• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,286 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:49 AM

I mentioned this in the Game Recap yesterday, but goes here as well.

The Terrapins have to feel good about how they’ve played these first two weeks, as they now begin to prepare to travel North to face Connecticut next Saturday, and take on West Virginia at M&T Bank here in Baltimore on the 21st.

With the Huskies having lost to TU in their opener, there are going to be some MD fans who discount UConn as a threat to MD. It should be remembered that the Huskies did beat MD last year, will still be out for ‘revenge’ vs. Coach Edsall, that the American Athletic is a ‘major’ conference – and lastly that UConn wil have not played since the 8/29 loss to the Tigers. They will be motivated to look better. That said, I feel good about the Terps having a great opportunity to improve to 3-0.

CJ Brown: 34 for 45, 556 yards, 5 TD's, 135 rushing yards, 4 TD's

Brandon Ross: 28 rushes, 170 yards, 1 TD
Albert Reid: 16 rushes, 101 yards, 1 TD
J. Veii: 18 rushes, 96 yards
Stefon Diggs: 11 receptions, 277 yards, 2 TD's
Deon Long: 12 receptions, 134 yards, 1 TD
Nigel King: 3 receptions, 52 yards, 1 TD
Levern Jacobs: 3 receptions, 48 yards
Dave Steinbaugh, 4 receptions, 44 yards
Craddock: 4 for 4 FG's
Interceptions: McDougle, Davis, Goins, Ngakoue each have 1
Sacks: Whitfield 2.5, Monroe 1.5, Cudjoe-Virgil 1.5, Goree 1, Kilgo 1, Braglio 1, Jefferson .5

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,286 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:53 AM

Here was an SB Nation preview on UConn prior to the Towson loss:

http://www.sbnation....-roster-preview

#3 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,517 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:01 AM

I don't want to take them too lightly, but MD should really win easily, IMO. I'll go 37-17 MD.

#4 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:56 AM

Knock on wood but it would be nice to be 3-0 going into the WV game.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#5 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,486 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:05 PM

CB Jeremiah Johnson is out 7-8 weeks with a fractured toe. Almost seems more worthwhile to let him sit the whole season if you are confident he can qualify for a medical redshirt.

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,286 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:40 PM

CB Jeremiah Johnson is out 7-8 weeks with a fractured toe. Almost seems more worthwhile to let him sit the whole season if you are confident he can qualify for a medical redshirt.

Yep, tough decision there... but I tend to agree with you.

This is a pretty important game for MD.  Anecdotally, I can tell that the results of the first two weeks have helped MD get a bit of attention locally. If the buzz locally before the season was a 0, now it is 2.5.

Being 3-0, going into the game at M&T vs. WVU would help ratchet thing up another notch.

#7 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:39 PM

Official Game Notes: https://www.nmnathle...DB_OEM_ID=29700

@BSLZackKiesel

#8 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:09 PM

Yep, tough decision there... but I tend to agree with you.

This is a pretty important game for MD.  Anecdotally, I can tell that the results of the first two weeks have helped MD get a bit of attention locally. If the buzz locally before the season was a 0, now it is 2.5.

Being 3-0, going into the game at M&T vs. WVU would help ratchet thing up another notch.

The "preseason" is over so to speak, every game from here on out is important I'd say. I think they should beat a team that lost to Towson. Interesting looking at UConn's schedule, they have Michigan at home next. I take it was a 2-for-1? I can't believe Michigan agree to go to Hartford. Maryland has to move these kinds of OOC games to bigger venues and their football stadium seats even less.

@levineps

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,286 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:38 AM

The UConn Blog: Randy Edsall Hate Week
http://www.theuconnb...dsall-hate-week

#10 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:34 AM

The UConn Blog: Randy Edsall Hate Week
http://www.theuconnb...dsall-hate-week

Not surprised by this. I think they have every right to "hate" Edsall because of the way he left. But I don't think Edsall is on the hot seat, as this article would implicate. I don't think Kevin Anderson is going to make a change before his contract is up, and I think they (KA and President Loh) believe (as do I) that he's pushing this program in the right direction. Recruiting has gotten better every year, the records look to be improved each year, and Edsall is getting more fans every year.

His first year was a bad one from most standpoints, I'll give you that. Players leaving happens anytime a new head coach comes in, and Friedgen's coaching style was very different from Edsall's. People like to claim that the team was "very good" when Edsall came in, but the reality is that Friedgen only had that one good season when he was forced to use his own recruits, and not Vanderlinden's. 

But Edsall's second year was miles better. They found better recruits (Diggs, Brown, Madaras, etc.) and if not for a crazy number of injuries would have made it into a bowl game. Remember, they were 4-2 (2-0 ACC) after the UVA game (Perry Hills' last full game at QB). Plus he locked up commitments from the likes of Yannick Ngakoue, Derwin Gray, Shane Cockerille, etc. 

You have to understand that Edsall, while he may not be the most personable guy, really does love this University. He puts academics first in every respect, but also is able to put together a good team. He's finally got his players in, and you're seeing what he can do with them. The recruiting class for 2014 looks to be even better than last season's, and I'm sure the 2015 class will be even better than that. Mike Locksley and Brian Stewart are very talented coordinators, and it looks like they're here to stay. That defense looks great, despite losing 5 of their starting front 7. Terps fans don't have to like Edsall as much as I do, but you have to understand how much he truly cares, and how much he can do with this team.

• Adam Wolff likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#11 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:01 AM

Not surprised by this. I think they have every right to "hate" Edsall because of the way he left. But I don't think Edsall is on the hot seat, as this article would implicate. I don't think Kevin Anderson is going to make a change before his contract is up, and I think they (KA and President Loh) believe (as do I) that he's pushing this program in the right direction. Recruiting has gotten better every year, the records look to be improved each year, and Edsall is getting more fans every year.

