Photo

BSL: Ravens survive, move to 7-6; What did we see?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,357 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:07 PM

I didn't like the playcall either, but i think suggesting that it would've been better to have Leach run it from the RB spot is way out there  They run it to the upback, Leach, fairly often.  I don't like not giving the ball to our best guys, but I also don't like the call because of how bad we've been at short yardage situations running the ball this entire season.

Maybe. The fact that the Ravens have been poor in short yardage running all year, is part of the reason I'd prefer Leach to run out of the RB position there - if Leach was going to run it. Think the play develops quicker. Overall though, I don't like the play call because of the issues the Ravens have had in short yardage... think running at all in that situation was a tough call. Agree with Rob, I would have gone with a QB sneak over any other running play.

#22 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:09 PM

NFL Gameday crew just said that the six 4th quarter lead changes are the most in the 4th quarter since 1940.
  • Oriole85 likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#23 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:18 PM

NFL Gameday crew just said that the six 4th quarter lead changes are the most in the 4th quarter since 1940.

Most lead changes ever in the last 2:05 minutes?

@levineps

#24 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:21 PM

A case of sour grapes?

I'm sure he'll feel the same way for the two years the Vikings will play at the UM stadium--open air--when those fans start chucking snowballs. Of course, those fans might be chucking them at the Vikings, too.

@DJ_McCann

#25 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:23 PM

Has to be. NBC then said that they set a record for 4th quarter lead changes.
@BSLMikeRandall

#26 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:25 PM

It reminded me of the ND-Michigan State game a few season ago, but even more rollercoaster riding here.

@levineps

#27 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:56 PM

Given the conditions and what not, I don't know if it's really worth nitpicking the play overall, execution, etc. It was simply a crazy day to try to play football. Running the risk of sounding cheesy, the big thing I'm going to take away from this game was seeing this team fight it's collective ass off. With the season on the brink and after watching the game winning score get trumped not once but twice, they still found a way to go 80 yds in 40 seconds and get the W. Can't overstate how unbelievably awesome that was.

• BSLChrisStoner and Mike in STL like this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#28 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,357 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:11 PM

Given the conditions and what not, I don't know if it's really worth nitpicking the play overall, execution, etc. It was simply a crazy day to try to play football. Running the risk of sounding cheesy, the big thing I'm going to take away from this game was seeing this team fight it's collective ass off. With the season on the brink and after watching the game winning score get trumped not once but twice, they still found a way to go 80 yds in 40 seconds and get the W. Can't overstate how unbelievably awesome that was.

Right, this is the main takeaway. You can't evaluate much today due to the conditions. The only thing of any note that matters, is that the Ravens found a way to win, and improve to 7-6.

#29 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,068 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:29 PM

I didn't like the playcall either, but i think suggesting that it would've been better to have Leach run it from the RB spot is way out there  They run it to the upback, Leach, fairly often.  I don't like not giving the ball to our best guys, but I also don't like the call because of how bad we've been at short yardage situations running the ball this entire season.

Maybe. The fact that the Ravens have been poor in short yardage running all year, is part of the reason I'd prefer Leach to run out of the RB position there - if Leach was going to run it. Think the play develops quicker. Overall though, I don't like the play call because of the issues the Ravens have had in short yardage... think running at all in that situation was a tough call. Agree with Rob, I would have gone with a QB sneak over any other running play.

How does the play develop faster if Leach is further away at the snap?
  • mweb08 likes this

#30 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:38 PM

I didn't like the playcall either, but i think suggesting that it would've been better to have Leach run it from the RB spot is way out there They run it to the upback, Leach, fairly often. I don't like not giving the ball to our best guys, but I also don't like the call because of how bad we've been at short yardage situations running the ball this entire season.
Looked to me like Leach ran into a pulling guard. It was a pretty terrible play all around, but the short yardage options with this line and crappy weather aren't deep.

@fuzydunlop

#31 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,357 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:11 PM

He begins his carry having gathered speed, vs. taking the ball from a stop.

#32 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:15 PM

He begins his carry having gathered speed, vs. taking the ball from a stop.

Well it's not from a total stop and it would be hard to argue that he would have gotten to the line earlier if he had been lined up at tailback depth. If that were the case, running backs would have to slow down to let their fullbacks get to the hole first.

#33 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,357 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:22 PM

I never saw a replay. Maybe I have things wrong...  either way, it's one play that didn't wind-up meaning much in the larger picture... so I don't care much either way.

Here is what I think I saw though...

LT, LG, C, RG, RT
          QB

RB  FB

What I thought would have worked better, had they wanted to hand it off to Leach was...

LT, LG, C, RG, RT

QB

FB

I'll concede the point though. Guess most would disagree.

#34 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:02 AM

Flacco, Jones, Pitta and Brown pretty much just saved our season for the moment.

Brutal coaching again. PD will find a way to give Harbaugh and his staff credit though. This was all on basically 4 players. The offensive gameplan to throw 22 times in the first half against a poor team in horrible conditions is inexcusable. You could see that 2 Int coming a mile away. The defense was atrocious . Thank god Minn didn't think to spread the ball and get it to Patterson sooner and virtually every play.

#35 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:24 AM

Oh and STFU Peterson. Every freaking city in America that was playing in a blizzard would be throwing snowballs. Get the hell out of here.

#36 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:02 AM

Just win baby! Still can't believe we pulled that off. What a crazy game.

#37 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,759 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:02 AM

http://live.advanced...eid1=2013120800

Check out the dramatic swings in the win probability at the end of the game, unreal!

• You Play to Win the Game, Oriole85 and Mike in STL like this

#38 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:35 AM

Horrible decision not to take the FG and before that to go for it 4th down instead of pinning Minn deep with a punt. Especially, not taking the points with 9 min or whatever it was left on the clock. I get that a 40 yard FG isn't automatic in these conditions but Walsh had hit two and Tucker is obviously really good. Those 3 points could and maybe even should have been the difference in the game. they had already stopped us once on 4th and short.

I felt the only way we could lose this game was to mismanage it with poor coaching. Especially after Peterson goes out. ignoring the last 2 min of the game that pretty much exactly what Harbaugh had done. I hated the first half philosophy. Throwing the ball around with the worst field conditions possible. Cant cut in and out of routes, youre in the shotgun just asking for a bad snap. We were literally trying our best to turn the ball over in the first half. We scored a TD because the refs blew a fumble and Joe ran for a 22 yard scramble. Words cant described how pissed I was watching the majority of this game.

#39 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,759 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:42 AM

Horrible decision not to take the FG and before that to go for it 4th down instead of pinning Minn deep with a punt. Especially, not taking the points with 9 min or whatever it was left on the clock. I get that a 40 yard FG isn't automatic in these conditions but Walsh had hit two and Tucker is obviously really good. Those 3 points could and maybe even should have been the difference in the game. they had already stopped us once on 4th and short.

Disagree completely about that being a horrible decision to not take the FG "try" there.  At that point the game had been a big struggle and there was no way to no if we were going to get another shot to go for a TD.   I wasn't a fan of the play call, but have no problem with going for the 1st down.  Go Big or Go Home.

#40 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:50 AM

I only got to the game with 7 minutes left in the fourth quarter due to a family engagement.  

But based on everything I've read the Ravens game plan was a dome game plan and they failed to adjust in the first half.  Though that seems to always be a problem.  I do wish we had better game planners...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=