HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:41 PM

ESPN: Columbus gets 2015 All-Star Game

http://espn.go.com/n...warded-columbus

Looks like the Caps lasted hosted in 1982, so shouldn't they get one sometime soon?

@levineps

#2 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 09 November 2013 - 12:56 PM

ESPN: Columbus gets 2015 All-Star Game

http://espn.go.com/n...warded-columbus

Looks like the Caps lasted hosted in 1982, so shouldn't they get one sometime soon?

They might. I'll have to look into going to Columbus. Very underrated city. 

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#3 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:51 PM

They might. I'll have to look into going to Columbus. Very underrated city. 

Haven't been there, what am I missing out on? You got Ohio State, what else?

@levineps

#4 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:34 PM

Haven't been there, what am I missing out on? You got Ohio State, what else?

Surprisingly industrialized. I was only there for one night, but from what I saw, downtown Columbus was a pretty happening place. 

@BaltimoreDavey

#5 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:58 PM

Yes NHL, we remember that Columbus has a hockey team :P

@DJ_McCann

#6 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:33 PM

Yes NHL, we remember that Columbus has a hockey team :P

Gotta give them one before they move them.
@JeremyMStrain

#7 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:34 PM

Gotta give them one before they move them.

When is Phoenix getting one?

@levineps

#8 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:28 AM

Hosting the Winter Classic is better than hosting the All Star game.  Although with all of these extrat outdoor games even that has lost some of it's appeal.

• Mike in STL likes this

#9 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:48 AM

Hosting the Winter Classic is better than hosting the All Star game.  Although with all of these extrat outdoor games even that has lost some of it's appeal.

I couldn't agree with you more on this. It will still be a big deal when the Caps host, but the NHL has devalued it IMO by having as many as they do. It should be one US and one Canadian outdoor game per year, that's it.

In terms of the All-Star game, I hadn't really thought about it being better or worse than the WC. But you are probably right. It's not the game that's appealing so much. I don't really care for the game itself. It's the fact you are the center of the hockey universe for a day and they'd have the whole weekend of festivities.

• DuffMan likes this
@levineps

#10 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 30 November 2013 - 05:17 PM

I disagree. I love outdoor games. They have a nice old-time, classic feel to them. Curious to see where the Caps will have theirs. Nationals Park isn't ideal... Fed Ex Field is, to be nice, a dump... 

@BaltimoreDavey

#11 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 November 2013 - 07:07 PM

I disagree. I love outdoor games. They have a nice old-time, classic feel to them. Curious to see where the Caps will have theirs. Nationals Park isn't ideal... Fed Ex Field is, to be nice, a dump... 

I like the outdoor games to, I just wouldn't stage 5-10 of them a year.

The game will almost surely be at Nats Park with the Lerners being part owners of the Caps, but if not FedEx Field. I doubt they'll seriously consider RFK. And the Mall has already been ruled out. And no it's not being played at Camden Yards. I don't want to start a controversy here, but the idea of playing outside the DC area isn't a good one. It's a DC-based team, should be played in the DC area.

@levineps

#12 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 01 December 2013 - 01:23 PM

I like the outdoor games to, I just wouldn't stage 5-10 of them a year.

The game will almost surely be at Nats Park with the Lerners being part owners of the Caps, but if not FedEx Field. I doubt they'll seriously consider RFK. And the Mall has already been ruled out. And no it's not being played at Camden Yards. I don't want to start a controversy here, but the idea of playing outside the DC area isn't a good one. It's a DC-based team, should be played in the DC area.

Nationals Park is (sadly) probably the best option in DC. They'd get far more money out of it if they held it at a football stadium. Baltimore and DC are close enough that Baltimore could be considered "DC area". Heck if I know what Ted Leonisis is thinking though. 

@BaltimoreDavey

#13 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 December 2013 - 01:24 PM

As logical as it may be, there has been way too much animosity between DC and Baltimore for DC to give Baltimore their Winter Classic.

#14 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:55 PM

Nationals Park is (sadly) probably the best option in DC. They'd get far more money out of it if they held it at a football stadium. Baltimore and DC are close enough that Baltimore could be considered "DC area". Heck if I know what Ted Leonisis is thinking though. 

I think it's the NHL's decision not Leonsis, but Leonsis has said he wants it at a DC-based venue. I think you'd be alienating your base if they moved it away from DC, JMO here. There's many in Baltimore who will never support the Caps because they are a DC-based team after all. Likewise, there's many DC people who didn't support the O's because they were a Baltimore-based team. I think playing it in DC is how it should be. That said, if they play the Stadium Series in a few years after they've already had it at Nats Park or FexEx, I'd love to see Camden Yards awarded the game.

@levineps

#15 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:42 PM

I think it's the NHL's decision not Leonsis, but Leonsis has said he wants it at a DC-based venue. I think you'd be alienating your base if they moved it away from DC, JMO here. There's many in Baltimore who will never support the Caps because they are a DC-based team after all. Likewise, there's many DC people who didn't support the O's because they were a Baltimore-based team. I think playing it in DC is how it should be. That said, if they play the Stadium Series in a few years after they've already had it at Nats Park or FexEx, I'd love to see Camden Yards awarded the game.

We say things like this, but Ted Leonsis would be the first to object to an NBA or NHL team moving to a new arena in Baltimore.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#16 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:08 AM

CBS SportsUrban Meyer: Columbus 'really has no professional sports teams'

One school that doesn't have that advantage is The Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio. Just don't tell that to Buckeyes football coach Urban Meyer. From a recent interview with the Atlanta Journal Constitution:

Why should Georgia's elite 2015 prospects consider Ohio State?

"You get a premium education with the opportunity to go compete for a national championship in a large city that really has no professional sports team. There's a lot to be offered up here."

Coach Meyer, the Blue Jackets would like to say hello from that nice arena in downtown Columbus. They are in the NHL, have an award-winning goaltender with a fun name, uniforms and everything. It's really pretty great.

(Nevermind that Columbus is also home to Major League Soccer's Columbus Crew or even the Triple A affiliate of the Cleveland Indians, the Columbus Clippers.)

Now it's not really deniable that the Buckeyes football team is the biggest draw in town, they are a pretty big deal and for good reason with their rich history. But they're not the only show in town. If the Blue Jackets make it into the postseason this year maybe he'll be forced to take notice.

@levineps

#17 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:24 AM

We say things like this, but Ted Leonsis would be the first to object to an NBA or NHL team moving to a new arena in Baltimore.

I completely agree, and it's extremely obvious to see why he would. Same reason Angelos didn't want the Nationals in DC. Who the heck would welcome competition in a market where you pretty much hold a monopoly? 

@BaltimoreDavey

#18 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:25 AM

CBS SportsUrban Meyer: Columbus 'really has no professional sports teams'

Meyer has probably never been to a Blue Jackets game. 

@BaltimoreDavey

#19 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:28 AM

Meyer has probably never been to a Blue Jackets game. 

They showed him the other night on TV at the game. He later clarified his comments that he was only talking about the NFL -- I don't think that's the case.

@levineps

#20 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:30 AM

They showed him the other night on TV at the game. He later clarified his comments that he was only talking about the NFL -- I don't think that's the case.

Also, did Meyer neglect to mention the professional team that he coaches? Sorry, I had to. 

@BaltimoreDavey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=