HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:18 AM

Washington Post: Terps DC Brian Stewart agrees to multi-year contract extension

http://www.washingto...ract-extension/

With offensive coordinator Mike Locksley under contract until Dec. 31, 2015, according to a copy of the contract obtained via an open records request, the Terps still are yet to announce anything concrete concerning the futures of five position assistants. Defensive line coach Greg Gattuso left after accepting the head coaching position at Albany and offensive line coach Tom Brattan did not have his contract renewed. Wide receivers coach Lee Hull is currently a finalist for the Morgan State head coaching job, an announcement for which is expected later this week. Inside linebackers coach Keith Dudzinski, outside linebackers coach Lyndon Johnson, running backs and special teams coach Andre Powell, and tight ends coach John Dunn have all been welcomed back.

• BSLChrisStoner and Greg Pappas like this
@levineps

#2 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,364 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:29 AM

Very good news. Brian Stewart is one of the more underrated assistant coaches in college football. What he's done with this defense over the past two years has been remarkable. He's also a recruiting asset, as kids love playing for a guy who has NFL coaching experience (as a defensive coordinator no less). Seems like he's happy in College Park.

• Greg Pappas likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#3 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:30 AM

I think he may be our next HC.

#4 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:34 AM

I think he may be our next HC.

I don't, unless Edsall leaves elsewhere. He might be the interim coach if they fire Edsall next year (or another one), but generally speaking, dismissed coaches result in regime changes. If it was solely a financial decision I could see it and it might come to that.

@levineps

#5 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,364 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:41 AM

I don't, unless Edsall leaves elsewhere. He might be the interim coach if they fire Edsall next year (or another one), but generally speaking, dismissed coaches result in regime changes. If it was solely a financial decision I could see it and it might come to that.

Agreed. He won't be a head coach here, but I can completely see him getting a decent HC gig sooner rather than later.

@BSLZackKiesel

#6 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:38 AM

Agreed. He won't be a head coach here, but I can completely see him getting a decent HC gig sooner rather than later.

What do you think happens with Edsall if they go between 5-7 or 7-5 next year since he'll have only two years left on his contract? I think he gets fired (if it's financially feasible) if he goes below this and gets an extension if he goes above this. But I think it could go either way in the middle. Of course, there's factors like recruiting, donations, ticket sales, suite sales, but at the end of the day, the record is the most paramount.

@levineps

#7 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,364 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:09 PM

What do you think happens with Edsall if they go between 5-7 or 7-5 next year since he'll have only two years left on his contract? I think he gets fired (if it's financially feasible) if he goes below this and gets an extension if he goes above this. But I think it could go either way in the middle. Of course, there's factors like recruiting, donations, ticket sales, suite sales, but at the end of the day, the record is the most paramount.

Tough to say. I think it would depend on the situation. Now that Stewart has been extended, they'd likely have to buy out the rest of Edsall's and Stewart's contracts. Locksley's contract expires after this coming season. I think he's safe as long as they reach a bowl game and show competitiveness against some of the tougher teams (no losing 63-0 to Ohio State). If that happens, they'll extend both Edsall and Locksley.

I don't see this team taking much of a step backwards. The talent on this team will be amazing on the offensive side of the ball (C.J. Brown, Brandon Ross, Wes Brown, Stefon Diggs, Deon Long, Marcus Leak, Larry Mazyck, Derwin Gray, etc.) I don't necessarily expect a big step forwards in record (with the new conference and all), but I think 7-8 wins should be expected. Loh and Anderson really like Edsall, as do his players. He fits well in College Park, and there's no reason for me to think he's on any kind of hot seat going into next season.

@BSLZackKiesel

#8 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:05 PM

Tough to say. I think it would depend on the situation. Now that Stewart has been extended, they'd likely have to buy out the rest of Edsall's and Stewart's contracts. Locksley's contract expires after this coming season. I think he's safe as long as they reach a bowl game and show competitiveness against some of the tougher teams (no losing 63-0 to Ohio State). If that happens, they'll extend both Edsall and Locksley.

