#1 BSLMattJergensen

BSLMattJergensen

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:19 PM

http://www.baltimore...obref=obnetwork

I told people the over the years I liked Keith Olbermann more when he making up funny nicknames and reading me sports scores instead of his political gig.

But I'm not sure if I understand this one.

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,269 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:26 PM

I think with the ways the NCAA picks and chooses to enforce their inane rules, it is better to play things overly safe vs. doing anything which the NCAA might penalize the program.

Pretty crazy to have to worry about giving a game ball though. Even crazier to think that Edsall was purposely attempting to 'hurt' Whitfield.

#3 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:30 PM

http://www.baltimore...obref=obnetwork

I told people the over the years I liked Keith Olbermann more when he making up funny nicknames and reading me sports scores instead of his political gig.

But I'm not sure if I understand this one.

I think KO even said this was meant to be relatively light, compared to when he did it on his MSNBC show -- it is after all, only sports. I love the segment and KO. I wouldn't make too big of a deal about it.

@levineps

#4 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:31 PM

I think with the ways the NCAA picks and chooses to enforce their inane rules, it is better to play things overly safe vs. doing anything which the NCAA might penalize the program.

Pretty crazy to have to worry about giving a game ball though. Even crazier to think that Edsall was purposely attempting to 'hurt' Whitfield.

Agreed, always better to approach it that way.

@levineps

#5 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:34 PM

I think KO even said this was meant to be relatively light, compared to when he did it on his MSNBC show -- it is after all, only sports. I love the segment and KO. I wouldn't make too big of a deal about it.

Yeah it's supposed to be more of a "fun" worst person kinda deal. I saw over on WaPo the previous day he had Bryce Harper as the worst person for mixing up the "could care less" and "couldn't care less" thing.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#6 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,485 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:41 PM

So now that this has been cleared up with the NCAA, have they at least given Whitfield and everyone else their game ball? If so, then it's kind of silly to call Edsall out for being cautious, even if overly so. I think we know who the real villain in this story is.

#7 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,935 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:44 PM

I can't stand Edsall.  But this is stupid.  On everybody's part.  The NCAA for having that rule in place at one time, Edsall/Maryland for thinking it was still in place, and Olbermann for using it on his show.

#8 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,355 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:07 PM

Over time, I've gotten used to the Edsall hate. I have been a huge supporter of his from Day One, but I realize that everyone else hasn't felt that way. But now that people have seen what an incredible recruiter he is, and how he should have been in a bowl game last season if he didn't lose every QB on the roster, it seemed like most people were beginning to see what I saw in him from Day One.

That being said, I don't expect much from people like Keith Olbermann, Skip Bayless, etc. They're where they are to create controversy. They over-exaggerate EVERYTHING to make a story. Honestly, I think they're the lowest of the low when it comes to calling themselves "reporters" or claiming to actually know anything about sports.

@BSLZackKiesel

#9 BSLMattJergensen

BSLMattJergensen

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:21 PM

I guess that's part of it. I don't understand the context of his statement. He could have said it with a bit of sarcasm which I would understand in this case. The NCAA is a comedy act that just feeds this kind of satire.

I think Edsall being overly cautious make sense.

#10 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,485 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:23 PM

Over time, I've gotten used to the Edsall hate. I have been a huge supporter of his from Day One, but I realize that everyone else hasn't felt that way. But now that people have seen what an incredible recruiter he is, and how he should have been in a bowl game last season if he didn't lose every QB on the roster, it seemed like most people were beginning to see what I saw in him from Day One.

That being said, I don't expect much from people like Keith Olbermann, Skip Bayless, etc. They're where they are to create controversy. They over-exaggerate EVERYTHING to make a story. Honestly, I think they're the lowest of the low when it comes to calling themselves "reporters" or claiming to actually know anything about sports.

I've always said and still believe that he handled the transition that first year poorly. Based on that, and poor records his first two seasons, it's no surprise that he has not won many supporters. Personally, I'm over it and I intend to evaluate him far more based on the results he posts this season....but obviously there are some people who aren't over that first year. He certainly has achieved early results with recruiting. I still have my doubts as to whether he truly is the "good to great" guy that Anderson promised, but we'll see.

#11 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,485 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:25 PM

I guess that's part of it. I don't understand the context of his statement. He could have said it with a bit of sarcasm which I would understand in this case. The NCAA is a comedy act that just feeds this kind of satire.

I think Edsall being overly cautious make sense.

