45 replies to this topic

#41 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:04 PM

Someone mentioned Cliff Huxtable - I'd put Claire Huxtable in there as well.  She kind of became the iconic working mom, who still managed to maintain total order in the household.  She was kind of a symbol of change for the way women contributed to society not just in the house but in the workplace.

I mentioned in my earlier post about the Cleaver family all being icons, and I really think it's true.

Ward Cleaver, the stern but loving father who provides for his family and always wants what's best for his kids

June Cleaver, the professional mom who runs the house and acts as a buffer between the kids and dad when needed

Wally Cleaver, the older brother who loves his kid brother but isn't unwilling to pick on him at times as well

And Beaver, the mischievous younger brother who has a heart of gold but can't always keep himself from getting in trouble

So many future TV characters based off of that cast.

Rob, I tried to pick a top 5 and quickly gave up.  Just too many to choose from.

The Beaver turned 65 years old June the 2nd!

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#42 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,380 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:23 PM

I think all the guys from the Office, the guys from shows like Mad Men and Breaking Bad, etc...they were all great characters...But I wouldn't call them iconic.

For example, I don't watch Mad Men...I had to look up who Don Draper was.  I think a lot of people would be that way.

But if you said, Tony soprano, everyone would know who that is.

In other words, you don't have to watch the show(or didn't have to) to know who they are, to have heard of them, etc...

The Office was extremely popular, though and helped launch a big career for the lead actor.

#43 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:25 PM

The Office was extremely popular, though and helped launch a big career for the lead actor.

It was never THAT popular.

How many people do you think you could walk up to on the street and they would know who Michael Scott is?

@DJ_McCann

#44 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,380 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:28 PM

Soprano might be one guy that crosses that line, but most people, if you haven't watched the show, aren't going to know who most characters are.  There are very few characters who are known even to most people who don't watch the show.  Especially very recent or currently airing shows.  When you get into older shows, you can know about a character better without having to watch, since people talk about it over years and years and there are other references to a character in other shows and movies.  I couldn't tell you one character from Desperate Housewives or Sons of Anarchy or Big Bang Theory, but that doesn't mean the characters are definitely not iconic.  They just weren't / aren't shows I watch even if a lot of other people do.

Yeah, and I'm not sure if it's really that important for people who haven't seen the show to be somewhat aware of the character. It's not like they are going to know much about the character if they haven't watched the show.

I think if how well known and watched the character is/was is a big part of the criteria, then you're right that the older shows have a huge advantage. And as for Tony Soprano, even though that show was extremely popular for HBO, it didn't come close to the heights of popularity of older network shows.

#45 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,380 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:29 PM

It was never THAT popular.

How many people do you think you could walk up to on the street and they would know who Michael Scott is?

I think more people watched the Office than the Sopranos, even though that's just a guess.

Turns out I'm wrong, but it was close and The Office probably gets more new viewers in terms of being on TBS.

#46 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:09 PM

@BryanCranston

I'm saddened by James Gandolfini's passing. He was a great talent & I owe him. Quite simply, without Tony Soprano there is no Walter White.
10:19 AM - 20 Jun 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=