Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,634 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:25 AM

http://espn.go.com/n...cording-sources

Personally, I'd rather them wait another year to see if he can make it through a year healthy.  When he's on I love the dynamic he has with Beal and his #s last year (almost 19 and 8) are real good.

Still, I'm not sure about all the nuances of the CBA so maybe it's possible they need to do this now?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#2 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,383 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:32 AM

I'd be more worried about letting him get close to FA, where he may see another up and coming team with another young star that has salary cap space and we see a chance for a new all-star team up.

Pros and cons, but you gotta lock him up if you're ever going to build here.

@JeremyMStrain

#3 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:19 AM

So they're closer to contending (or they feel that way) I take it?

@levineps

#4 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,634 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:23 AM

So they're closer to contending (or they feel that way) I take it?

I guess.  If Porter works out as well as Wall and Beal have then they're a front court away from being a decent team.

They actually timed this pretty well, IMO.  They should be able to reach their potential ceiling sometime after the Big 3 in Miami either break up or get old.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#5 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:41 AM

Agree that they should have waited on this. Wall hasn't proven he's a max guy imo.

#6 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:39 PM

Not a max player....but I can see why the Wiz did this.

#7 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:46 PM

Not a max player....but I can see why the Wiz did this.

I disagree.  Wall is a max player with a good team.  I mean you had to see the dynamic of the team change so fast when he came back off of injury right?  He just needed some players he had one with B.B. Next year if they stay healthy I expect a pretty good turn around.

<p>I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#8 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:49 PM

Wall hasn't looked like a max player at times, mostly because he has had a bunch of shit around him. The second half of last season was really the first time he was surrounded with anything close to quality and he looked great.

I'm much more concerned about his health than his ability. And Grunfeld's overall ability to put talent around him, but that's another discussion.

@AdamWolff

#9 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:18 AM

To truly be a max player, I think you need to be a top 20 player. And I wouldn't feel good about posting the guys at the end of that list max money. Wall isn't a top 20 guy imo and he has some durability issues. He obviously has some more potential left to hopefully fulfill, though.

#10 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,383 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:16 AM

Yeah but more guys than are WORTH max contracts are going to get them because of the nature of FA. If you want to retain a guy, and he is facing FA, you gotta pay up or lose him. The MAX value on contracts will keep them from going up, there's no $200m player in the NBA, BUT the flip side is that guys not worth that contract are going to get it because more of them have a number to shoot for instead of letting the market dictate their value.

@JeremyMStrain

#11 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:13 AM

Yeah but more guys than are WORTH max contracts are going to get them because of the nature of FA. If you want to retain a guy, and he is facing FA, you gotta pay up or lose him. The MAX value on contracts will keep them from going up, there's no $200m player in the NBA, BUT the flip side is that guys not worth that contract are going to get it because more of them have a number to shoot for instead of letting the market dictate their value.

Right...especially when you are the Washington Wizards and you need that first piece to commit before you start building a championship contender. 

@PeterDiLutis

#12 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,383 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:16 AM

Right...especially when you are the Washington Wizards and you need that first piece to commit before you start building a championship contender. 

Exactly. Guys like Wall, they will come to play with him (if they get another all-star) and to keep him you gotta overpay a bit. Sucks, but what else can you do when you are a rebuilding team? You can't just let them walk, and I don't think any team gets fair value these days when trading a star player. Just gotta get someone else to take a bit less later to make it balance out.

@JeremyMStrain

#13 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:04 AM

I agree with Jeremy and Pete here, even Rob alluding to it. They kind of needed to do this, although Weber is certainly correct as well. They're banking on him being a max guy, and either way you slice it, there's certainly reason to suggest he can become that, but this deal isn't without significant risk to the Wizards, although overall I'm a proponent of the move.

#14 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:50 PM

The main point is they could have just waited to see what he does this year. It's not like in other sports where waiting can result in having to pay more. It's also unlikely that he would turn down a max contract due to how much more the Wiz can offer. And the key is that he'd only be a restricted free agent next year, meaning no one would even be able to offer what he just signed for.

#15 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:13 PM

Steve Kerr
Wow-a max deal for John Wall? I'm happy for him, but to me, Wall fits into the Curry, Holiday, Lawson 4yrs/40-45 mill range.

#16 Nevermore

Nevermore
  • Members
  • 52 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:48 PM

Where would everyone rank Wall amongst starting point guards? For me he's not even a top 10 point guard at this point.

Here's my top list in no particular order:

Rajon Rondo

Chris Paul

Tony Parker

Russell Wilson

Deron Williams

Kyrie Irving 

Ty Lawson

Stephen Curry

Derrick Rose

Mike Conley

#17 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:54 PM

Where would everyone rank Wall amongst starting point guards? For me he's not even a top 10 point guard at this point.

Rajon Rondo
Chris Paul
Tony Parker
Russell Wilson
Deron Williams
Kyrie Irving
Ty Lawson
Stephen Curry
Derrick Rose
Mike Conley

I'd put him ahead of Conley and Lawson.

#18 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,523 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:32 PM

If Wall gets that deal, Damian Lillard will be doing cartwheels down Burnside Street.

#19 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,523 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:33 PM

Rajon Rondo

Chris Paul

Tony Parker

Russell Wilson

Deron Williams

Kyrie Irving 

Ty Lawson

Stephen Curry

Derrick Rose

Mike Conley

That Russell Wilson is a busy guy, isn't he?   :wink:

#20 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:01 PM

I'd put him ahead of Conley and Lawson.

I'd add Curry to that list. No way would the Wiz trade Wall for Curry. GS would have to think about it IMO. 

@PeterDiLutis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=