HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:18 PM

CBS Sports: Pac-12 commish Larry Scott wants change to NBA age-limit rule

http://www.cbssports...a-agelimit-rule

The NCAA has no real power of this, but I'd like to see the NBA impose three-year minimum, similar to baseball. I'd be fine with two years as a compromise. I would also allow anyone to go straight to the pros (be it the NBA or D-League). I'm sure Kevin Durant enjoyed his year at Texas, among others, but it was really unnecessary. It would've just been unfair if LeBron had gone to college.

@levineps

#2 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:46 PM

As a fan of CBB, I prefer the baseball rule as well.

The idea that these guys can't go straight from HS is a joke.

#3 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,480 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:57 PM

The baseball rule is a poor one imo. I don't like any rule that restricts these guys rights to go pro, especially when a major reason to do so is just to benefit from them monetarily.

#4 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:19 PM

The baseball rule is a poor one imo. I don't like any rule that restricts these guys rights to go pro, especially when a major reason to do so is just to benefit from them monetarily.

Yea...at the end of the day, the fairest rule is to let them go whenever they want.

#5 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:53 PM

What about the NFL, you must wait three years. Should someone like Clowney who is clearly good enough for the pros right now be able to declare right away?

One thing I'll add about the baseball rule is you can avoid it by going to JUCO or even transferring after your freshman year.

@levineps

#6 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:44 PM

What about the NFL, you must wait three years. Should someone like Clowney who is clearly good enough for the pros right now be able to declare right away?

One thing I'll add about the baseball rule is you can avoid it by going to JUCO or even transferring after your freshman year.

Nfl is different because of the physicality of the sport.

#7 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,480 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:11 PM

Yes, Clowney should be in the league now.

Top RB's really get screwed with how short their careers are.

#8 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:25 PM

The thing is I agree with Rob in terms of the physicality, I think it could possibly go down to two years instead of three though. And yes, Clowney should be in now. I don't think you can say we make an exception for Clowney but not others though.

@levineps

#9 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,480 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:16 AM

The thing is I agree with Rob in terms of the physicality, I think it could possibly go down to two years instead of three though. And yes, Clowney should be in now. I don't think you can say we make an exception for Clowney but not others though.

For some guys I agree, but there are some players that can definitely play earlier.

#10 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:26 AM

For some guys I agree, but there are some players that can definitely play earlier.

Sure but most can't and you can't make a rule for a select few.

#11 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,480 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:39 AM

Sure but most can't and you can't make a rule for a select few.

How is after their junior year the magic point where they are ready?

And I haven't said anything about making a rule for a select few. But not many would be able to take advantage of the rule change.

#12 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:18 AM

How is after their junior year the magic point where they are ready?And I haven't said anything about making a rule for a select few. But not many would be able to take advantage of the rule change.

Well, it's 3 years removed from high school....and, my guess is studies have been done where there is a big difference in your body, physically, with that extra year.

#13 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,480 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:19 AM

How is after their junior year the magic point where they are ready?And I haven't said anything about making a rule for a select few. But not many would be able to take advantage of the rule change.

Well, it's 3 years removed from high school....and, my guess is studies have been done where there is a big difference in your body, physically, with that extra year.

I highly doubt studies have much, if anything to do with this rule.

#14 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:29 AM

Nfl is different because of the physicality of the sport.

Not really.

If the NFL doesn't think the guys are ready, they shouldn't draft them. Or they should take the responsibility of sitting on these guys for two or three years and letting them develop. Or they should build their own minor-league system.

That's actually why the rule will never change: the colleges don't want it, and even if the NFL front-offices wish the occasional Clowney could just leave when ready, they don't want either the responsibility or the expense of developing these guys. They want the colleges to do it.

Just look at the reason the NBA has the rule in the first place. It was framed as "helping" the sport of college basketball (because they NEED a lot of help), but if the NBA really wanted the increased risk of those high-school guys they would have kept the rule as-is.

