• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:58 PM

Mike and Rob continued their series on the best athletes of their lifetime (1979 – ), with their focus this week on their Top 15 players from the pro sports they have not yet covered.

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:02 PM

http://baltimorespor...ars-episode-27/

#3 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:50 PM

We also talked Os at the end.

#4 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:00 PM

Pretty disappointed that I didn't make the list Rob...

#5 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:23 AM

Pretty funny Joey Chestnut joke. As far as Messi and the World Cup, it's not going to happen. The Argentina national team is in too poor a shape. But that shouldn't be a knock against him. There are 11 guys on the field and one guy can't carry a team like in basketball. Nobody knocks George Best because he didn't win one.

#6 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:47 AM

Weber is a golf hater. Shocker.  He's also wrong about it being a "rich man sport" at this point. No, you cant just walk onto a golf course and play pick up golf like you can other sports but it's pretty easy this day and age for kids to get involved in the sport. Maybe not your kids living in poverty, but lower middle class is able to go out and play golf now and put golf clubs in their kids hands to play.

BTW Tiger is clearly Top 5 on this list, probably 3rd. I'm not a fan of TIger the man, but his game is unquestioned.

#7 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:49 AM

Good point Russ.

And thanks regarding the joke, but I blew it. I was planning on listing him right after Tiger and be totally serious about it, but I forgot.

#8 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:53 AM

Weber is a golf hater. Shocker. He's also wrong about it being a "rich man sport" at this point. No, you cant just walk onto a golf course and play pick up golf like you can other sports but it's pretty easy this day and age for kids to get involved in the sport. Maybe not your kids living in poverty, but lower middle class is able to go out and play golf now and put golf clubs in their kids hands to play.

BTW Tiger is clearly Top 5 on this list, probably 3rd. I'm not a fan of TIger the man, but his game is unquestioned.

It's an upper middle class game in terms of actually being able to become pro caliber.

And Tiger is clearly top 5 if you want to value golf over other sports, our at least St the same level, but I don't since it pales in comparison in terms of athleticism. That doesn't make me a hater either, it makes me a realist.

#9 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:21 PM

It's an upper middle class game in terms of actually being able to become pro caliber.

And Tiger is clearly top 5 if you want to value golf over other sports, our at least St the same level, but I don't since it pales in comparison in terms of athleticism. That doesn't make me a hater either, it makes me a realist.

Now that is funny. Your opinion on golf and how "athletic" of a sport it is and how you would fairly compare that with other sports has made you a realist. Yeah.

And your wrong about golf being upper middle class and becoming a pro and all that. As I said, lower middle class kids are able to have golf clubs in there hands at a young age now. The sport is being played in HS in clear middle class areas, areas that range from some lower middle class to higher middle class. The sports has really been opened up to new people over the last 15-20 years. Public courses have really sprouted up in general and many of those public courses allow you to come out and use putting greens and chipping greens for free. Its not really that hard to ask someone to go out and play a few holes at the end of the day anymore. Its just not the "money" sport so many people perceive it to be anymore.

#10 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:32 PM

It's more of a money sport than almost all the other common sports.

#11 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:01 PM

It's more of a money sport than almost all the other common sports.

True, but you are/were off in your perception of the sport. Youre just wrong saying kids have to come from money to play enough and get the proper training to become a pro.

#12 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:30 PM

Pretty disappointed that I didn't make the list Rob...

I lumped you together with a few other guys..the name was Stance FlaquintJohinker. You all just missed out.

#13 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,098 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:24 PM

Bnickle true or false colleges give out more scholarships to baseball,football,basketball,soccer, and even gymnastics then golf?

Mweb the only thing I would disagree with you is Nascar is the most expensive sport to get into due to sponsorship having to drive your own car at the lower levels and building up.  Your family has to have some money for you even to get involved.

<p>I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#14 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:23 AM

True, but you are/were off in your perception of the sport. Youre just wrong saying kids have to come from money to play enough and get the proper training to become a pro.

I think by and large, I am correct. To play golf frequently from a young age costs a lot of money. That's pretty clear.

And in relation to Tiger's main competition, which is the main point here, even you apparently don't think I'm wrong since you think golf has changed for the better after the childhood of he and his primary competitors throughout his prime.

#15 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:27 AM

Bnickle true or false colleges give out more scholarships to baseball,football,basketball,soccer, and even gymnastics then golf?

Mweb the only thing I would disagree with you is Nascar is the most expensive sport to get into due to sponsorship having to drive your own car at the lower levels and building up. Your family has to have some money for you even to get involved.

I totally agree with that. I just don't really consider that a sport. Even though what they do at least equals walking a golf course, which was a point Rob made in favor of golf's athleticism level.

BTW, snowboarding costs plenty of money too.

That wasn't really a factor in my rankings, I was just responding to Rob's point.

#16 KWebz

KWebz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 722 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:29 AM

To play golf at any age costs more money than just heading to the public park to play. Just saying.

#17 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:51 AM

There are still many more people playing golf, despite the cost...especially worldwide.

#18 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:20 AM

Golf has become a middle class sport in America. Sure, there are still exclusive courses all over the country that are really privleaged and cost money. But as I said, a ton of municipal and public courses have popped up in the last 20 years or so. Those are the courses where the middle class is able to practice and play comfortably. The bottom line is, 20-25 years ago you'd never see a golf club in an average middle America kids hand.

No, you still dont see the sport in poverty stricken areas. It's not a staple, like  basketball, in your inner city youth. But just because it's not a "pick up sport" like basketball is here or baseball is in Latin America that young kids can play for nothing doesn't mean its a sport where you have to have money to have any chance of playing professionally.

And in other countries, like Ireland and South Africa, they have youth academys and schools where kids are training all the time.

#19 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:19 AM

Golf is a middle class sport in terms of playing it occasionally. The distinction that I've been trying to make is that it is not a middle class sport in terms of parents being able to afford to have children from a young age up through high school play it enough to have a realistic chance at becoming a pro. A family of 4 with an income of less than 100 grand would have to go through great sacrifices to make that happen. Forget about the lower middle class family making around 50k.

#20 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:13 PM

Golf is a middle class sport in terms of playing it occasionally. The distinction that I've been trying to make is that it is not a middle class sport in terms of parents being able to afford to have children from a young age up through high school play it enough to have a realistic chance at becoming a pro. A family of 4 with an income of less than 100 grand would have to go through great sacrifices to make that happen. Forget about the lower middle class family making around 50k.

And like many of the other sports, the kids are playing at a young enough age that if they are talented they will be discovered and be able to play at college or will be found and offered a chance to hook up with better and better training.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=