Photo

BSL: MD loses to #9 Clemson; What did we see?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,520 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:14 PM

The Maryland Terrapins fell to 5-3 overall (1-3 in the Atlantic Coast Conference) with a 40-27 loss to #9 Clemson.

With MD playing today without Diggs and Long (not to mention Brown, Ross, Stinebaugh, McDougle, Johnson, etc. etc); I expected the Terps to get crushed today. Especially with Clemson coming off their humbling loss to Florida State last Saturday. I figured the Tigers would be motivated to turn the page on that loss; and put on a show today in College Park.

Instead, MD made a game of it for 3 Quarters, before wilting in the 4th.  Was it disappointing that MD could not find a way to win? Sure. Can you really be that pleased by a 'moral victory' where you lose by 13 points? Of course not. There was no logical reason to expect any results better than what we saw today though.

What did we see?

1) The positive I take from today is that without numerous starters, MD competed. That gives me more optimism for games against teams with comparable talent - like Syracuse, Boston College, and NCST. Clemson was exposed vs. FSU last week, but the core of a team that beat LSU last year, and Georgia this year; was on the field today. The Tigers were playing down to the Terps, but MD still gets credit for staying in the game for 3 Quarters. That Clemson pulled away in the 4th Quarter - with their superior talent, and deeper roster - is not a surprise. Had MD had all of their missing starters available, maybe they pull the upset. As is, you can like the effort from the players who played today.

2) Two tactical decisions helped give MD a chance. First, every time the Clemson offense brought in personnel changes, the MD defense rotated in at-least one defensive change of their own. Second, the Terps offense used a huddle with the goal of taking more time off the clock.

3) Nice explosion from Levern Jacobs, on his 71 yard 1st Quarter score to put MD up 7-3.

4) Following MD's initial TD, Clemson raced down the field - eventually gaining 1st and Goal from the Terps 2 yard line. Maryland came up with three successive strong plays to force the Tigers into their 2nd FG attempt. Converted, MD now led 7-6.

5) The 2nd Quarter began with a strong run from Reid, through several missed tackles. This set up 1st and Goal for the Terps. On 3rd down, Rowe was picked off in the Clemson end zone. A missed opportunity to extend the lead, and for MD (and their crowd) to see their collective confidence grow.

6) After Rowe was picked off in the Clemson end zone, the Tigers again went down the field - only to be stymied in the Red Zone for a 3rd time. Nice tackling from Alvin Hill on 3rd down to force the FG attempt.

7) With MD trailing 9-7, Clemson reached the MD Red Zone for a 4th time. Freshman Yannick Ngakoue came up with a huge 2nd down sack.  On 3rd down, pressure got to Boyd again; and Boyd was charged with intentional grounding. The loss of yardage and the down, knocked Clemson out of FG range.

8) Will Likely has received a lot of playing time this year as a True Freshman. He shows good ball skills, and you see why he was a well regarded recruit. Ideally, you'd like to see him as a Nickleback or slot-defender I think though. On the outside, he often gets picked on by taller WR's (he is 5'7).  He had a very nice play late in the 3rd Quarter to force a 3 an out on Clemson.
8a) Tough penalty on Likely at the end of the 1st half, allowing the Clemson drive to continue. The Tigers would score a TD on that series, going to the locker-room up 16-7.
9) Returning from injury, LB Matt Robinson forced a turnover with a strip of Watkins in the 3rd.  MD's offense would do nothing with the field position, but Craddock would drill his 41 yard FG attempt to make it 16-10 Clemson.

9a) On the following Clemson series, Robinson would recover another Tigers turnover. MD would again miss a chance for additional points, with the replay showing blatant Pass Interference from Clemson which went uncalled. Craddock would again hit from 41 yards, making it 16-13 Tigers.

10) On both 2nd and 3rd and Goal, Petty made plays to prevent a Clemson TD. Clemson would extend their lead to 19-13 on a FG.

11) Reid had some strong running between the tackles today, but his 4th Quarter fumble was a death-blow for the Terps.

12) Rowe really struggled today, even more than his totals show. He missed a number of opportunities. Good arm strength, decent athlete. There is something to work with there. He played better after MD dropped the huddle.

