Photo

Bobby Petrino & The Terps?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Poll: Understanding that it will not happen; would you want MD to hire Petrino if they could? (13 member(s) have cast votes)

Understanding that it will not happen; would you want MD to hire Petrino if they could?

1. No (5 votes [38.46%])

Percentage of vote: 38.46%

2. Yes (8 votes [61.54%])

Percentage of vote: 61.54%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:52 PM

I got to say I'm surprised how many of you would tolerate like you say you would if you were Arkansas AD or administration.

Let's get the facts straight. No one is suggesting he should be fired for cheating on his wife. Bad person, but nothing illegal about that. He might have been able to get away with trying to cover up the fact his mistress was on the motorcycle with him at the time of the crash. He lied to the public there, looks even more foolish, but not necessairly illegal, maybe filing a false police report results in a slap on the wrist.

What was icing on the cake was hiring your mistress for a plum position that 158 other people applied for and not disclosing that relationship. A clear conflict of interest and as a university there was no way around it not to fire him for that.

Think you guys are all big talkers. While Jeff Long made the "decision," you can bet the administration and board would not have accepted anything less in this case. Checks and balances folks.

I totally see what you are saying here. But I'm a guy who values winning over "doing things the right way," especially for a program like MD football that needs to start generating fan interest. Obviously, the #1 way to generate fan interest is to win.

If I was Jeff Long, the only reason I'd consider firing him is if I was afraid of being sued by those who lost out to the job that the chick ultimately got.

Petrino was clearly sorry and apologetic. Long could have suspended him for 2 games without pay and sent him a rather large message privately.

Don't get me wrong...if I was Long, I'd be pissed and I do have an ego, so I'd be very tempted to tell him to take a hike. That being said, again if I was Long, I'm ultimately going to be judged by my superiors by wins and losses in football more-so than any other sport combined, and ultimately, my legacy will be judged on those same merits.

Arkansas very likely went from a top 5 National Championship contender to not having much of a chance to win it with this move.

They have a perfect storm with where they are as a program right now combined with their schedule of having both Bama and LSU at home. To throw that away is a bit extreme IMO.

I understand why he did it..I just wouldn't have done it.
@PeterDiLutis

#22 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:18 AM

Something else to keep in mind here...MD isn't a football program that really matters outside of its fans.

The ACC, as a football conference, isn't that good.

This isn't a high profile, SEC program.

So, hiring a guy like Petrino can really jump start your program and make you become relevant. That has a lot of value, especially when you consider that there is some football talent in this DC/Balt/NOVA area.

#23 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:56 AM

As of today, his squeeze is now available as well ;)
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#24 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:06 AM

As of today, his squeeze is now available as well ;)

I have a position available for her!

#25 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,610 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:21 AM

If Bobby Petrino would come here I'd take him in a heart-beat...and I'm a pretty big Edsall supporter.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#26 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:34 AM

If Bobby Petrino would come here I'd take him in a heart-beat...and I'm a pretty big Edsall supporter.

Doesn't surprise me one bit :D

#27 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills, MD

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:42 PM

I voted no because he wasn't truthful about it upfront, and it might not look good for the image of the program. Then again, if the team ends up winning, the fans will all forgive him for what he did.
@mrbeanage

#28 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:08 PM

I voted no because he wasn't truthful about it upfront, and it might not look good for the image of the program. Then again, if the team ends up winning, the fans will all forgive him for what he did.

I think that's the key, nobody cares how big of a jerk, Nick Saban is. The guy wins. As much as people say they hate Edsall because he's a jerk, that's only half accurate. They hate him more because he is a 2-10 one.
@levineps

#29 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,510 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:42 PM

A program's image is shaped by what the team does on the field. UM's current image is an underachieving team that plays before thousands of empty seats because the fans don't care, and an arrogant SOB of a coach who is responsible for the early departure of a couple dozen players. Replace the arrogant SOB with a lying sleazeball, but win 10 games a season instead of losing 10 games, and the image would actually improve, IMO.

#30 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:50 PM

A program's image is shaped by what the team does on the field. UM's current image is an underachieving team that plays before thousands of empty seats because the fans don't care, and an arrogant SOB of a coach who is responsible for the early departure of a couple dozen players. Replace the arrogant SOB with a lying sleazeball, but win 10 games a season instead of losing 10 games, and the image would actually improve, IMO.

That's correct, because the NCAA operates under what amounts to the old saying that "all press is good press". It doesn't matter what happens to the players or the teams or the coaches, as long as at the end of the day the number in the W column is a bit more crooked than the one in the L column.

It's unfortunate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=