Photo

BSL: Santa brings Terps coal; What did we see?

• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,463 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:43 PM

BSL: Santa brings Terps coal; What did we see?
http://baltimorespor...terps-coal-see/

The University of Maryland Terrapins fell to 7-5 on the season, dropping a home game vs. Boston University 83-77.

What did we see?

1) Selection Sunday is Months away, but Coach Turgeon and Terrapins can already start thinking about next year; because it seems highly unlikely that the Terps will be dancing come March. Coming into today, we believed MD would need 10 wins in Atlantic Coast Conference play (prior to the ACCT) to be in good position to be selected for an at-large birth. After this loss today, MD would probably need to either win 12 ACC Regular Season games, or have 10 ACC Regular Season wins, plus a deep run in the ACCT.

Maybe Allen will return, and everything will come together for the Terps; but that can not be the expectation at this point.

Boston University is a decent team, that has the potential to win the Patriot League and get to the NCAAT themselves; but MD losing to them is an embarrassment regardless. This was a BU team which had lost 3 in-a-row, including losses to Harvard and Norfolk State.

To beat a dead horse, MD’s Out-of-conference resume is very poor. Losing to UConn, and at Ohio State were expected. Losses to Oregon State and George Washington don’t qualify as embarrassing (even if OSU finishes at the bottom of the Pac 12, they still hail from a major conference), but those were games you went into the year expecting to win. Boston University and Tulsa were supposed to be resume builders. Teams where you comfortably win by 10-12 points, and hope they are good enough in their conferences to eventually be Top 100 RPI wins. Losing to a team of that caliber just kills you.

Prior to Allen’s injury there was a lot of excitement about what MD could be capable of this year. A lot of returning players in Year 3 of the Turgeon era. A predicted Top 7 finish in ACC play, the conference predicted by most to be the best in the Country entering the year. The thought was that MD was in good position to return to the NCAAT for the first time since 2010. The MD fans which allowed theirselves to look even further ahead, saw the very strong in-coming recruiting class (Class of ’14), and were thinking aspirations for the program could be high next year in MD’s first year as a member of the Big Ten.

Now? The only thing the Maryland players and Coach Turgeon can concern themselves with is beating Tulsa, and figuring out to salvage something from this season. Pretty discouraging for the program to be in this position before Christmas has even arrived.

2) Maryland got off to a poor start, with just 5 points in the first 7 and a 1/2 minutes of play. The entire first half was a struggle against the BU zone. After rallying to take the lead at 18-17 – MD allowed a 9-0 BU run. At the half, MD was down 10 points (42-32). BU made 47% of their FG attempts in the 1st half, including 7 of their 15 attempts from 3.
2a) As the 2nd half started, you saw MD playing with a higher level of intensity. Part of that was being down at the half, and probably being blistered by Coach Turgeon pretty strongly in the locker-room. What is disappointing, is that the effort could be turned on like a switch like that. You let an opponent play basically uncontested for a 1/2, and surprise – you pay for it.
2b) BU shot 42% for the game, 10 of 26 (38%) from 3, and had 36 attempts from the FT line. 2c) MD shot 48% from the floor, including 6 of 15 from 3.

3) In addition to struggling against the zone, Maryland had 11 turnovers in the 1st half. Maryland finished with 17 turnovers, with Wells and Peters combining for 11.

4) Attempting to build off of his quality outing vs. FAU, Cleare started the game with MD’s first four points. Other than 3 rebounds, that would be the extent of Cleare’s day.

5) In the opening seconds of the game today, Smotrycz turned it over. Wells did a good job racing back to make a play on the defensive end. Wells would hit a 3, ending a 4 and a 1/2 minute scoreless streak for the Terps. Offensively, Wells had just 2 FG attempts in the 1st half. Fouled while scoring, Wells made it a 5 point game with 18 minutes left. Wells finished an oop from Faust to tie the game at 51. A long jumper from Wells gave MD the lead 56-55. Great block from Wells with MD down 68-61. For the game, Wells had 18 points, 9 boards, and an impressive 5 blocks. Wells did a good job of getting to the line today (9 attempts), but the 6 turnovers were crippling.