12a) It will be interesting to see how things break out next Spring with the MD QB battle. You would expect the competition to be based around Brown, and Rowe; but you will additionally have Young (who was used on 2 read options today), Cockerille, and Hills. Maybe a transfer is to be expected?

13) Goins has played well in the Secondary this year, especially with McDougle (out for the year), and Johnson having missed so much time. His 4th Quarter pick, gave the MD offense a chance from inside Clemson territory.

14) Horrible play call from the Terps after the Goins 4th Quarter interception. That lost a bunch of yards, and had MD eventually facing 4th and 21.

15) It was nice to see MD add the two garbage time TD's in the 4th. Rowe connecting with both Etta-Tawo, and King for scores.

#2 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,364 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:22 PM

I was impressed with the fight and determination the Terps played with today. They'll get Brandon Ross, C.J. Brown, and Dave Stinebaugh back soon, and can definitely make it into a bowl game. I think that C.J.'s ability to run the ball will certainly help this offense and take some pressure off of the inexperienced WRs to make plays. They really need a win over Syracuse next week, that's a game they can definitely win.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#3 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:09 PM

I don't think I can say I was impressed by their showing today. But I am certainly relieved that my worst fears did not come true. I am hopeful that they can find a way to win 2, or maybe even 3 of their 4 remaining games.

#4 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,564 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:55 PM

It was an entertaining game... proud that they played relatively well all things considered.

#5 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,712 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:39 AM

If this had been Fridge's team people would be salivating over the fact that we didn't get our asses handed to us.

Instead, people are just "not impressed."

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#6 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,564 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:07 AM

If this had been Fridge's team people would be salivating over the fact that we didn't get our asses handed to us.

Agreed. It was a dog fight. Closer than the final score indicated, IMO. And that is with one of the premier players in the country out, and a few other very good players as well. Not to mention, our back up QB. 

#7 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:12 PM

Defense was stellar for 3.5 quarters.  Just ran out of gas at the end thanks to absolutely no help from the offense until the game was pretty much decided.

Said it in the game thread but the past 3 games when Rowe's mostly been the QB the offense has essentially done jack squat.  Granted his receiver didn't help him at times yesterday with some drops but there were a fair amount of just awful throws.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#8 Baltimore Chop

Baltimore Chop
  • Members
  • 74 posts
  • LocationTowson

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:33 PM

Defense was stellar for 3.5 quarters.  Just ran out of gas at the end thanks to absolutely no help from the offense until the game was pretty much decided.

Said it in the game thread but the past 3 games when Rowe's mostly been the QB the offense has essentially done jack squat.  Granted his receiver didn't help him at times yesterday with some drops but there were a fair amount of just awful throws.

The offensive line didn't help him at all in the 4th quarter.  They were regularly getting beat, so Rowe had no time to get set before a defender was on him.  I can't blame the QB when he's running for his life trying to find an open receiver on a given play.

Frankly, I thought Rowe played a great game, all things considered.  He's clearly got a good arm and has no fear in the pocket. He hit the receivers in the hands numerous times. He also did a very good job of eluding what should have been a blind side sack in the 4th quarter.  My opinion is this one was NOT Rowe's fault. I lay the blame at the feet of the O-line and receivers.

The one play I totally fault him on was the pick in the end zone in the second quarter. That was a poor decision.

Perception is reality.

#9 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:42 PM

The offensive line didn't help him at all in the 4th quarter.  They were regularly getting beat, so Rowe had no time to get set before a defender was on him.  I can't blame the QB when he's running for his life trying to find an open receiver on a given play.

Frankly, I thought Rowe played a great game, all things considered.  He's clearly got a good arm and has no fear in the pocket. He hit the receivers in the hands numerous times. He also did a very good job of eluding what should have been a blind side sack in the 4th quarter.  My opinion is this one was NOT Rowe's fault. I lay the blame at the feet of the O-line and receivers.

The one play I totally fault him on was the pick in the end zone in the second quarter. That was a poor decision.

That's probably a bit strong.

@levineps

#10 Baltimore Chop

Baltimore Chop
  • Members
  • 74 posts
  • LocationTowson

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:48 PM

Well, seeing as how he had little time to get set, and didn't really make a whole lot of horridly bad decisions out there, I thought he played a great game. He was throwing some good balls out there, from what I saw.

