#1 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,363 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:11 AM

In my latest post, I take a step back and re-evaluate the rest of Maryland's season. In this article, I take a look at the remaining schedule and make a few predictions. I also discuss Randy Edsall and his time here in College Park, and profile the players who will be expected to step up and replace Stefon Diggs and Deon Long.

http://baltimorespor...rylands-season/

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,475 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:24 AM

Good read Zack.

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,475 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:20 PM

I'd be interested to see some feedback from the board on Zack's article here.

Where do you agree, disagree?

What are the ramifications if things work out as Zack suggests?

#4 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,555 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:09 PM

Good stuff Zack.

I pretty much agree with your outlook here. I do think the WR depth is at least decent enough to do OK in the absence of Long and Diggs, though obviously not nearly the playmakers they both are.

In any event - like you, I think Edsall will be more than safe with a 6-6 bowl season this year. He's had a lot to deal with.

That said - I do think that at a certain point, you have to wonder if Edsall is doing some things, or not doing some things that are causing such alarming injury numbers for the second consecutive year. Working the squad too hard? Too lightly? What's the deal? I don't want to assume this is the case, but one will wonder.

#5 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:14 PM

Good stuff Zack.

I pretty much agree with your outlook here. I do think the WR depth is at least decent enough to do OK in the absence of Long and Diggs, though obviously not nearly the playmakers they both are.

In any event - like you, I think Edsall will be more than safe with a 6-6 bowl season this year. He's had a lot to deal with.

That said - I do think that at a certain point, you have to wonder if Edsall is doing some things, or not doing some things that are causing such alarming injury numbers for the second consecutive year. Working the squad too hard? Too lightly? What's the deal? I don't want to assume this is the case, but one will wonder.

Here's a question I have, how much did the turf change effect injuries? I've always been a big fan of playing on grass. Just curious about that.

I do wonder about strength and condition here though, which ultimately falls under Edsall and the higher ups.

I'm guessing these injuries for the most part are just bad luck and not entirely preventable. I'm willing to give him a pass for last year and maybe even somewhat this year, as it's only his third year. But at some point and I think that's next year, injuries can no longer be used as excuses.

@levineps

#6 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:31 PM

I'd be interested to see some feedback from the board on Zack's article here.

Where do you agree, disagree?

What are the ramifications if things work out as Zack suggests?

I got a ton of respect for Zack and once again he did a great job here.

I think he does a good job of presenting his viewpoint, but understands opposing opinions and discusses them. I find myself in agreement for the most part on the injuries and the effect it has on his job. As I said I'm willing to forgive him for last year and even some of this year. I do think we're getting to the point however, where it's not valid an excuse no matter how severe it is.

I agree with him, that we'll limp to a bowl game. The only slight disagreement I really find myself with him on is even prior to injuries I think winning at VT was going to be difficult, not as bad as Clemson but a very tough game. Worst case scenario, we win no games, best case is 3 and we'll likely win 1, but if they win 2 that wouldn't surprise me that much.

@levineps

#7 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,363 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:40 AM

I got a ton of respect for Zack and once again he did a great job here.

I think he does a good job of presenting his viewpoint, but understands opposing opinions and discusses them. I find myself in agreement for the most part on the injuries and the effect it has on his job. As I said I'm willing to forgive him for last year and even some of this year. I do think we're getting to the point however, where it's not valid an excuse no matter how severe it is.

I agree with him, that we'll limp to a bowl game. The only slight disagreement I really find myself with him on is even prior to injuries I think winning at VT was going to be difficult, not as bad as Clemson but a very tough game. Worst case scenario, we win no games, best case is 3 and we'll likely win 1, but if they win 2 that wouldn't surprise me that much.

Thanks for the kind words, Madison. I definitely agree with you that winning at VT was going to be tough. I thought it'd be a good, close game between two fairly even teams before all of these injuries. Being on the road, I would have given VT the edge.

@BSLZackKiesel

#8 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,543 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:49 PM

Virginia Tech is the #2 defense in the country in YPG allowed, and #5 in PPG allowed. Even if everyone on the Terps offense was healthy, it would have been extremely difficult to put up points against them, especially at home. The only realistic chance the Terps had of winning that game was forcing turnovers, something they completely stopped doing after the WVU game. And because the Hokies have such a dominant defense, their offense is very low-risk, so they don't turn it over a lot. Winning in Blacksburg is a pipe dream.

#9 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:52 PM

Virginia Tech is the #2 defense in the country in YPG allowed, and #5 in PPG allowed. Even if everyone on the Terps offense was healthy, it would have been extremely difficult to put up points against them, especially at home. The only realistic chance the Terps had of winning that game was forcing turnovers, something they completely stopped doing after the WVU game. And because the Hokies have such a dominant defense, their offense is very low-risk, so they don't turn it over a lot. Winning in Blacksburg is a pipe dream.

I think the FSU game (even before the injuries), left the Terps very exposed. After seeing Clemson get routed, it's apparent just how good FSU is however. I don't think they stood much of a chance against VT either.

@levineps

#10 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,475 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:48 AM

Seems like a good time to revisit this thread.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=