6) In the 1st half, MD was 5 of 8 from the foul line. 6 of those 8 attempts were from Wells. Just not a good enough job of getting to the line. For the game, MD was just 15 of 26 from the charity stripe.

7) Layman ended a 9-0 BU run, with a 3 to pull MD within 5 (26-21). In the 1st half, Layman had 11 points (including 3 of 4 from 3), but had nothing else on his stat line. With MD trailing 54-51 (with just under 11 minutes left), Layman got to the line. Layman would hit 1 of those 2 attempts for his first point of the 2nd half. Layman missed another FT with 5:30 left. With 3:20 left, Layman again went 1 for 2 at the line. Layman finished with 14 points, and 2 boards. His 3 FT makes, were his only points of the 2nd half.

8) In the 1st half, MD had zero second chance points. Pretty much unexplainable (aside from a lack of effort) when you account for MD’s advantages in talent, and athleticism.

9) At half-time, the Terps had a slight (18-15) advantage on the boards. For the game, MD won on the boards 42-34.

10) Graham had 2 blocks off the bench in the 1st half. Good job finishing 2 nice passes from Peters. Graham finished with 5 points, and those 2 blocks.

11) Maryland’s defensive intensity did seem to increase when Faust entered the game off the bench. Faust had a nice layup to pull MD within 4 (49-45). Faust finished with 10 points, 6 boards, 2 assists, and 2 steals. Good all-around game off the bench, but he was just 3 of 9 from the floor.

12) The 1st half saw Smotrycz’s recent shooting struggles (1 for 7 from the floor) continue – but he did contribute with 7 boards, and 4 assists. Smotrycz had 2 baskets inside in the first 3 minutes of the 2nd half. Beginning to feel it, he hit a baseline jumper to pull MD within 6 (49-43). Following his own miss, Layman went baseline to score and give MD the 58-57 lead. Smotrycz was stripped, and committed a foul with MD down 4 and 6 minutes left. Smotrycz finished with 15 points, 13 boards, 5 assists, and a steal. He was 7 of 14 from the floor overall. Credit to him for continuing to shoot.

13) Peters best play of the 1st half, was as time was expiring; as he raced down the court to score. That just looked more instinctual, and took advantages of his abilities. Would like to see more of that. Nice feed from Peters to Graham, pulling MD within 2 (49-47), and then again to make it 51-49. Great steal and finish from Peters while being fouled with just under 5:30 left. Peters missed his FT though. Peters finished with 8 points, and 7 assists, and the aforementioned 5 turnovers.

14) Blaming the 1st half deficit on the lack of atmosphere and crowd at Comcast would be disingenuous; Maryland trailed because they played poorly. The players did not control what they could control (their effort). Still, playing in-front of thousands of empty seats helps eliminate the intimidation factor a team like BU should face playing a program like MD.

15) Mitchell had his lone basket in the initial 2 minutes of the 2nd half. He’s turning into a ghost. What is going on here behind the scenes? Issue at practice? Something else?

16) After being glued to the bench the last couple of games, Dodd got some time in the 2nd half today. With MD down 6, Dodd missed 2 FT’s with 15 minutes left.

17) Against the smaller BU guards, I was surprised that Ram did not get a chance to harass them more often on the perimeter today.

18) The game was tied at 54 with 9:34 left in the 2nd half. With 3:16 left, BU was up 70-61.

#2 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,543 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:53 PM

I said this in the game thread, but forget about the individual talent and look at the whole....I don't believe this team is any better than the one from Turgeon's first season. Their sloppiness, lack of focus and IQ, and inability to play well for long enough periods (let alone an entire game) to beat mediocre teams is the identity of this team and this program. Tournament bubble team? This group will be lucky to be on the NIT bubble.