I don't know the context either, but given the nature of Olbermann's new role at ESPN, I think it may have been more tongue-in-cheek than anything. Just the whole title of "Worst Person in Sports" sets the tone for hyperbole.

#12 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:35 PM

I don't know the context either, but given the nature of Olbermann's new role at ESPN, I think it may have been more tongue-in-cheek than anything. Just the whole title of "Worst Person in Sports" sets the tone for hyperbole.

Yes, it's generally a fun segment unlike his MSNBC one where it was more serious, but even then it was sometimes in good fun depending on the day.

@levineps

#13 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:38 PM

I've always said and still believe that he handled the transition that first year poorly. Based on that, and poor records his first two seasons, it's no surprise that he has not won many supporters. Personally, I'm over it and I intend to evaluate him far more based on the results he posts this season....but obviously there are some people who aren't over that first year. He certainly has achieved early results with recruiting. I still have my doubts as to whether he truly is the "good to great" guy that Anderson promised, but we'll see.

Agreed on the transition, although Kevin Anderson handled it pretty badly as well, which indirectly impacted him IMO. The poor record of the first season is fair game. Disagree on the second season, I'm the last person to blame injuries for a bad season (it's sports) but how many could've done a better job with playing a linebacker at QB?

I don't think KA got his "good to great" guy, clearly when he talked about how Edsall wasn't his first choice in doing damage control over the hiring, he said as much. That doesn't mean Edsall can't be that guy.

@levineps

#14 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:41 PM

Comparing Keith Olbermann to Skip Bayless is a bit much. Does Olbermann like to incite sometimes sure, but there's a lot of substance there IMO. Neither is a reporter, both are personalities moreso "commentators."

People aren't going to ignore Skip Bayless as much as they should, the same people who whine about him are the same people who allow him to be making a seven-figure salary. (Not saying you are doing this)

@levineps

#15 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,935 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:10 PM

My problems with Edsall aren't with the poor records his first two seasons and much moreso with each and every time he opened his stupid mouth in that first year and during the transition.  You can take over a program without badmouthing what came before you, especially when the team was pretty good right before you showed up.

I'll evaluate him as a coach separately, and the assistants he's brought in and the job they've done in recruiting is certainly encouraging.  But I'll be very surprised if I ever actually like him or feel glad for him for any successes he has while here (aside from, of course, being happy when the team wins and does well).

#16 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:36 PM

I can't stand Edsall, but this coming from Olbermann is about the last person I want to hear it from.

#17 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:56 AM

My problems with Edsall aren't with the poor records his first two seasons and much moreso with each and every time he opened his stupid mouth in that first year and during the transition.  You can take over a program without badmouthing what came before you, especially when the team was pretty good right before you showed up.

I'll evaluate him as a coach separately, and the assistants he's brought in and the job they've done in recruiting is certainly encouraging.  But I'll be very surprised if I ever actually like him or feel glad for him for any successes he has while here (aside from, of course, being happy when the team wins and does well).

Out of curiosity, what exactly did he say that you took so much offense to?

Like Zack, I have liked the Edsall hire from day one.  I think a lot of the "stupid stuff" he said in that first year was really, really overblown.  But some folks whose opinions I value very highly think otherwise.

#18 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:14 AM

Worst Edsall: Randy or Ford?

@DJ_McCann

#19 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:55 AM

I thought Girardi or Brady were in the running for that title?

Edsall is a non entity.

#20 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,935 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:13 PM

Out of curiosity, what exactly did he say that you took so much offense to?

Like Zack, I have liked the Edsall hire from day one.  I think a lot of the "stupid stuff" he said in that first year was really, really overblown.  But some folks whose opinions I value very highly think otherwise.

The bashing of Friedgen and the way he ran things really irked me.  I don't remember the exact quotes without looking them up, but he seemingly took every opportunity to throw Friedgen under hte bus and say how awful things were when he got here.  Fridge didn't have a great last few seasons, but his final year was perfectly acceptable and the team was in far from terrible shape.  He refused to take any accountability for how the first bad year was goin.

He also even went after Fridge's wife, poking fun at her for the type of team functions she used to organize.  Saying something like they didn't need to do that sort of Pop Warner crap.

I just really hated everything he said or did that first year.  Really rubbed me the wrong way.  And because of it, I can't imagine ever liking him, even if I do like the things he and his staff do recruiting-wise or if we do happen to finally actually start playing good football and I like the product on the field.

• PD24 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=