1509 replies to this topic

#61 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:36 PM

I can't see Manziel having the pocket skills to be better than most of the notable Qbs Mackus listed above.

He's too small, and NFL teams are going to make him stay in the pocket. He's just not going to be able to run around in the backfield like he did in college and create. I mean he'll be able to do it somewhat, and it'll be exciting, but he's just not going to do it as much as he did in college. He has to learn to read and get the ball out.

#62 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,401 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:12 PM

I can't see Manziel having the pocket skills to be better than most of the notable Qbs Mackus listed above.

He's too small, and NFL teams are going to make him stay in the pocket. He's just not going to be able to run around in the backfield like he did in college and create. I mean he'll be able to do it somewhat, and it'll be exciting, but he's just not going to do it as much as he did in college. He has to learn to read and get the ball out.

I have no clue how good he'll be, but do we really want to keep going with the "he's too small" lounge given Wilson and Brees?

#63 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:34 PM

I have no clue how good he'll be, but do we really want to keep going with the "he's too small" lounge given Wilson and Brees?

If you're small, your pocket skills have to be that much better.

Manziel has nowhere close to the pocket skills of either of those guys. Brees is a pure pocket QB. Wilson has enough pocket skills to make teams respect him from there. Teams are just not going to let Manziel be the Manziel we saw in college.

Please stop picking out one small portion of a post where I'm making a bigger point.

#64 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,674 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:00 AM

So that's Luck, Newton, RG3, Wilson, Kaepernick, Stafford, Foles, Bradford, Dalton, Tannehill, Locker, Manuel, and a bunch of bums (that list may even include a couple).

That's a pretty bold statement.  I think Luck is going to be pretty hard for any of those guys to catch up to, and there are a handful plus of guys in that group that are looking like longtime franchise QBs at the very least.

I know its a pretty bold thing to throw out there, but I'm just a big believer.  

@fuzydunlop

#65 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,401 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:37 AM

If you're small, your pocket skills have to be that much better.

Manziel has nowhere close to the pocket skills of either of those guys. Brees is a pure pocket QB. Wilson has enough pocket skills to make teams respect him from there. Teams are just not going to let Manziel be the Manziel we saw in college.

Please stop picking out one small portion of a post where I'm making a bigger point.

Um, that wasn't a small point.

#66 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,529 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:40 AM

Grantland: NFL Combine Winners and Losers
http://grantland.com...ers-and-losers/

#67 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,401 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:02 PM

Jaws wouldn't want Manziel in the first 3 rounds.

#68 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:13 PM

I heard that this morning...although he did say he has only been through 5 games of tape so far.

Didn't sound like he expected his opinion to change though.

#69 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:26 PM

And the talking heads on Twitter were freaking out about it, like Jaws had just clubbed a baby seal or something. Lande came to his defense kind of, pointing out those who said that about Ryan Leaf were ultimately correct. Regardless, I think Jaws was being nice basically giving him a fourth round grade. He's a fifth round talent whose character issues make him undraftable. On the number of games, Cosell said that certain games of his you watch and he'd be graded as an UDFA.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#70 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:26 PM

CBS SportsBlake Bortles asked about girlfriend Lindsey Duke in combine interviews

@levineps

#71 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:46 PM

CBS SportsReport: Browns not interested in Johnny Manziel, like Derek Carr

To recap: The Browns like Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr, the younger brother of 2002 first-overall pick David Carr, but not fourth overall. Instead, they'll hope he's still on the board when they're on the clock with the No. 26 pick.

@levineps

#72 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:55 PM

If Manziel gets passed Oakland at #5 he could really free fall. I think it's unlikely, but  possible.

It seems Bortles is settling in as the #1 QB on the majority of teams boards.

#73 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,529 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:18 AM

Sports on Earth: Pick 3 (Safeties)

http://www.sportsone...eties-nfl-draft

#74 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:19 PM

CBS' latest mock draft

This one would be interesting, I wish Al Davis was still around:

5. Oakland Raiders -- Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel: Can't you just see Johnny Football in a Raiders uniform, running around and making plays and the "Black Hole" going crazy in their Manziel gear?

@levineps

#75 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,529 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:53 PM

Sports Illustrated: Mock Draft 3/5

http://nfl.si.com/20...wney/?eref=sihp

#76 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,529 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:27 AM

CBS Sports: Big Board  3/6
http://www.cbssports...r-tops-qb-class

#77 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,529 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:48 PM

Sports Illustrated / MMQB: The Bortles Conundrum

http://mmqb.si.com/2...2014-nfl-draft/

#78 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,564 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:38 AM

I don't know what the deal is with Bridgewater's consistency, but I'll let people smarter than me figure that out. He has the skills and arm to be a really good NFL QB though. If I were a Texans fan, he'd be my guy.

#79 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,529 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:58 AM

CBS Sports: Mocks updated as of 3/25

http://www.cbssports...raft/mock-draft

#80 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:07 PM

Awful AnnouncingSTOP OVER-HYPING PRO DAYS, JOHNNY MANZIEL EDITION

When exactly did Pro Days become a big deal? In the ESPN3/ESPNU culture, it makes sense -- I think before that the only people it fascinated was the Mel Kiper types. I don't really care for this stuff too much, but there's an audience for it. I just hate the whole "he had a good pro day," when it's a scripted showcase for the most part. That said, I think JM handled this well with addressing the coaches and putting on the helmet to show how serious he was. I said it last offseason that I thought once he got on the field, he'd be fine. I think he's matured somewhat as well, no inside info but just from watching his interviews.

@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=