Photo

Where did all the blogs go? (District Sports Page)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:43 AM

District Sports Page: Blogging the Caps: Where did all the blogs go?

http://districtsport...-blogs-go/20511

I think the proliferation of Twitter and other microblogs have given even more people a voice to share their opinion, albeit 140 characters at a time. Instantaneous feedback can be exciting and intriguing, but it can also be quite distracting — not to mention confusing and sometimes misleading.

This was an interesting article. I think there's many reasons behind it. I do think the rise of social media outlets like Facebook (remember that time it was only limited to college students?) and Twitter are a large reason why you've seen less blogs like Dave points out. It's easier and less work to go on these mediums than it is to write a well written "report" on a game or subject.

Maintaining a blog is almost like a second job and almost always pro bono. Some of the more established ones have revenue sources, but that's after they've grown.

We've seen this with the Orioles blogs and I'm sure other teams ones as well. It will start out as a hobby but "life" gets in the way so to speak. People get married, have kids, don't feel like updating it as frequently. Eventually, I suspect it becomes less fun than it was intended to be.

I saw one person on Twitter say in reaction to this article, shouldn't the younger generation(people now their early 20s) be taking up blogging to replace the "older" bloggers(early 30s and older). I think with outlets already established, you don't see as much of this.

And let's be honest, many of these bloggers have aspirations of doing this professionally like Dave mentioned. So the "best" ones will be hired by *real* media organizations. 

Interesting how the number in about half-a-decade has gone from 80 exclusive Caps blogs to now just over a dozen. I guess this is just the way it is, but I don't like it -- competition makes everyone better and I don't look at blogs as directly competing with one another as much as other businesses -- as I don't think it's an either or kind of thing.

@levineps

#2 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 30 November 2013 - 05:14 PM

Curious topic. I did a check of all the sports blogs that were nominated for The Mobbies, and the only blogs nominated that covered the Capitals were Baltimore Sports Report and Maryland N' DC Sports Network. There used to be sort of a "big 5" of Capitals blogs, but the only ones still remaining are Russian Machine Never Breaks and Japer's Rink. 

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#3 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 November 2013 - 05:24 PM

Why wasn't Japers' nominated? Love that place.

#4 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 30 November 2013 - 05:32 PM

Why wasn't Japers' nominated? Love that place.

Probably because they're more of a DC blog. RMNB wasn't either, which is shocking. 

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=