I don't see this team taking much of a step backwards. The talent on this team will be amazing on the offensive side of the ball (C.J. Brown, Brandon Ross, Wes Brown, Stefon Diggs, Deon Long, Marcus Leak, Larry Mazyck, Derwin Gray, etc.) I don't necessarily expect a big step forwards in record (with the new conference and all), but I think 7-8 wins should be expected. Loh and Anderson really like Edsall, as do his players. He fits well in College Park, and there's no reason for me to think he's on any kind of hot seat going into next season.

When your a major cfb or cbb coach, you're almost always on the hot seat to some extent. But I largely agree, he's not on it to start the year. In the event, they go 1-3 to start the year, I do think there will be pressure at that point.

@levineps

#9 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:33 PM

When your a major cfb or cbb coach, you're almost always on the hot seat to some extent. But I largely agree, he's not on it to start the year. In the event, they go 1-3 to start the year, I do think there will be pressure at that point.

Start 1-3, and that could very well be the end for Edsall. Not saying he'd be fired mid-season, I seriously doubt that would happen. But looking at the remaining opponents it's hard to see them getting to a bowl if they begin 1-3.

I don't think it's unrealistic that they could go 5-0 to begin the season. That would give them some cushion to make a bowl (which I think Edsall has to do to avoid being fired, let alone think of an extension) with a more backloaded schedule.

8-30-14  JAMES MADISON
9-6-14  at South Florida
9-13-14  WEST VIRGINIA
9-20-14  at Syracuse
9-27-14  at Indiana
10-4-14  OHIO STATE
10-18-14  IOWA
10-25-14  at Wisconsin
11-1-14  at Penn State
11-15-14  MICHIGAN STATE
11-22-14  at Michigan
11-29-14  RUTGERS

#10 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,520 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:46 PM

Start 1-3, and that could very well be the end for Edsall. Not saying he'd be fired mid-season, I seriously doubt that would happen. But looking at the remaining opponents it's hard to see them getting to a bowl if they begin 1-3.

I don't think it's unrealistic that they could go 5-0 to begin the season. That would give them some cushion to make a bowl (which I think Edsall has to do to avoid being fired, let alone think of an extension) with a more backloaded schedule.

8-30-14  JAMES MADISON
9-6-14  at South Florida
9-13-14  WEST VIRGINIA
9-20-14  at Syracuse
9-27-14  at Indiana
10-4-14  OHIO STATE
10-18-14  IOWA
10-25-14  at Wisconsin
11-1-14  at Penn State
11-15-14  MICHIGAN STATE
11-22-14  at Michigan
11-29-14  RUTGERS

5-0 to begin the year with Ohio State coming to town for the first ever home Big Ten game would be wild.

#11 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:49 PM

8-30-14  JAMES MADISON
9-6-14  at South Florida
9-13-14  WEST VIRGINIA
9-20-14  at Syracuse
9-27-14  at Indiana
10-4-14  OHIO STATE
10-18-14  IOWA
10-25-14  at Wisconsin
11-1-14  at Penn State
11-15-14  MICHIGAN STATE
11-22-14  at Michigan
11-29-14  RUTGERS

I think you're right, as that is a pretty soft start to the schedule.

If the Terps go 1-3 against those four, he shouldn't be fired; he should be dumped off the Bay Bridge.

@DJ_McCann

#12 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:51 PM

5-0 to begin the year with Ohio State coming to town for the first ever home Big Ten game would be wild.

I think that's probably the one game on the schedule that sells out Byrd no matter what. Obviously there is going to be a strong OSU fan presence, but I think that game will generate plenty of interest among UM fans too. OSU could very likely be 5-0 and ranked in the Top 10 coming in. Add in that it's the first ever Big Ten home game with one of college football's brand names. If the Terps are also 5-0, it could be the most hyped game at Byrd in a long time.

#13 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:57 PM

I think that's probably the one game on the schedule that sells out Byrd no matter what. Obviously there is going to be a strong OSU fan presence, but I think that game will generate plenty of interest among UM fans too. OSU could very likely be 5-0 and ranked in the Top 10 coming in. Add in that it's the first ever Big Ten home game with one of college football's brand names. If the Terps are also 5-0, it could be the most hyped game at Byrd in a long time.

I'd say there's a pretty good chance WVU sells out. It drew 55k last year in Baltimore and sold out in 2011 (with prime pricing),

@levineps

#14 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,520 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:58 PM

I think you're right, as that is a pretty soft start to the schedule.

