mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 10 June 2016 - 08:19 PM

Typical old guy response. 

Do you look at that list and see a good decade for music?  (This is real question...)

Yes

#42 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 08:20 PM

Yes

I'm truly sorry   ;-)

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#43 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,561 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 08:21 PM

Hip hop had its pinnacle in the 90's so I don't write off the decade like some old white men would. It's a pretty fucking great decade for music even outside of hip hop. But maybe those who look down on and write off the 90's music are racist? Maybe that's what's going on.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#44 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 08:21 PM

But I'm biased. I grew up in the 90's. You're biased too. Your response literally is a typical old person response. I might say the same thing about 20's or 30's music.

#45 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 08:23 PM

But I'm biased. I grew up in the 90's. You're biased too. Your response literally is a typical old person response. I might say the same thing about 20's or 30's music.

Well, on the one hand, there is truth in what you say...  but on the other hand, if we compare what was going on for each of us at the same age, I was born at a better time for almost everything... the only downside is that I'm gonna die first...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#46 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 08:29 PM

Well, on the one hand, there is truth in what you say...  but on the other hand, if we compare what was going on for each of us at the same age, I was born at a better time for almost everything... the only downside is that I'm gonna die first...

Uh really? Why's that?

#47 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 10 June 2016 - 08:29 PM

These albums should be listened to before judgment is passed. OK Computer is the second best album ever made.
  • NewMarketSean likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#48 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 08:30 PM

It's natural that you think that.

#49 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,561 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 08:33 PM

Everyone thinks that. It's the cyclical irony of aging. Everyone thinks when they grew up is the most important time in the history of the universe.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#50 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 10:29 PM

Uh really? Why's that?

More hope... better economy... cheaper, better education... healthcare was cheap...  rock'n'roll produced a decade's worth of goodness about every 18 months... America was working to live up to its promises, not forget about them... the middle class was alive and well... sex was safe...  the news was mostly trustworthy... and the Baltimore Orioles were good all the time...  

What else could you possibly want?

EDIT:  Am not saying you guys are inferior... just saying that the era mostly is....

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#51 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 10 June 2016 - 11:44 PM

60s: music sex drugs Orioles.

This generation, or any generation, can't compete.

Just is what it is.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#52 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 07:16 AM

60s: music sex drugs Orioles.

This generation, or any generation, can't compete.

Just is what it is.

There's some social factors that favor more modem times. Plus the 60's ended with a draft for arguably the worst war in our history.

Technology factors as well of course.

And the golden age of TV.

The 60's are legendary though.

I'm just sticking up for the decade I grew up in and going against something I dislike, which is old people bashing something more modern, like music.

#53 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 08:04 AM

I'm just sticking up for the decade I grew up in and going against something I dislike, which is old people bashing something more modern, like music.

Well, the truth is that I was just responding to that list of 90's albums... I wasn't thinking about how that list fit into anybody's life... (maybe I should have been, but I wasn't)... I also didn't say the music in that list was somehow worth bashing... I just said that, as lists for decades go, it's not a very stout list, that's all... doesn't mean it's not good music... hell, there's lots of music I like that I wouldn't put on any best-of-the-decade list...

#54 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 08:16 AM

There is no way Shack knows much, if anything, about 90s music.

#55 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 09:49 AM

I'd like to see Shacks top 10 albums of the 90s. For comparison sake.

Something tells me the Forrest Gump soundtrack tops the list.
  • Pedro Cerrano likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#56 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 01:54 PM

I'd like to see Shacks top 10 albums of the 90s. For comparison sake.

Something tells me the Forrest Gump soundtrack tops the list.

The Forrest Grump soundtrack?

If you want a quality response, you need to improve the quality of your insults   ;-)

#57 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 03:13 PM

The Forrest Grump soundtrack?

If you want a quality response, you need to improve the quality of your insults   ;-)

Not really an insult. More of an insinuation that you prefer music from the 60' and 70s over the music our lame generation.
@BSLMikeRandall

#58 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 03:19 PM

Not really an insult. More of an insinuation that you prefer music from the 60' and 70s over the music our lame generation.

What the hell does this have to do with your generation?   I already said it was the era, not you guys...  

Thin skin is overrated...  but given how prevalent it is, you have my word that I will not comment on 90's music ever again...

The only caveat is that I reserve the right to diss thrash metal whenever possible  ;-)

#59 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 03:24 PM

These damn kids with their hippity hop and their electric guitars.

• JeremyStrain likes this

#60 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 05:18 PM

What the hell does this have to do with your generation?   I already said it was the era, not you guys...  

Thin skin is overrated...  but given how prevalent it is, you have my word that I will not comment on 90's music ever again...

The only caveat is that I reserve the right to diss thrash metal whenever possible  ;-)

Anyone ever tell you that you are bad at message boards? It works better when people know what the hell you are talking about.

You diss the list Pedro and others put together of the "era". So Id be curious what your list might be, of the "era". Since theirs is not good in your opinion.

I made a light hearted, hardly a joke, just an insinuation, that the Forrest Gump soundtrack might make your list. See, it was a movie made it 90s that take place between about 1950s and the 80s and features a lot of popular music from the era that you call the greatest. Since the album/soundtrack came out in the 90s, it could be on your list.

Your response....no one knows what the hell are you talking about.

Feel free to tell this story on SOSH. I'm sure they will be delighted to hear it.
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=