Maybe the timing was off slightly with his receivers, but usually if you're hitting the guy in the hands, they are expected to catch the ball. Those issues can be fixed in the film room and on the practice field.

Still....the backup QB was out there with backup receivers, a backup RB, and a sucktastic O-line against a top 10 team...and he held his own. That's a great game.

Bottom line, I like what I've been seeing from Rowe. He seems to be getting more comfortable out there.

Perception is reality.

#11 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,520 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:52 PM

Well, seeing as how he had little time to get set, and didn't really make a whole lot of horridly bad decisions out there, I thought he played a great game. He was throwing some good balls out there, from what I saw.

Maybe the timing was off slightly with his receivers, but usually if you're hitting the guy in the hands, they are expected to catch the ball. Those issues can be fixed in the film room and on the practice field.

Still....the backup QB was out there with backup receivers, a backup RB, and a sucktastic O-line against a top 10 team...and he held his own. That's a great game.

Bottom line, I like what I've been seeing from Rowe. He seems to be getting more comfortable out there.

He has a nice arm, no doubt there. Decent athlete as well.  I see Edsall has stated that Brown will remain the starter. Will be interesting to see their battle next Spring.

#12 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,364 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:40 PM

He has a nice arm, no doubt there. Decent athlete as well.  I see Edsall has stated that Brown will remain the starter. Will be interesting to see their battle next Spring.

Locksley obviously prefers a mobile QB taking snaps. The read-option is a big part of his offense. And I don't see that changing with Shane Cockerille redshirting this season and Will Ulmer coming in next season. That said, there's no reason why Rowe can't run a modified version of this offense. Technically it's a "Multiple" offense, and they've shown that they can adapt it to more of a pro-style look when Rowe is in there.

I like Brown, I like his decision-making and his legs. I think he's very accurate when it comes to short-intermediate passes. What Rowe gives you is a vertical passing threat, something C.J. simply doesn't. Edsall doesn't like two-quarterback systems, so don't expect that. But Rowe can have a role in this offense for sure. The competition next season will be ripe. You've got C.J. Brown, Caleb Rowe, Ricardo Young, Perry Hills, Shane Cockerille, and Will Ulmer. Honestly, I see Hills transferring pretty soon. I might also see Young transferring. QB certainly isn't a weakness of this team.

@BSLZackKiesel

#13 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:43 PM

He certainly didn't have a whole lot of help from his line or receivers, but to say he had a great game is a huge stretch. There were enough occasions when he did have time and an open receiver, and missed badly, to say that he wasn't any better than the rest of the offense.

#14 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:26 PM

Fridge actually beat ranked teams.

#15 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:28 PM

Locksley obviously prefers a mobile QB taking snaps. The read-option is a big part of his offense. And I don't see that changing with Shane Cockerille redshirting this season and Will Ulmer coming in next season. That said, there's no reason why Rowe can't run a modified version of this offense. Technically it's a "Multiple" offense, and they've shown that they can adapt it to more of a pro-style look when Rowe is in there.

I like Brown, I like his decision-making and his legs. I think he's very accurate when it comes to short-intermediate passes. What Rowe gives you is a vertical passing threat, something C.J. simply doesn't. Edsall doesn't like two-quarterback systems, so don't expect that. But Rowe can have a role in this offense for sure. The competition next season will be ripe. You've got C.J. Brown, Caleb Rowe, Ricardo Young, Perry Hills, Shane Cockerille, and Will Ulmer. Honestly, I see Hills transferring pretty soon. I might also see Young transferring. QB certainly isn't a weakness of this team.

Depth at Qb isn't a weakness. Big difference.

#16 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,712 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:35 PM

Fridge actually beat ranked teams.

Can you just go ahead and admit that it's impossible for you to discuss Edsall vs. Friedgen because you're way too biased?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#17 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:47 PM

Can you just go ahead and admit that it's impossible for you to discuss Edsall vs. Friedgen because you're way too biased?

I've said this before and I'll say it again. I was fine with Fridge being fired. Had no problem attempting to go from "good to great". The problem is Edsall was never the right choice for that task.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=