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,463 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 04:00 PM

I said this in the game thread, but forget about the individual talent and look at the whole....I don't believe this team is any better than the one from Turgeon's first season. Their sloppiness, lack of focus and IQ, and inability to play well for long enough periods (let alone an entire game) to beat mediocre teams is the identity this team and this program. Tournament bubble team? This group will be lucky to be on the NIT bubble.

I think steady PG play would make everyone look smarter. 

I'm irritated by the total lack of effort in the 1st half.  I'm irritated that MD's season is effectively over before Xmas.

I'm irritated that the players who've been in Coach Turgeon's system, are not running his system any better..... I'm irritated that Coach Turgeon hasn't figured out to get the most out of the players he has.

• Greg Pappas likes this

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 04:33 PM

This is the worst Terps team I've ever watched.  There is zero hope of the NCAA tournament and I think a .500 season is in serious doubt.

They've got average talent at best, aren't well-constructed (the few talented guys they do have all play the same position), don't play hard, and don't play smart.  Plenty of blame to go around between both the players and coaching staff.

• Greg Pappas likes this

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,463 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 04:48 PM

This is the worst Terps team I've ever watched.  There is zero hope of the NCAA tournament and I think a .500 season is in serious doubt.

They've got average talent at best, aren't well-constructed (the few talented guys they do have all play the same position), don't play hard, and don't play smart.  Plenty of blame to go around between both the players and coaching staff.

They have more talent than worse MD teams which played better.  Part of that is the issues at PG though.

After beating Boston College, I thought 10-8 in ACC was plausible if unlikely... but you lose this game, and 7 or 8 wins seems much more likely.

So it's pretty much already about turning to next year.  Maybe playing with no expectations the rest of the way will help them.

As far as them not playing hard... what's frustrating is that they don't play hard consistently. It comes in spurts... usually when trailing, and they abandon their structured offense and defense..... 

The players should play hard regardless, but I think Turgeon waits too long most games to just allow the players to do what they actually do best.

As far as them not being smart.... again, to me a lot of that goes back to the PG issues... everyone looks smarter when a PG puts the rest of the lineup in positions to succeed.

I sure hope that next year with Allen, Peters, and Trimble that PG is no longer an issue...   I also hope that with Trimble, Wiley, and Allen... that they have the guard play (to combine with Layman and Smotrycz) to handle going up against zone defenses.

The only time MD ever looks good, is when they play athletic teams that want to get-up and down the court... allowing MD some easy baskets in transition.  An opposing team plays zone against MD, and the Terps have no chance.

#6 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:20 PM

Didn't see the game, luckily, but to lose at home to Boston U is pathetic. Get me that little metal clicker, flame lighter dealie from chemistry class bc I'm pretty close to lighting up the bunsen burner under coach Turg's seat.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,463 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:26 PM

Didn't see the game, luckily, but to lose at home to Boston U is pathetic. Get me that little metal clicker, flame lighter dealie from chemistry class bc I'm pretty close to lighting up the bunsen burner under coach Turg's seat.

Do think things might become a bit uncomfortable for him.... but it can only get so warm, due to:

1) He's got so many years left on his deal...

2) The financial issues of the Athletic Department...

3) He can point to the incoming recruiting class...

#8 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,543 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:32 PM

It's so frustrating that the Athletic Department's financial woes mean that they have to paint themselves into a corner on coaching hires. They pretty much have no choice but to stick with what they have, no matter how bad it gets. It means you have to hit the nail on the head with every hire you make....not the sort of situation you want a guy like Kevin Anderson in charge of.

• Greg Pappas likes this

#9 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,401 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:01 PM

Time to stop talking about their tourney chances.

#10 BSLMattJergensen

BSLMattJergensen

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:47 PM

I was unable to see the game so I can only go on what others have commented.

No question this is an inexcusable loss on your home floor. There's just no way around it. BU had lost three in a row coming into this game.

