HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:51 PM

WEEI: TIME FOR JENNY DELL, NESN RELATIONSHIP TO END

http://www.weei.com/...elationship-end

Lots of times we don't know right or wrong, but lots of times we do, and this sure is one. Now, it's not wrong that Dell and Middlebrooks have feelings for each other. That's life, the heart wants what it wants, all that. But a reporter cannot be in a romantic relationship with -- much less living with -- a player he or she is covering on a daily basis. That's simply not how it works

It's already tough enough for young, attractive female TV reporters to be taken seriously, isn't it? Fair or not, there is always this idea that there could be something going on with a player. Far more often than not that isn't the case -- these are smart, qualified professionals trying to do the best work possible in a difficult environment -- but it's within boundaries to wonder if this makes it even tougher for these women to be perceived fairly.

It's time for NESN to step up. ("We don't comment on ongoing personnel company matters," a NESN spokesperson told me when asked to comment for this story.) It's been 15 days since the picture was tweeted out and there has been nothing from NESN, not one word. This couldn't have come as a surprise; there have been whispers about this relationship for months (and multiple industry sources have confirmed that NESN was aware of the possibility of this relationship existing last season). And it's not as if this is a situation that is entirely new to the folks over at NESN, as there is some history with this position and conflicts involving players. A plan of action should have already been in place.

I don't like the whole idea of sports journalists dating athletes in the first place. It plays into the sterotype that they are using their position for that purpose. But I don't have as big of a problem with it, if it's not a team or sport they cover. For example, Sam Ponder doesn't cover the NFL or Vikings, so no reason why she shouldn't be allowed to continue. ESPN just shouldn't use her to cover the NFL and certainly not the Vikings.

@levineps

#2 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:24 PM

http://therotation.s...l-middlebrooks/

@DJ_McCann

#3 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,435 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:29 PM

WEEI: TIME FOR JENNY DELL, NESN RELATIONSHIP TO END

http://www.weei.com/...elationship-end

I don't like the whole idea of sports journalists dating athletes in the first place. It plays into the sterotype that they are using their position for that purpose. But I don't have as big of a problem with it, if it's not a team or sport they cover. For example, Sam Ponder doesn't cover the NFL or Vikings, so no reason why she shouldn't be allowed to continue. ESPN just shouldn't use her to cover the NFL and certainly not the Vikings.

I agree. As long as you don't cover the team/athlete you're dating, no big deal. In the case of Dell/Middlebrooks, then I think it's an issue.

#4 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:35 PM

Heidi Watney had a similar situation when she was working at NESN with the Nick Green/Jason Varitek triangle.

I say who cares, as long as they maintain professionalism, it shouldn't bother anyone.

Charissa Thompson/Jay Williams are way cooler than these two anyway.

@beginthebegin71

#5 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:40 PM

I agree. As long as you don't cover the team/athlete you're dating, no big deal. In the case of Dell/Middlebrooks, then I think it's an issue.

Like anything else, it's a case-by-case basis. I think with a national outlet like ESPN it has to extend to the sport as a whole -- you just can't have Sam Ponder covering the NFL.

But yeah dating an athlete you directly cover is a cardinal sin of the business. I think sports journalists need to keep somewhat of a distance from their subjects to begin with. There's a fine line in this regard.

@levineps

#6 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:45 PM

Heidi Watney had a similar situation when she was working at NESN with the Nick Green/Jason Varitek triangle.

I say who cares, as long as they maintain professionalism, it shouldn't bother anyone.

Charissa Thompson/Jay Williams are way cooler than these two anyway.

It's a clear conflict of interest. Like the article mentioned if Middlebrooks is traded or fails a drug test, she has edge that no other reporter could possibly have. Also, it's almost impossible for her to be just as tough with him after a bad game as she would be to the typical Red Sox player.

Dating athletes send the wrong message in the first place, but as long as it doesn't play a part in their job, I don't think it should be forbidden.

NESN shouldn't wait for her to make a decision, they should issue a statement, "We thank Jenny Dell for her dedication to our Red Sox coverage the past few years. However, she will not returning to her role as the sideline reporter at this time."

@levineps

#7 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:53 PM

I think there's a distinction to be made here in terms of job description. Her title might be "reporter", but there is a difference between what she does and what a beat reporter for a media outlet does. A sideline reporter tends to interact with the players and break news in very specific situations, as opposed to being part of a constant, off-field beat.

