• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:46 AM

Brian Phillips of Grantland with a review of one the more interesting teams in the NBA:
http://www.grantland...7353823/thunder

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:05 AM

I was happy for OKC that they were able to extend Westbrook. Those two should be able to do great things these next 5 years.

#3 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:22 PM

They're both great players, but may not be a great fit together long-term. Plus, that team can really use another scorer with Perkins and Ibaka both being liabilities in that regard.

#4 Brobey

Brobey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 561 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:29 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if they let Ibaka walk when his contract is up...I really think they need to lock up Harden moreso than Ibaka, as you said, it's difficult to win with 2 offensive liabilities on the court in Ibaka and Perkins.
@brobey1

#5 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:36 PM

They got him under control for next year and then he'll be restricted the year after that. It may be difficult for them to keep Harden given how much Durant, Westbrook, and Perkins cost, but yes, keeping him is key.

#6 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:03 PM

They became the first team in NBA history to have a player score 50, 1 score 40 and another have a triple double.

Unreal...question is, can they beat Miami in a 7 game series?

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:35 PM

They became the first team in NBA history to have a player score 50, 1 score 40 and another have a triple double.

With Harden and Ibaka, I like their 4 vs. Miami's 3. (If they were to face off... I still think Chicago, and maybe NY could get past Miami in the East.)

#8 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:47 PM

With Harden and Ibaka, I like their 4 vs. Miami's 3. (If they were to face off... I still think Chicago, and maybe NY could get past Miami in the East.)

I don't think Ibaka is really worthy of making it a 4 vs 3 situation. He's a great shot blocker and a good rebounder that has a very limited offensive game. The Heat's top 3 is better than OKC's, and they have much better scoring options from the rest of their roster as Chalmers, Miller, Cole, Haslem, Jones, and Battier are better scorers than Ibaka, Perkins, Thabo, Cook, Collison, and Maynor.

OKC does have good defense and rebounding from their bigs, but Bosh, Anthony, and Haslem are solid in that regard as well and MIA has the much better D at the 3 and 2.

#9 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:50 PM

I LOVE watching this team, last night's game vs. Denver was terrific to watch. It was a bit concerning that the Nuggets were without three starters and scored 118 points, but still, watching OKC's offense is a pleasure.

Can they beat Miami in a 7 game series? Probably not, but I don't think anyone can right now.
@beginthebegin71

#10 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:22 PM

This is a very interesting team and I love watching them play.

Interesting because of how they will continue to shape their team long-term. I disagree with MWEB in that they need another scoring option. Russ and Durant are 2 of the top scorers in the NBA, Harden would be a very good #2 option on a team without 2 superstars, and Ibaka is killer with the 16 footer.

Perkins is a great fit for them because I don't really think they need a C that is going to demand the ball. Thabo is a great ace to have up their sleeves on D.

As far as Ibaka long-term, I think they will have to let him walk. He'll get the spotlight of playing deep into the playoffs on a top 3 team in the NBA this year and next, and that will inflate his market. While I think Harden could go and become a star on another team, I think Ibaka is more of a system guy, so it will be a matter of him wanting to stay where he's comfortable or take more money from a lesser team. He'll probably go for the money..

So cool to see how Presti has built that team though. Durant is also such a good, humble guy which makes them very easy to root for. I also think some people may not realize how good the duo is since they kind of became superstars together with one team without the flashiness.
@PeterDiLutis

#11 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:30 PM

I feel bad for the Basketball fans in Seattle.

That was a Sonics town first and foremost.
@beginthebegin71

#12 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:39 PM

Yeah, lots of people forget about this.

Although I will say, while Seattle deserves a NBA team, so does OKC. They have absolutely the best fans in today's NBA.
@PeterDiLutis

#13 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:02 PM

Interesting because of how they will continue to shape their team long-term. I disagree with MWEB in that they need another scoring option. Russ and Durant are 2 of the top scorers in the NBA, Harden would be a very good #2 option on a team without 2 superstars, and Ibaka is killer with the 16 footer.

Perkins is a great fit for them because I don't really think they need a C that is going to demand the ball. Thabo is a great ace to have up their sleeves on D.

As far as Ibaka long-term, I think they will have to let him walk. He'll get the spotlight of playing deep into the playoffs on a top 3 team in the NBA this year and next, and that will inflate his market. While I think Harden could go and become a star on another team, I think Ibaka is more of a system guy, so it will be a matter of him wanting to stay where he's comfortable or take more money from a lesser team. He'll probably go for the money..