My biggest concern is effort. Forget offenses and defenses. Forget NCAA. Forget NIT. Forget ACC. The first thing you must get any team to do is play hard for you all the time. This team doesn't do that on a consistent basis. Turge will need to go back to square one in practice. All five spots are open - who wants to play?

#11 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,363 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:52 PM

Time to stop talking about their tourney chances.

Yeah, this may have been the loss that put the nail in the coffin of their season. Obviously they have a long way to go, but not much less than an ACC Tournament trophy would be enough to overcome their horrible non-conference performance. This team has certainly regressed from last season, and supposedly they have more talent on the court this season. 

The complete absence of in-game adjustments under Turgeon is mind-boggling to me. Boston University locked down the Terps' offense with their zone defense, and Turgeon had no answer for it. They ran the same plays, got the ball to the same players in the same spots in the second half and fell flat on their faces. That, combined with the fact that Turgeon should know by now that teams go to a zone defense against him all the time is pretty pathetic. He can't figure out a way, with his 26 years of coaching experience, to break a zone defense?

Not only that, but he had a full week to prepare his team to face Boston University. I understood the close game against Florida Atlantic last week. He basically had 1-2 days to prepare them for that game. But he had a week to prepare his team for a game against a team that Maryland should be beating by 15-20 points, and they come out totally flat and dead? That's horrific.

I understand that Mark Turgeon isn't 100% of the problem. I don't even know if he's 50% of the problem. But his inability to make in-game adjustments and prepare his team for games against very subpar opponents is worrisome.

The effort on the court is something that Turgeon can't control for the most part. The Terps were out-hustled and out-physicaled (don't ask where I pulled that phrase out of) by a much smaller, much less talented team. That comes down to effort, and that's on the players for the most part. They have no effort in rebounding, on defense, or in taking the time to play as a team.

When this team is at its best, it's when they're driving into the lane and dishing to open shooters. Those shooters are either on the perimeter or in the paint. But it seems that Roddy Peters is the only player who is willing to do that on a consistent basis. I thought the color analyst on ESPN3 made a good point when he said that, when Maryland does pass, the passes are off the mark and require reaching to catch. The good teams are able to pass crisply and efficiently and keep the defense on their toes. The Terps can't do that.

• Markus likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#12 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:17 PM

Yeah, this may have been the loss that put the nail in the coffin of their season. Obviously they have a long way to go, but not much less than an ACC Tournament trophy would be enough to overcome their horrible non-conference performance. This team has certainly regressed from last season, and supposedly they have more talent on the court this season. 

The complete absence of in-game adjustments under Turgeon is mind-boggling to me. Boston University locked down the Terps' offense with their zone defense, and Turgeon had no answer for it. They ran the same plays, got the ball to the same players in the same spots in the second half and fell flat on their faces. That, combined with the fact that Turgeon should know by now that teams go to a zone defense against him all the time is pretty pathetic. He can't figure out a way, with his 26 years of coaching experience, to break a zone defense?

Not only that, but he had a full week to prepare his team to face Boston University. I understood the close game against Florida Atlantic last week. He basically had 1-2 days to prepare them for that game. But he had a week to prepare his team for a game against a team that Maryland should be beating by 15-20 points, and they come out totally flat and dead? That's horrific.

I understand that Mark Turgeon isn't 100% of the problem. I don't even know if he's 50% of the problem. But his inability to make in-game adjustments and prepare his team for games against very subpar opponents is worrisome.

The effort on the court is something that Turgeon can't control for the most part. The Terps were out-hustled and out-physicaled (don't ask where I pulled that phrase out of) by a much smaller, much less talented team. That comes down to effort, and that's on the players for the most part. They have no effort in rebounding, on defense, or in taking the time to play as a team.

When this team is at its best, it's when they're driving into the lane and dishing to open shooters. Those shooters are either on the perimeter or in the paint. But it seems that Roddy Peters is the only player who is willing to do that on a consistent basis. I thought the color analyst on ESPN3 made a good point when he said that, when Maryland does pass, the passes are off the mark and require reaching to catch. The good teams are able to pass crisply and efficiently and keep the defense on their toes. The Terps can't do that.