There's little risk for either person involved to be compromised, simply because the job she does, while providing some information of interest to viewers, isn't important enough to worry about.

@DJ_McCann

#8 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:56 PM

It's a clear conflict of interest. Like the article mentioned if Middlebrooks is traded or fails a drug test, she has edge that no other reporter could possibly have. Also, it's almost impossible for her to be just as tough with him after a bad game as she would be to the typical Red Sox player.

Dating athletes send the wrong message in the first place, but as long as it doesn't play a part in their job, I don't think it should be forbidden.

NESN shouldn't wait for her to make a decision, they should issue a statement, "We thank Jenny Dell for her dedication to our Red Sox coverage the past few years. However, she will not returning to her role as the sideline reporter at this time."

I completely disagree. She's not breaking any stories, she's doing fluff stuff. Like DJ said, nothing important.

If she was the owner or GM and her decisions affected the team, then sure. But not as the sideline reporter.

@beginthebegin71

#9 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:57 PM

1) Even if she did have some kind of advantage, so what? Reporters get advantages in myriad ways; worrying about that slight advantage in that particular circumstance and not, say, reporters befriending players isn't worth it.

2) When exactly do you think she is being "hard" on ANY Red Sox player? That's not her job.

• SBTarheel likes this
@DJ_McCann

#10 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:58 PM

I completely disagree. She's not breaking any stories, she's doing fluff stuff. Like DJ said, nothing important.

If she was the owner or GM and her decisions affected the team, then sure. But not as the sideline reporter.

Or if she was a beat reporter with NESN or the Globe or another outlet. Someone providing actual day-to-day coverage of a team might make it an issue.

@DJ_McCann

#11 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:02 PM

Or if she was a beat reporter with NESN or the Globe or another outlet. Someone providing actual day-to-day coverage of a team might make it an issue.

Exactly, anything other than the fluff stuff she does now...

Let 'em be, as long as they're not making out on camera between innings, who cares.

@beginthebegin71

#12 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:02 PM

She can be breaking news. I don't think this is as bad as a political journalist dating one of the subjects they cover but it's clearly a conflict of interest even if it's only "fluff stuff."

@levineps

#13 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:06 PM

She can be breaking news. I don't think this is as bad as a political journalist dating one of the subjects they cover but it's clearly a conflict of interest even if it's only "fluff stuff."

Agree to disagree on this one, I just don't see it as a big deal at all.

@beginthebegin71

#14 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:07 PM

"The training staff says that Dustin Pedroia did not receive a concussion when he was beaned by Hiroki Kuroda in the third inning, but he has been taken out of the game for precautionary reasons," doesn't count as breaking news.

@DJ_McCann

#15 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:10 PM

"The training staff says that Dustin Pedroia did not receive a concussion when he was beaned by Hiroki Kuroda in the third inning, but he has been taken out of the game for precautionary reasons," doesn't count as breaking news.

Now if she concluded that "report" with "And by the way, Will Middlebrooks is great in bed", then maybe the network should make a move.

Though I guess that could be breaking news.

• Oriole85 likes this
@beginthebegin71

#16 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:16 PM

I said she CAN BE breaking news, I didn't she did break news.

@levineps

#17 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:28 PM

Now if she concluded that "report" with "And by the way, Will Middlebrooks is great in bed", then maybe the network should make a move.

Though I guess that could be breaking news.

That's funny, I'll give you that.

I'm sure they will make a move eventually, if she doesn't move on. I don't think she'll be the Red Sox SLR once the season begins unless Middlebrooks is traded (unlikely). She's rumored to have other job offers right now. I'm sure NESN wants to make this as little of an issue as possible so that's why they aren't being proactive here and hoping the situation sorts itself out on it's own.

@levineps

#18 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:44 PM

Happy?

NESN’s Jenny Dell off Red Sox broadcasts amid relationship with player

Still, one wonders if it was really a necessary step for NESN. Dell’s role is certainly much more one of public relations than reporting.

@DJ_McCann

#19 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:03 PM

Jenny Dell leaving NESN (WEEI)

Red Sox chairman Tom Werner, who oversees all of NESN’s on-air operations, acknowledged Thursday morning that Dell has decided to pursue other opportunities outside of the sports cable franchise after she and Red Sox third baseman Will Middlebrooks acknowledged on New Year’s Eve that they were in a relationship.

@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=