#1 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:31 AM

ESPN: Sources: 2015 All-Star Game in N.Y.

http://espn.go.com/n...a-all-star-game

The All-Star Game itself will be played Sunday, Feb. 15, 2015, at the newly renovated Madison Square Garden. The Saturday night festivities, including the slam dunk contest and the 3-point shootout, will take place at the new Barclays Center in Brooklyn.

Earlier Tuesday, the Toronto Sun reported the NBA will soon announce the 2016 All-Star Game will be played at Air Canada Centre in Toronto.

@levineps

#2 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:52 AM

The NBA really doesn't seem to mind repeating sites in a close time frame unlike other sports. For the last decade, they've steered towards warm weather sites. It was mentioned in the link about going to NYC area every 4-5 years.

Not a big fan of this, would like to see it spread around more.

@levineps

#3 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,252 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:33 AM

God, you scared me. Im on tapatalk and I thought this was MLB until I saw the forum

#4 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:21 AM

God, you scared me. Im on tapatalk and I thought this was MLB until I saw the forum

Ha, sorry. I don't mind them going to NYC/LA more frequently than other places... the two largest markets with two teams each. But I think they need to "spread the wealth" more and bring it to other markets. I saw Sacramento has never hosted before. When they get a new arena, put a game there; after all, the ownership just paid an NBA record (yes, I realize largely to keep a team out of Seattle). Seattle is going to be to the NBA, what LA is to the NFL in that not having a team there might be more valuable than having one there since many teams can use that as leverage whenever they are negotiating for a new arena.

@levineps

#5 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,523 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:26 PM

Ha, sorry. I don't mind them going to NYC/LA more frequently than other places... the two largest markets with two teams each. But I think they need to "spread the wealth" more and bring it to other markets. I saw Sacramento has never hosted before. When they get a new arena, put a game there; after all, the ownership just paid an NBA record (yes, I realize largely to keep a team out of Seattle). Seattle is going to be to the NBA, what LA is to the NFL in that not having a team there might be more valuable than having one there since many teams can use that as leverage whenever they are negotiating for a new arena.

Other than the Milwaukee Bucks, are there any teams that we can expect to be in that category over the next decade? I guess you never know with these things though....when some owner gets something new, everyone else wants the same. I was shocked when I heard the Atlanta Falcons were wanting a new stadium a few months ago, the Georgia Dome hardly seemed like an out-of-date facility.

EDIT: Forgot I read about some potential situation with the Knicks losing their lease for the space where MSG sits in another 10 years or so. Although even if that happens I'd say there is zero chance they leave NYC.

#6 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:33 PM

Other than the Milwaukee Bucks, are there any teams that we can expect to be in that category over the next decade? I guess you never know with these things though....when some owner gets something new, everyone else wants the same. I was shocked when I heard the Atlanta Falcons were wanting a new stadium a few months ago, the Georgia Dome hardly seemed like an out-of-date facility.

EDIT: Forgot I read about some potential situation with the Knicks losing their lease for the space where MSG sits in another 10 years or so. Although even if that happens I'd say there is zero chance they leave NYC.

These facilities get "outdated" pretty fast. Detroit, Minnesota, Utah, Phoenix... All weren't built too far after Milwaukee.

@levineps

#7 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,523 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:46 PM

These facilities get "outdated" pretty fast. Detroit, Minnesota, Utah, Phoenix... All weren't built too far after Milwaukee.

It appears to me that with arenas there hasn't been as much in the way of groundbreaking additions as there has been with stadiums...particularly retractable roofs. Unless we see something that does break new ground in terms of being able to generate new revenues, some owners might be willing to just have incremental upgrades made to the facilities they play in rather than pull the relocation card and risk the acrimony. I do know that in Milwaukee's case vs the other cities you mentioned, their arena has significantly fewer luxury suites, and adding more to the existing structure may not be a possibility.

#8 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:36 PM

It appears to me that with arenas there hasn't been as much in the way of groundbreaking additions as there has been with stadiums...particularly retractable roofs. Unless we see something that does break new ground in terms of being able to generate new revenues, some owners might be willing to just have incremental upgrades made to the facilities they play in rather than pull the relocation card and risk the acrimony. I do know that in Milwaukee's case vs the other cities you mentioned, their arena has significantly fewer luxury suites, and adding more to the existing structure may not be a possibility.

Once a team moves to Seattle, that's not going to be leverage any longer so that might jump start it earlier than it should. There's not many other desirable markets out there like that.

@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=