If the Terps go 1-3 against those four, he shouldn't be fired; he should be dumped off the Bay Bridge.

If he goes 1-3 against those 4, he won't be back for the following year... but it wouldn't be that shocking either. Surprising, not shocking.

MD shouldn't be losing to James Madison... never should lose to FCS, but James Madison is not the FCS power they were...so agreed there.

South Florida... they usually have some good athletes as all the Florida teams do. They had a nice 6-7 year run there.. last 2 years have been poor. Don't know what they look like for next year, but figure to be back on the upswing at some point... don't have to play on their campus, but usually a decent crowd at Raymond James. Game MD should win, but USF with much more than a punchers chance I think.

Last 2 years tough for West VA... and MD got the win at M&T this year... but I still respect the WVU program. No easy game there.

Terps will probably be an underdog at 'Cuse. Game MD can certainly win, but the Orange seem to be regaining some footing after a bunch of down years.

In my eyes that is 1 'easy' game, and 3 comparable programs...

#15 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:58 PM

I think they almost have to start 5-0 to have a solid season when you look at the rest of that schedule.  Not a whole lot of probable wins after that:

Ohio State - no

Iowa - possibly

at Wisconsin - no

at Penn State - not likely

Michigan State - no

at Michigan - no

Rutgers - possibly

So you're looking at likely having to beat both Iowa and Rutgers to get to 7 wins, even if you start 5-0.

I'm not saying for certain that all of those games are losses, just that MD would not be expected to have much chance of winning them at this juncture.  Of course a lot can change between now and the fall.

#16 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:05 PM

If he goes 1-3 against those 4, he won't be back for the following year... but it wouldn't be that shocking either. Surprising, not shocking.

MD shouldn't be losing to James Madison... never should lose to FCS, but James Madison is not the FCS power they were...so agreed there.

South Florida... they usually have some good athletes as all the Florida teams do. They had a nice 6-7 year run there.. last 2 years have been poor. Don't know what they look like for next year, but figure to be back on the upswing at some point... don't have to play on their campus, but usually a decent crowd at Raymond James. Game MD should win, but USF with much more than a punchers chance I think.

Last 2 years tough for West VA... and MD got the win at M&T this year... but I still respect the WVU program. No easy game there.

Terps will probably be an underdog at 'Cuse. Game MD can certainly win, but the Orange seem to be regaining some footing after a bunch of down years.

In my eyes that is 1 'easy' game, and 3 comparable programs...

Early guess for the pre-OSU games is they go 4-1, losing to Cuse.

If they go 5-0, possible GameDay comes to Maryland. They went to Mizzou/A&M first SEC games IIRC. That's a long ways away and I have no idea what other games they up against that day. A lot depends on what time ESPN puts that game at. If somehow they make it the 8 PM ABC game, chances exponentially increase.

@levineps

#17 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:09 PM

I think they almost have to start 5-0 to have a solid season when you look at the rest of that schedule.  Not a whole lot of probable wins after that:

Ohio State - no

Iowa - possibly

at Wisconsin - no

at Penn State - not likely

Michigan State - no

at Michigan - no

Rutgers - possibly

So you're looking at likely having to beat both Iowa and Rutgers to get to 7 wins, even if you start 5-0.

I'm not saying for certain that all of those games are losses, just that MD would not be expected to have much chance of winning them at this juncture.  Of course a lot can change between now and the fall.

Have to figure if they start 5-0, they'll be expected to atleast go 3-5. I do agree a 7-5 record like this year would be very possible, Also one little thing about injuries, they happen, have to adjust. They can't be an excuse every year.

Penn State is the WC to me. I agree they likely aren't winning those four games, particularly Wisconsin/Michigan in the first time in their stadiums (or in many years). Ohio State/Michigan State are almost definitely too much for them, but they are at home.

@levineps

#18 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,364 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:42 PM

I went to 2 games this season. People wouldn't stop talking about OSU vs. UMD at Byrd next season. I've even talked to people who aren't fans of either team who want to go down. It'll be a big one, and I can't wait to be in attendance as a student.

@BSLZackKiesel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=