I don't think this will be the "final nail in the coffin," we might look back and say this is when the season took a turn for the worst. I think non-conference play is weighted differently since it's earlier in the year. It's a lot more important how you finish than you began. Yes, they still have two bad losses at the end of the day. But they can overcome hypothetically, even if it's unlikely.

The way I look at it is you are allowed one bad loss in non-conference play (maybe not if you are literally on the bubble). You have an off-day, the other team rises to the challenge, it happens. But losing to both Oregon State/BU was inexcusable.

@levineps

#13 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:17 PM

^ I think lack of ability to make in-game adjustments has been a complaint many have made of Turg since year 1 here. Unfortunately it doesn't look like it's something he's yet to improve on

#14 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:20 PM

^ I think lack of ability to make in-game adjustments has been a complaint many have made of Turg since year 1 here. Unfortunately it doesn't look like it's something he's yet to improve on

Speaking of improving, I think that's the most disappointing thing. You expect to see linear progression from year to year, which we had from two years ago to last year, but they seem to have taken a step back, maybe even worse than year 1. I still don't think this year is a make or break one. Even if he has an awful year, will they be able to get out of his contract? Not sure if it's structured like Edsall's and it's all guaranteed and for how much longer (I assume a 5 or 6 year).

• BSLZackKiesel likes this
@levineps

#15 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,363 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:47 AM

Speaking of improving, I think that's the most disappointing thing. You expect to see linear progression from year to year, which we had from two years ago to last year, but they seem to have taken a step back, maybe even worse than year 1. I still don't think this year is a make or break one. Even if he has an awful year, will they be able to get out of his contract? Not sure if it's structured like Edsall's and it's all guaranteed and for how much longer (I assume a 5 or 6 year).

Turgeon is paid $1,900,000/year in guaranteed money. He gets a 5% increase in guaranteed money in years 2-8 of his contract. So his deal is an 8-year one. He'll be here for awhile. This is year 3, so he has 5 years after this on his contract.

Link: http://www.washingto...vOLGI_blog.html

@BSLZackKiesel

#16 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:57 AM

Turgeon is paid $1,900,000/year in guaranteed money. He gets a 5% increase in guaranteed money in years 2-8 of his contract. So his deal is an 8-year one. He'll be here for awhile. This is year 3, so he has 5 years after this on his contract.

Link: http://www.washingto...vOLGI_blog.html

Yeah unless Kevin Plank or someone else wants to write a big fat check to the AD to buy him out, I'm guessing he'll be here for at least another two years after this, maybe more.

@levineps

#17 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:47 AM

Yeah unless Kevin Plank or someone else wants to write a big fat check to the AD to buy him out, I'm guessing he'll be here for at least another two years after this, maybe more.

Hey I just shelled out a cool Benjamin on some UA running shoes.  Plank can put that to the "buy out the coaches" fund.

#18 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:55 AM

Hey I just shelled out a cool Benjamin on some UA running shoes.  Plank can put that to the "buy out the coaches" fund.

Ha same just bought some presents from UA products, maybe I should've earmarked my purchases for that.

@levineps

#19 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,543 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:06 PM

He should establish a "Buy a Competent AD" fund. Maybe then he wouldn't need the "Buy Out Coaches" fund.

• Markus likes this

#20 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:08 PM

The players suck. Its that simple.

We'll be a TOp 20 team within 2 years. Book it.

Move to the Big 10 will be good for this program as will getting rid of Faust and getting Peters, Trimble, Wiley, and Reed strong PT to go with Layman and Allen.

If we aren't a Top 20 team by Jan '16 I'll call for an immediate firing of Turge. It's really as simple of making a cut off at that point. People jumping off board right now just don't get it. Gary left this program in shambles. And I don't care how many people want to bitch about me for brining that up again. A guy gets more than a little over 2 years to rebuild a program. And it's not like the 1st or 2nd year were horrible.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=