#1 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:08 PM

District Sports Page: OPINION: Banishment of fighting is coming, and it’s none too soon

http://districtsport...fb_source=pubv1

Fighting continues because it’s part of the entertainment value of the game. Pure and simple.

Let me rephrase — I don’t like staged fighting. If two guys get tangled up or are pushing for position and they start to swing at each other out of aggression naturally and organically, I’m okay with that. That’s part of the game. It’s physical and fast and there are occasions when guys are going to be overcome with adrenaline or feel they’ve been taken advantage of.

I don’t want to take checking out of the game. I don’t want to take away the contact. I want the stupidity removed.

The league doesn’t have the, ahem, testicular fortitude to ban fighting — yet — because they are painfully aware that a large segment of their fan base wants to see the violence. In its rich history, the league has yet to have a player die on the ice from a fight. It’s only a matter of time, unfortunately.

@levineps

#2 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:53 PM

Does The Momentum Boost From Fighting Help Teams Win Games?

http://oilersnation....teams-win-games

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#3 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:16 PM

I don't believe in the "fans pay to see violence" aspect (although that did excite me when I was younger), but because it's a violent contact sport, there will always be guys that are out to take out your best skill players, which necessitates having someone to keep them from killing your best players.

@JeremyMStrain

#4 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:15 PM

I don't believe in the "fans pay to see violence" aspect (although that did excite me when I was younger), but because it's a violent contact sport, there will always be guys that are out to take out your best skill players, which necessitates having someone to keep them from killing your best players.

Don't need to fight to do that. A good hard check is all that most guys need. I've noticed that teams are shying away from using enforcers against other team's top lines. I imagine that's because of how fast-paced the game has become. 

@BaltimoreDavey

#5 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:46 PM

Don't need to fight to do that. A good hard check is all that most guys need. I've noticed that teams are shying away from using enforcers against other team's top lines. I imagine that's because of how fast-paced the game has become. 

Yeah because if they get by them its an odd man rush easy, but you'll see a lot of late and dirty hits too, its why they brought shanny in to be the sherriff so to speak, so that guys are risking pay to be a thug.
@JeremyMStrain

#6 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:02 PM

Yeah because if they get by them its an odd man rush easy, but you'll see a lot of late and dirty hits too, its why they brought shanny in to be the sherriff so to speak, so that guys are risking pay to be a thug.

Good point. The days of the one-dimensional enforcer are just about over. 

@BaltimoreDavey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=