO) and Abner Logan (will be a JR) will take over. Both have solid playing time, and are not green by any means. Both are very talented players. Not too worried here.

WLB: Matt Robinson started here this season, and there will be a few players vying for this spot. Cavon Walker (will be a JR) and Avery Thompson (will be a SR) are both solid enough players, but I'm hoping that Jesse Aniebonam (will be a SO) is able to move over from the strong-side and take this spot. If not, I wouldn't worry too much about Walker. I like his cover ability at this spot.

So I don't really understand the worry. Did they miss out on some prospects? Sure. But I'd have a tough time seeing Jones start right away, he's blocked by Jefferson and Braglio. They team certainly needs some more depth, but remember you also have Malik Jones, Ty Tucker, and Kingsley Opara at the DE spots. They aren't starter-caliber just yet, but they're great for rotational depth. Everybody needs to calm down, because there's still plenty of talent on the Front 7. Just need some depth.

@BSLZackKiesel

#170 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,485 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 03:07 PM

We can identify potential starters headed into next season, sure. That's not the issue....of course, it's depth. You've got nothing of proven substance behind them for when the (inevitable) injuries occur or simply to rotate during games. That's something that is only going to get worse as the season progresses. The fact that they have been actively chasing JuCo guys is a clear indication to me that the coaching staff has concerns. What gets me is that it should never have had to reach this point. It didn't require an astrologist to see this was coming two years ago, and to start recruiting accordingly back then.

#171 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,355 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 18 December 2014 - 06:07 PM

Testudo Times: Adam McLean says he will recruit 'like crazy' at Under Armour All-American Game

http://www.testudoti...nder-armour-all

Kai Locksley tweeted back. He and Byron Cowart will be there. Cowart is expected to make his decision at the game on January 2.

• Greg Pappas likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#172 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,355 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 21 December 2014 - 12:40 PM

InsideMDSports: Oklahoma De-Commit Says He'll Visit Maryland

http://maryland.247s...ryland-34025847

With Maryland still looking to replenish its defensive line and several targets recently falling off the board, a new name has appeared on the Terps' radar: former Oklahoma commit Tyrell Jacobs. Jacobs had been committed for almost four months, but was open to visiting other schools, including Maryland. Earlier today, Jacobs made his de-commitment official and reopened his recruitment.

Jacobs plans on making a decision around National Signing Day, so suitors are sure to line up for the 6-4, 260-pound senior. Jacobs is a three-star recruit with 19 offers including Cal, Louisville, Tennessee and UCF. The 72nd-best defensive tackle in the country according to the 247Sports Composite, he has a rating of .8399.

He's listed as a DT, but would play DE in the 3-4.

• Greg Pappas likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#173 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,355 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:30 PM

Testudo Times: Maryland commit Ty Johnson releases incredible new highlight tape
http://www.testudoti...-highlight-tape

Very impressive tape. Still need to see more of his between-the-tackles running, but certainly has more speed than any RB on the Terps' roster (now that Veii is a WR). I see great patience and vision, allowing his blocks to be set up before he blasts around the end. Locksley's offense is built on an inside zone running game, so he needs a RB who can be shifty inside the tackles. Johnson will have a year or two to build up himself and his skills. Really exciting future for this kid.

Should mention that he could have a future at CB or WR. But I actually really like him at RB. We'll see what the coaches think.
  • Greg Pappas likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#174 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:30 AM

Four-Star Prospect Has Enough Recruiting Letters To Bathe In

See if you can find the Maryland letter. It took me a minute, but it's there.

• Greg Pappas likes this
@DJ_McCann

#175 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:43 AM

Inside MD Sports: Is the '#DMVtoUMD Movement' for Elite Recruits Really Happening?

http://maryland.247s...pening-34072005

This is more about '16 vs. '15...  but it's absolutely what MD's staff should be pushing.

• Greg Pappas and BSLZackKiesel like this

#176 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,485 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 12:27 PM

Four-Star Prospect Has Enough Recruiting Letters To Bathe In

See if you can find the Maryland letter. It took me a minute, but it's there.

I would say it's a new game called "Where's Testudo?" but they seem to have shunned that logo lately.

#177 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 23 December 2014 - 12:43 PM

I would say it's a new game called "Where's Testudo?" but they seem to have shunned that logo lately.

Yeah, it's the "M" logo. I'll bet that's Anderson's fault, too :P

@DJ_McCann

#178 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,355 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:08 PM

Testudo Times: Talking Quarvez Boulware and Maryland with his coaches

http://www.testudoti...aryland-targets

And in less than two months, there could be another reason for Boulware to be mentioned in the same breath with Gray. Three years after playing together with at Friendship, the duo could be reunited with the Terps. Boulware will wait until National Signing Day to choose a school, but told 247Sports that "Maryland definitely stands out more than the other schools."

There are myriad reasons for that. With the Terrapins, Boulware would have a great opportunity to play soon and play close to home. He’s very close with his family and friends and potentially joining the Terps is an enticing opportunity.

"He lives with his grandparents and they’re very close to him and he wants to be somewhere where they can get around to see him play," Hunter said. "That's obviously not going to be the only factor, but that is definitely something that’s important."

• Greg Pappas likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#179 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,607 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:44 PM

Yeah, it's the "M" logo. I'll bet that's Anderson's fault, too :P

Getting rid of Testudo for the hideous "M" they call a logo now was almost as bad as leaving Cole. 

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#180 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,485 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:52 PM

Getting rid of Testudo for the hideous "M" they call a logo now was almost as bad as leaving Cole. 

+1....on the logo part. I get the move from Cole, and have even warmed up to it's future utilization. Don't like the "M" logo at all. Especially with the move to the Big Ten, where two teams (Michigan and Minnesota) already have "M" logos. Bring back Testudo!

• mweb08 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=