It sucks for the players, who should get to go when they want, but until something fundamental changes within college athletics you won't see a significant change.

@DJ_McCann

#15 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:30 AM

Not really.

If the NFL doesn't think the guys are ready, they shouldn't draft them. Or they should take the responsibility of sitting on these guys for two or three years and letting them develop. Or they should build their own minor-league system.

That's actually why the rule will never change: the colleges don't want it, and even if the NFL front-offices wish the occasional Clowney could just leave when ready, they don't want either the responsibility or the expense of developing these guys. They want the colleges to do it.

Just look at the reason the NBA has the rule in the first place. It was framed as "helping" the sport of college basketball (because they NEED a lot of help), but if the NBA really wanted the increased risk of those high-school guys they would have kept the rule as-is.

It sucks for the players, who should get to go when they want, but until something fundamental changes within college athletics you won't see a significant change.

The NCAA has no say over the rules the pros want.

#16 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:39 AM

The NCAA has no say over the rules the pros want.

However, the current system in place offers a no-cost minor-league system for the professional leagues (even baseball and hockey and soccer, to a certain extent).

If that were to change, the pro leagues would have to change, too. But that isn't going to happen anytime soon, and probably not later, either.

@DJ_McCann

#17 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:32 PM

ESPNMark Cuban: NCAA is 'hypocritical'

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban believes it's in the best interests of elite prospects to play in the NBA Development League instead of spending one season in college.

"I think what will end up happening -- and this is my opinion, not that of the league -- is if the colleges don't change from the one-and-done, we'll go after the one," Cuban said. "The NCAA rules are so hypocritical, there's absolutely no reason for a kid to go [to college], because he's not going to class [and] he's actually not even able to take advantage of all the fun because the first semester he starts playing basketball. So if the goal is just to graduate to the NBA or be an NBA player, go to the D-League."

@levineps

#18 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:56 PM

ESPNLarry Brown champions college path

SMU coach Larry Brown, a Hall of Famer with 1,198 wins and a championship in the NBA, strongly disagreed with Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban's suggestion that elite prospects would be better prepared by playing in the D-League instead of spending one season in college.

"I admire him and I think he's one of the bright guys we have in our profession, but that was the worst thing I heard," Brown said during an appearance on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas.

"They don't teach guys how to play, in my mind," Brown said of the D-League. "The head coaches in the NBA and a lot of the assistants do, but [college basketball] is the greatest minor league system in the world. If you didn't go to one class and just live in a college environment, then you're way ahead. And I think most coaches are responsible enough to make them go to class, make them go to study hall, give them life lessons.

@levineps

#19 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:08 PM

CBS SportsBilly Donovan wants the NBA age-limit lowered, not raised

Florida Gators coach Billy Donovan said this week that not only does he think the NBA age limit shouldn't be raised, he believes it should be erased. His reasoning? Colleges are assuming the risks of players who are under pressure from NBA agents and hangers-on, compromising the program and he'd rather have players who aren't forced to, but choose to play college basketball.

@levineps

#20 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:36 AM

CBS SportsBob Knight: NBA has 'raped' college basketball

Legendary head coach Bob Knight is one of them, and he says he wouldn't draft a 19 or 20-year old.

"If I were involved with the NBA I wouldn't want a 19-year-old or a 20-year-old kid, to bring into all the travel and all the problems that exist in the NBA," Knight said on Mike and Mike Tuesday morning. "I would want a much more mature kid. I would want a kid that maybe I've been watching on another team and now he's 21, 22 years old instead of 18 or 19, and I might trade for that kid."

Doubt it.

"On top of it all, the NBA does a tremendous, gigantic disservice to college basketball. It's as though they've raped college basketball in my opinion," Knight said. "Major League Baseball has the best idea of all. Three years before they'll take a kid out of college, then they have a minor league system that they put the kids in. I'm sure that if the NBA followed the same thing, there would be a lot of kids in a minor league system that still were not good enough to play in the major NBA."

I get his point but he could probably use another word besides "rape."

@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=