#1 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,412 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:02 PM

Posnanski presents a different way for voting for the HOF. What do you think of it and how would you rank the top 10?

Explanation: http://joeposnanski....ame-ballot.html

Further Explanation and Results from the survey: http://joeposnanski....ts-edition.html

• Icterus galbula likes this

#2 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:26 PM

I voted, though I don't remember my rankings (I think I had Maddox first).

I think it is an interesting idea. I don't know about guaranteeing two inductees--that seems too limiting to me, too easy to turn into "he has to wait his turn"--but making it into point totals instead of percentages has some potential.

@DJ_McCann

#3 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:37 PM

They really should do the HOF this way and the results are pretty interesting, part of which is Bonds and Clemens getting votes less in number but more in enthusiasm.

I usually read his blog but didn't check it in time before the results. I still attempted a vote and it was kind of difficult to do. Really reinforces that there are a gigantic number of worthy candidates on this ballot.

#4 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:39 PM

They really should do the HOF this way and the results are pretty interesting, part of which is Bonds and Clemens getting less number but enthusiastic votes.

I usually read his blog but didn't check it in time before the results. I voted and it was kind of difficult to do. Really reinforces that there are a gigantic number of worthy candidates on this ballot.

It really is. Which makes it all the more the shame that truly deserving candidates like Bagwell and Piazza didn't get in already because of media bullshit, let alone Biggio simply not getting enough votes, let alone Bonds and Clemens.

@DJ_McCann

#5 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,412 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:40 PM

They really should do the HOF this way and the results are pretty interesting, part of which is Bonds and Clemens getting votes less in number but more in enthusiasm.

I usually read his blog but didn't check it in time before the results. I voted and it was kind of difficult to do. Really reinforces that there are a gigantic number of worthy candidates on this ballot.

Yeah, I agree about this system making more sense overall, but like DJ, I'm not sure where you draw the line between getting in and not.

#6 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,412 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:44 PM

My top 10:

Bonds

Clemens

Maddux

Bagwell

Piazza

Thomas

Raines

Schilling

McGwire

Biggio

#7 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:47 PM

Bonds

Maddox

Clemens

Thomas

Bagwell

Piazza

Raines

Biggio

Martinez

Trammell

@DJ_McCann

#8 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:53 PM

Okay, this isn't exactly what I voted, but I gave it some more thought and made some changes.

1. Maddux

2. Thomas

3. Bonds

4. Clemens

5. Piazza

6. Bagwell

7. Glavine

8. Raines

9. Mussina

10. Martinez

Clemens and Bonds could plausibly get the number 1 votes here if I didn't know about the roids. As is, I dock them a little bit for it, and think there should be mention of their controversy on their plaques, but if I'm a voter I think their careers are still HOF ones.

Tough to leave Biggio off. Trammel too, he stacks up too well against the HOF comparables. Schilling is a douche but he should probably get in. Walker has a solid case, IMO too.

#9 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,412 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:57 PM

I think it's hard to put Glavine and Moose over Schilling, even if he is a douche.<br />

#10 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,412 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:02 PM

I'm good with all of the guys listed on these 3 lists making it.

#11 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:03 PM

I think it's hard to put Glavine and Moose over Schilling, even if he is a douche.<br />

I understand where you are coming from. In my head I thought Schilling was a little bit more of a "short awesome peak" guy and that Moose and Glavine had more sustained excellence. Then I just did some comparisons with Mussina and Glavine and the career totals in many categories are more impressive. Win total may hold him back, fair or not.

Might have to edit my list again. Sad thing is I am probably putting in more thought than many voters and I've still made a couple off choices as I refine my list. 

#12 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,412 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:05 PM

I think it's hard to put Glavine and Moose over Schilling, even if he is a douche.

I understand where you are coming from. In my head I thought Schilling was a little bit more of a "short awesome peak" guy and that Moose and Glavine had more sustained excellence. Then I just did some comparisons with Mussina and Glavine and the career totals in many categories are more impressive. Win total may hold him back, fair or not.

Might have to edit my list again. Sad thing is I am probably putting in more thought than many voters and I've still made a couple off choices as I refine my list. 

I'd say not fair in regards to the win total. He also had the best K/BB ratio ever for a starter and he has to be given extra credit for the postseason success IMO.

#13 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,412 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:07 PM

And yeah, I'm sure you're putting more thought into it than some actual voters, some of which seem to go by the in depth process of when they say his name, they should instantly know if he's a HOF'er.

#14 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:08 PM

I'd say not fair in regards to the win total. He also had the best K/BB ratio ever for a starter and he has to be given extra credit for the postseason success IMO.

Yeah, I'm now thinking that I replace Mussina with Schilling, keep everything else the same for now. I was probably being a little bit of a homer, but I do really think Moose should eventually get in and worry that he'll get buried.

#15 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,412 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:12 PM

Yeah, I'm now thinking that I replace Mussina with Schilling, keep everything else the same for now. I was probably being a little bit of a homer, but I do really think Moose should eventually get in and worry that he'll get buried.

Same here. There is a real danger of a borderline guy failing to even get 5% considering the glut of strong candidates, the he's not a first ballot guy thinking, along with some of the voters just sucking.

#16 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:22 PM

Same here. There is a real danger of a borderline guy failing to even get 5% considering the glut of strong candidates, the he's not a first ballot guy thinking, along with some of the voters just sucking.

Like Lofton last year.

• mweb08 likes this
@DJ_McCann

#17 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,412 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:23 PM

Like Lofton last year.

Yeah, and this year there's even more solid candidates to consider.

#18 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:23 PM

The % that Jack Morris beats Mussina by is going to be disgustingly unfair.

FWIW, the BBref Elo-rater currently has Moose at #32 of pitchers, all time, and Morris at #87. 

• mweb08 likes this

#19 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,412 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:25 PM

Whitaker, Joey Belle, and even Bernie Williams are other casualties of the voting process.

#20 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,641 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:29 PM

And the Tigers take the lead. Incredible.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=