His first year was a bad one from most standpoints, I'll give you that. Players leaving happens anytime a new head coach comes in, and Friedgen's coaching style was very different from Edsall's. People like to claim that the team was "very good" when Edsall came in, but the reality is that Friedgen only had that one good season when he was forced to use his own recruits, and not Vanderlinden's. 

But Edsall's second year was miles better. They found better recruits (Diggs, Brown, Madaras, etc.) and if not for a crazy number of injuries would have made it into a bowl game. Remember, they were 4-2 (2-0 ACC) after the UVA game (Perry Hills' last full game at QB). Plus he locked up commitments from the likes of Yannick Ngakoue, Derwin Gray, Shane Cockerille, etc. 

You have to understand that Edsall, while he may not be the most personable guy, really does love this University. He puts academics first in every respect, but also is able to put together a good team. He's finally got his players in, and you're seeing what he can do with them. The recruiting class for 2014 looks to be even better than last season's, and I'm sure the 2015 class will be even better than that. Mike Locksley and Brian Stewart are very talented coordinators, and it looks like they're here to stay. That defense looks great, despite losing 5 of their starting front 7. Terps fans don't have to like Edsall as much as I do, but you have to understand how much he truly cares, and how much he can do with this team.

Agree with you re:the way Edsall left UConn, not exactly a lot of class there.

I don't think he's on the hot seat per se, but with the move to the Big 10, I do think it adds some pressure this year to get things clearly in the right direction. Not sure how much you can make from two games against clearly inferior opponents. UConn really isn't too good either, although they lost to them last year. I think their first real test against WVU.

Friegen's last season was really good, got him ACC COY honors -- no one would've blamed Maryland had they fired him in the wake of a 2-10 season, it was just cost prohibitive. Edsall's first year, probably would've been better at Fridge been retain but I can't really say that with any certainty. I think Maryland was thinking long-term when they decided to can him.

One thing I will say is if Locksley and Stewart get better offers, that's a good thing, it shows how good of a job they are doing. Not that I want them to take them.

I think it's going to be hard to find a more passionate Edsall fan outside of his family than Zack, so even if they do very well, I'm not expecting everyone to love him personality-wise, not that that will really matter.

@levineps

#12 mdak06

mdak06
  • Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationBethany Beach, DE

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:48 PM

The Maryland offense is going to be hard to stop. There are simply a lot of weapons available, both in the running and the passing game. If the offensive line gets better as the season goes on and they survive the stronger tests they'll face, then this team will be a lot of fun to watch for the rest of the season.

I don't want to take them too lightly, but MD should really win easily, IMO. I'll go 37-17 MD.

That's basically my thought - I think UConn will be a tougher test than either FIU or ODU, but it really wouldn't surprise me if the Terps score 40 again.

The "if you're confident he can qualify for a medical redshirt" is key. If you're medically ready to come back with four weeks left, I would presume they'd be less likely to grant a medical redshirt. But I dunno.

If he's ready by the Clemson game, though, I want him in. The Terps would really benefit from having him available to go against Boyd & Watkins & the rest of their crew.

#13 mdak06

mdak06
  • Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationBethany Beach, DE

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:50 PM

As far as the UConn fans go, I expect nothing but tons of hate for Edsall and Maryland, and booing for as long as they have a voice while the Terps offense is on the field.

I guess that means the offense should score points quickly. :cool:

But yeah ... I'm generally an Edsall fan but the way he left UConn left a LOT to be desired.

#14 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:01 PM

As far as the UConn fans go, I expect nothing but tons of hate for Edsall and Maryland, and booing for as long as they have a voice while the Terps offense is on the field.

I guess that means the offense should score points quickly. :cool:

But yeah ... I'm generally an Edsall fan but the way he left UConn left a LOT to be desired.

According to UConn football writer John Silver (who I interviewed for our game preview on Thursday), he expects polite applause and little booing. He seems to believe that the majority of UConn fans respect Edsall, because they haven't done anything without him. He was their only successful head coach. I suppose we'll see.

@BSLZackKiesel

#15 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,286 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:41 PM

Testudo Times: MD football Tuesday press conference
http://www.testudoti...ress-conference

#16 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,486 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:54 PM

If he's ready by the Clemson game, though, I want him in. The Terps would really benefit from having him available to go against Boyd & Watkins & the rest of their crew.

Unless the 7-8 weeks is a very conservative estimate, I'd say the Clemson game is definitely out of the question. Since it is a foot injury, I think there are plenty of legitimate reasons for not putting him on the field only for those last 2-3 games. Just getting his conditioning back alone would probably take a couple weeks. Of course if they make a bowl game, leaving him out then probably becomes another matter.

#17 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,286 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:43 AM

The UConn Blog: Film Breakdown: UConn offense vs. MD defense
http://www.theuconnb...aryland-defense

#18 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,286 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:57 AM

Washington Post: MD O-Line more confident, comfortable since loss to UConn last year
http://www.washingto...ss-last-season/

#19 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,286 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:18 AM

I'm a little surprised by the Edsall discussion in the other thread. All that I think that really illustrates is what a lot of said all off-season... MD needs to put wins on the board this year.

I'm looking forward to this game tonight, and hope all those who have commented in that thread will join for the Game Thread.

#20 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,517 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:37 AM

I'm a little surprised by the Edsall discussion in the other thread. All that I think that really illustrates is what a lot of said all off-season... MD needs to put wins on the board this year.

I'm looking forward to this game tonight, and hope all those who have commented in that thread will join for the Game Thread.

I'll certainly be there tonight, looking forward to it.

What are you surprised about, how many opinions there were, or the general narrative/back and forth around his "likability"?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=