#3 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,115 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 27 November 2013 - 02:48 PM

This is actually an honest question for any Jews out there.  How do you feel about Hannukah being on the same day as Thanksgiving?  I have no idea how a typical Jewish family celebrates every night of Hannukah, is it a major thing like Christmas?  Is there a holiday overload? 

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#4 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:00 PM

This is actually an honest question for any Jews out there.  How do you feel about Hannukah being on the same day as Thanksgiving?  I have no idea how a typical Jewish family celebrates every night of Hannukah, is it a major thing like Christmas?  Is there a holiday overload? 

Well, remember that the date changes all the time.

Normally, it isn't shared with other holidays.

I know for orthodox Jews, they don't look at TGiving as a big deal...They may have the big dinner but if its not a jewish Holiday, they could care less.

#5 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:15 PM

Not even a little bit of a big deal.

My wife isn't Jewish, so we do Christmas way bigger than Hanukkah anyway, but with young kids, (mine are 11 and 8), there's no such thing as too many presents/holiday overload.

@beginthebegin71

#6 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:18 PM

I just saw this -- my family didn't combine the two like some did other than lighting the candles and I'm happy we didn't. I like the Thanksgiving meal much more than I like most "Jewish food," even though I like latkes. It was weird having it so early this year, I like it when it's closer to Christmas.

Hannukah is a very minor holiday compared to Christmas, it's just made a bigger deal because well it's the same time of the year as Christmas and overlaps on many occasions. The typical family I'd say (reform or conservative) lights the candles, says the prayers, and opens a gift a night(or close to it). 

When I was younger we did the whole, "present a night" -- The Adam Sandler "eight crazy nights." My parents would sometimes would do theme nights (like everyone getting a sports jersey). Now we usually exchange gifts with my cousins/uncles/aunts on my mom's side(we don't do it with them on my dad's side because they have chosen not to) on a date that fits everyone's schedule(it's pretty secular in nature). And on another day, my parents, siblings, and myself exchange gifts with each other. Typically, we'll actually do this on Christmas since it's a good common date where were all off from work/school and we usually do the "Jewish Christmas" thing of going to the movies, watching the NBA games, eating Chinese. We don't do the Hannukah bush but typically we keep our presents pre-opening near my parents fireplace.

So yeah with all the complaints about Christmas being over-commercialized, Hannukah isn't too much different. In fact, I think you could argue it's become overdone and too emphasis is placed on it just because of where it falls on the calender.

@levineps

#7 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:21 PM

Not even a little bit of a big deal.

My wife isn't Jewish, so we do Christmas way bigger than Hanukkah anyway, but with young kids, (mine are 11 and 8), there's no such thing as too many presents/holiday overload.

I remember when I was younger thinking how cool it was for those who celebrated both that they got more presents. Looking back, I'm guessing they are just allocated differently for the most part.

@levineps

#8 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:23 PM

Well, remember that the date changes all the time.

Normally, it isn't shared with other holidays.

I know for orthodox Jews, they don't look at TGiving as a big deal...They may have the big dinner but if its not a jewish Holiday, they could care less.

Yeah you got a leap month on the Hebrew calender, that's why you got so much variance in the dates from Thanksgiving to it extending after New Years.

@levineps

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=