Photo

BSL: Ravens fall in Chicago with OT loss; What did we see?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:20 AM

Remember when the Ravens never lost to mid-low tier QBs? Well so far this year we've lost to EJ Manuel, Jason Campbell, and Josh McCown. Geno Smith, who was benched yesterday, is up next. We used to never lose those games, now it don't know if we can beat a struggling rookie QB at home.

Yeah, we haven't had the toughest tests this year. We just can't win on the road. My guess is we go 3-1 at home and 0-2 on the road. Finish at 7-9. The worst thing that can happen for us is Cincy having the division wrapped up and playing for nothing the last game and hand us another freebie. We need as high a draft pick as possible.

#22 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,759 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:51 AM

If you can't score from the two yard line on three chances you don't deserve to win.

Yeah there was the chance (3 chances) to win the game right there.  Terrible playcalling down by the goal line.  Not making excuses but I wonder if it was a clean snap if Joe would've been able to hit Torrey in the back of the end zone?

#23 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:58 AM

Yeah there was the chance (3 chances) to win the game right there.  Terrible playcalling down by the goal line.  Not making excuses but I wonder if it was a clean snap if Joe would've been able to hit Torrey in the back of the end zone?

Hard to say. There is no doubt the snap threw the timing of the play off. I think the odds would have been better that Joe would have had a bigger window and been more accurate. I'm also assuming Torrey was the #1 target on the play. Considering Joe looked there first I think it's a good assumption.

#24 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:30 AM

I'm not saying I like our chances. But the next three are very winnable games. If they win all three they sit at 7-6. Meaning they would have to go 2-1 against @DET (Monday Night) vs. NE(Sunday Night), and @CIN, to go 9-7. 

If they lose one of the next three, seasons done. 

Giants went 0-6, and now have won four straight. The Ravens can win three. 

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#25 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:12 AM

I'm not saying I like our chances. But the next three are very winnable games. If they win all three they sit at 7-6. Meaning they would have to go 2-1 against @DET (Monday Night) vs. NE(Sunday Night), and @CIN, to go 9-7. 

If they lose one of the next three, seasons done. 

Giants went 0-6, and now have won four straight. The Ravens can win three. 

Definitely 3 winnable games. If we win all 3 we'll be in the hunt for sure. Even though I think we are favorites in all three games, I still am very leery that we will win all 3 games.

#26 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,068 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:21 AM

Hard to say. There is no doubt the snap threw the timing of the play off. I think the odds would have been better that Joe would have had a bigger window and been more accurate. I'm also assuming Torrey was the #1 target on the play. Considering Joe looked there first I think it's a good assumption.

I think the bad snap forced Joe into thinking he had to get rid of the ball immediately, which he did, since a sack there loses the game.  A good snap and he'd have more time, I think we have a good shot.

I'm surprised they were throwing towards the middle on the play.  I thought that was the perfect time for the fade route to the back pylon.  That's a play you run when you want no downside, it's either a TD or an incompletion, and it's a ball that the QB throws very early, so little chance of a sack.  It's a lower percentage of converting the TD on that fade than on some other routes, but I think the lack of downside made that a sensible playcall, plus it looked like Torrey would've had one-on-one coverage if he ran to the pylon, as the safety was pretty far over to the middle IIRC.

#27 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:30 AM

Im really thinking Joe may have been throwing the ball away there. He missed very high. At the least, he was being very conservative throwing it that high where he thought only Torrey had a chance. The more I see it, the more I think he just threw it away.

#28 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,068 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:32 AM

Im really thinking Joe may have been throwing the ball away there. He missed very high. At the least, he was being very conservative throwing it that high where he thought only Torrey had a chance. The more I see it, the more I think he just threw it away.

Yeah, I agree.  The low snap turned that from "let's see if we can win this thing here!" to "holy shit I gotta get rid of this or else we lose".

Even when he had probably his best game of his career (albeit against a completely banged up Chicago D-line), Gradkowski manages to hurt the team at a critical time.

#29 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:41 AM

I know a few weeks ago Gradkowski finally graded out positive in a game. Has that continued?? Question for anyone who reads PFF.

If he has continually improved, it'll be interesting to see if the Ravens give him another chance at starter next year.

#30 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:27 PM

Did anyone else notice the cut blocking was back at the goal line.  On the play where Rice walked into the endzone lots and lots of cuts.  The LBs filled the holes, the DE/DL went down easy read for Rice, fake the cut in the b-gap take it to the house.

Was glad to see that wrinkle back. 

#31 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,676 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:06 PM

Did anyone else notice the cut blocking was back at the goal line.  On the play where Rice walked into the endzone lots and lots of cuts.  The LBs filled the holes, the DE/DL went down easy read for Rice, fake the cut in the b-gap take it to the house.

Was glad to see that wrinkle back. 

Yeah. Leach blew up his man.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#32 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:55 PM

I know a few weeks ago Gradkowski finally graded out positive in a game. Has that continued?? Question for anyone who reads PFF.

If he has continually improved, it'll be interesting to see if the Ravens give him another chance at starter next year.

He graded out +0.6 against PIT, +1.9 against CLE, -0.6 against CIN, and had his best game yesterday, +3.6.

Specifically in run blocking, he was +0.4, +0.4, +0.4, 0.0, and +2.7 the last five weeks. 

With yesterdays performance, He's at 0.0 in run block, average as it gets. He's -9.4 in pass block.

@BSLMikeRandall

#33 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:54 PM

Also, for all the crap Ngata takes on the inside, did we miss him this week?  He was gone and the pass rush was silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=