5 replies to this topic

#1 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,252 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:48 AM

http://espn.go.com/n... ... ources-say

Good. Just announce "Pro Bowl" teams and get rid of the game.

No one cares about it, and more players are concerned with not getting injured in it.

#2 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationZichron Yaakov, Israel

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:02 PM

Honestly, I think they'd almost be better off just playing an all-star flag football game. At least then, no one will expect them to be trying too hard.

Also, they should do it at the site of the Super Bowl in the days leading up to the game.

"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax..."

-Walter Sobchak

#3 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:41 PM

Honestly, I think they'd almost be better off just playing an all-star flag football game. At least then, no one will expect them to be trying too hard.

Also, they should do it at the site of the Super Bowl in the days leading up to the game.

Didn't some player get seriously injured playing the "beach football" game like a decade ago?
@levineps

#4 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:42 PM

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7857508/nfl-moving-suspend-pro-bowl-sources-say

Good. Just announce "Pro Bowl" teams and get rid of the game.

No one cares about it, and more players are concerned with not getting injured in it.

Exactly my thought have a team, don't play a game, give them their bonuses and a trip to Hawaii. Call it a day.
@levineps

#5 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationZichron Yaakov, Israel

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:06 AM

Didn't some player get seriously injured playing the "beach football" game like a decade ago?

Yes, Robert Edwards, a promising RB for the Patriots was hurt in the "Rookie Beach Football" game. Playing football with NFL-size players on sand is preposterous.

Are you going to tell me that you think there's more of a chance of an injury in a flag football game on grass/FieldTurf than there is in an actual Pro Bowl game? That's crazy.

Flag football is an intense game at times, but it can also be a relaxed, fun-filled environment for these guys to showcase their talents for an adoring fan base, while the NFL packages it like the NHL now does their all-star game.

If they throw in a skills competition, the way the NHL does, even better.

"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax..."

-Walter Sobchak

#6 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:52 AM

Yes, Robert Edwards, a promising RB for the Patriots was hurt in the "Rookie Beach Football" game. Playing football with NFL-size players on sand is preposterous.

Are you going to tell me that you think there's more of a chance of an injury in a flag football game on grass/FieldTurf than there is in an actual Pro Bowl game? That's crazy.

Flag football is an intense game at times, but it can also be a relaxed, fun-filled environment for these guys to showcase their talents for an adoring fan base, while the NFL packages it like the NHL now does their all-star game.

If they throw in a skills competition, the way the NHL does, even better.

Agreed, but my point was more that why would you risk an injury in a stupid exhibition game, even more irrelevant than a preseason game? Atleast with preseason games you are building towards something, what is redeeming about the Pro Bowl. So I wouldn't even do flag football. Just do a skills competition if you must, but I'd drop the thing all together. Maybe have a banquet? As I said previously, just give them a bonus for being selected as well as a trip to Hawaii on the NFL's dime.
@levineps

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=