So cool to see how Presti has built that team though. Durant is also such a good, humble guy which makes them very easy to root for. I also think some people may not realize how good the duo is since they kind of became superstars together with one team without the flashiness.

Ibaka had a .414 eFG% on jump shots last year totaling 3.5 points.

So far this year, he's shooting 40% on 16-23 footers, making .9 shots a game. If you are thinking well that shows too many longer shots, well ok, lets look at 10-15 footers. 28.6% making .2 shots a game. Previous years stats don't suggest this to be a fluke.

And most of those shots are hardly contested, if at all. He is far from killer on 16 footers and is a guy that teams do not have to pay much attention to him.

Yes, they have two of the best scorers in the NBA and another good scorer in Harden, but that's basically it on offense. It would be nice to have more than 2-3 legit scoring options on the court and it would be nice to have one guy who is a good post player.

#14 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:22 PM

Ibaka had a .414 eFG% on jump shots last year totaling 3.5 points.

So far this year, he's shooting 40% on 16-23 footers, making .9 shots a game. If you are thinking well that shows too many longer shots, well ok, lets look at 10-15 footers. 28.6% making .2 shots a game. Previous years stats don't suggest this to be a fluke.

And most of those shots are hardly contested, if at all. He is far from killer on 16 footers and is a guy that teams do not have to pay much attention to him.

Yes, they have two of the best scorers in the NBA and another good scorer in Harden, but that's basically it on offense. It would be nice to have more than 2-3 legit scoring options on the court and it would be nice to have one guy who is a good post player.

Well, whenever I bet the Thunder, Ibaka knocks down his open jumpers for me :) But thanks for those stats, your point is well taken.

Now, I'm going to throw out a trade proposal that I've been bantering on about for the past few months. Tell me why this wouldn't work for both teams...

Harden, Ibaka, and 2 first round picks for Howard.
@PeterDiLutis

#15 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:04 PM

Yeah, lots of people forget about this.

Although I will say, while Seattle deserves a NBA team, so does OKC. They have absolutely the best fans in today's NBA.

I think it helps when you only have one pro sports team in what was mostly college sports territory before. Don't really follow the NBA, but agree they have some great fans.
@levineps

#16 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:50 PM

Well, whenever I bet the Thunder, Ibaka knocks down his open jumpers for me :) But thanks for those stats, your point is well taken.

Now, I'm going to throw out a trade proposal that I've been bantering on about for the past few months. Tell me why this wouldn't work for both teams...

Doesn't work under NBA rules and it would be very hard to make work. Plus, Perkins and Howard are a bad fit. And Orlando would want a better return anyway.

#17 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:31 PM

I get the sentiment about their offense, but that's kind of like saying the Bulls only had Jordan and Pippen. I think you could put 3 D League players with Westbrook and KD and you would still have a solid scoring team.

Actually, scoring wise, they're a lot like the 1996-1997 Bulls.

Jordan - 29.6 PPG
Durant - 27.7 PPG

Pippen - 20.2 PPG
Westbrook - 23.6 PPG

Kukoc - 13.2 PPG
Harden - 16.8 PPG

Not saying they're the Bulls or anything, but whenever you have 2 elite scorers and another good scorer, there's no need for much more.

@AdamWolff

#18 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:24 PM

I get the sentiment about their offense, but that's kind of like saying the Bulls only had Jordan and Pippen. I think you could put 3 D League players with Westbrook and KD and you would still have a solid scoring team.

Actually, scoring wise, they're a lot like the 1996-1997 Bulls.

Jordan - 29.6 PPG
Durant - 27.7 PPG

Pippen - 20.2 PPG
Westbrook - 23.6 PPG

Kukoc - 13.2 PPG
Harden - 16.8 PPG

Not saying they're the Bulls or anything, but whenever you have 2 elite scorers and another good scorer, there's no need for much more.

The Bulls generally had good complimentary scorers like a guard who could hit 3's and a big that could hit mid range jumpers and/or post up decently. Of course they had Rodman too. But I don't think they spent much time with two bad offensive players on the court.

#19 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:19 AM

Doesn't work under NBA rules and it would be very hard to make work. Plus, Perkins and Howard are a bad fit. And Orlando would want a better return anyway.

I think Harden would be a really good player, if not a budding star, on a lesser team as the #1 or #2 option. Do you think I'm over-rating him?
@PeterDiLutis

#20 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:20 PM

I think Harden would be a really good player, if not a budding star, on a lesser team as the #1 or #2 option. Do you think I'm over-rating him?

He could probably score a lot on a bad team. I don't think you want him as the best player on your team, though.

Regardless, as I said, the deal you suggested doesn't come close to working due to their salaries.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=