296 replies to this topic

#281 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 07 February 2024 - 08:11 PM

I'm enjoying the character work and imagery on this one.  Not better than season 1, but it's really good. 

#282 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,157 posts

Posted 17 February 2024 - 03:39 PM

The Ringer: Asking the Right Questions Ahead of the ‘True Detective: Night Country’ Finale

#283 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,157 posts

Posted 19 February 2024 - 11:18 AM

The Ringer: The ‘True Detective: Night Country’ Exit Survey

#284 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,202 posts

Posted 19 February 2024 - 06:43 PM

This was my least favorite season. While I enjoyed the chemistry between Jodie Foster and Kali Reiss, I thought the finale was very underwhelming. I thought the scene where Foster and Reiss confronted the cleaning women to get their story was ridiculous. I mean, was the home a clown car as well? (The women kept coming in waves.) Also, did Danvers forget that the truck had heat? Those two froze their asses off unnecessarily after Clark froze to death. I think Foster gets the Emmy to put the icing on her career because of her performance as Danvers. Maybe I am a bit more disappointed because Season three is my favorite. I rank them this way: 3, 1, 2 with four being a distant fourth.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#285 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 19 February 2024 - 07:59 PM

Best season since the 1st for me.  I might even argue this finale was more satisfying than season 1, but the rest of season 1 was so incredible.

• BobPhelan and McNulty like this

#286 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,592 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 19 February 2024 - 09:52 PM

3 is underrated but I thought this season was a bit more consistent. My wife hated it tho, if it wasn’t so short I would’ve been on my own haha.

#287 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 20 February 2024 - 03:04 PM

A little heavy with the supernatural. Then it wasn't even a factor in the end. Kinda glad it wasn't.

I don't think why Annie's tongue was where it was, was explained, unless I missed it. 

Oranges, obvious nod to The Godfather, were unnecessary and not consistent with the symbolism. 

It was a fine season. 3 out of 5 stars. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#288 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 20 February 2024 - 04:11 PM

I don't think why Annie's tongue was where it was, was explained, unless I missed it. 

Yeah, I don't think that was explained.  I guess that catfished cop might have saved it and then left it there to somehow try to extort more money out of the mining company, but I'm not sure that makes a lot of sense.

Also not sure when they were supposed to have recorded that video of Clark talking about the pollution from the mine, since he didn't really look beat up or duct taped.

#289 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,645 posts

Posted 20 February 2024 - 06:46 PM

The problem I had with this season, the up/down quality of the story aside, is that (set aside Foster's acting chops) I just didn't give a hoot about any of the characters. Time is a flat circle? More like this season was a collection of flat characters. 

IMO if they had threaded the episodes with a Hal Holbrook / Deep Throat inspired character talking in the shadows, or sharing business intelligence (stolen or otherwise), you can build tension without having to rely on the boogieman. 

• russsnyder likes this

#290 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,202 posts

Posted 20 February 2024 - 06:54 PM

The problem I had with this season, the up/down quality of the story aside, is that (set aside Foster's acting chops) I just didn't give a hoot about any of the characters. Time is a flat circle? More like this season was a collection of flat characters.

IMO if they had threaded the episodes with a Hal Holbrook / Deep Throat inspired character talking in the shadows, or sharing business intelligence (stolen or otherwise), you can build tension without having to rely on the boogieman.

I think this is an excellent point.

I get that people are flawed, but none of the characters were fleshed out enough to make me really care that much either.

It just wasn't very well written IMHO.

#291 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,202 posts

Posted 20 February 2024 - 06:56 PM

Yeah, I don't think that was explained. I guess that catfished cop might have saved it and then left it there to somehow try to extort more money out of the mining company, but I'm not sure that makes a lot of sense.

Also not sure when they were supposed to have recorded that video of Clark talking about the pollution from the mine, since he didn't really look beat up or duct taped.

Maybe they cleaned up Clark after they ate the Funyuns and Danver took one of her naps. After all, " True Detectives" clean up their perps after they torture confessions out of em.

#292 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 20 February 2024 - 11:35 PM

After listening to a podcast after watching the finale, the series made a ton of ties to season 1 being that it’s the 10th anniversary. “Time is a flat circle” is one of them. McConaghey mentioned living in Alaska for some time. The spirals I think are a call back. I think it’s just poorly execute because had I not listened to that podcast, I wouldn’t have remembered that. It’s not exactly a reachable series like Breaking Bad or The Americans.
@BSLMikeRandall

#293 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 22 February 2024 - 06:15 AM

I think all of the critiques are fair, and still, I was mesmerized by the finale. The first half ice cave chase was beautiful and terrifying. The latter half about whether these two women would resist the call to death I also found moving.
  • BobPhelan likes this
@DaKittenz

#294 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,592 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 22 February 2024 - 06:36 PM

I think all of the critiques are fair, and still, I was mesmerized by the finale. The first half ice cave chase was beautiful and terrifying. The latter half about whether these two women would resist the call to death I also found moving.

Yeah the visuals and vibes were enough to carry me through.
  • Mashed Potatoes likes this

#295 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,157 posts

Posted 22 February 2024 - 06:54 PM

After listening to a podcast after watching the finale, the series made a ton of ties to season 1 being that it’s the 10th anniversary. “Time is a flat circle” is one of them. McConaghey mentioned living in Alaska for some time. The spirals I think are a call back. I think it’s just poorly execute because had I not listened to that podcast, I wouldn’t have remembered that. It’s not exactly a reachable series like Breaking Bad or The Americans.

The ghost in the first episode was McConaghey's character's Dad. 

The station was funded by the Tuttles...  (family from Season 1).

#296 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 22 February 2024 - 07:17 PM

The ghost in the first episode was McConaghey's character's Dad.

The station was funded by the Tuttles... (family from Season 1).

I wouldn’t have known any of that.
  • CantonJester likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#297 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,567 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 07:33 AM

I liked it a lot. I can see the issues with the finale but I didn't mind it. I thought the leads were great and I loved the setting.

I'd go 1, 3, 4, 2 with all seasons outside of 2 being great seasons of TV with season 1 being elite.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=