• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,000 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:59 AM

After blowing out Wake Forest in the opening round of the Atlantic Coast Conference Tournament, the University of Maryland has earned the opportunity to face the #1 seed North Carolina. The Tar Heels (27-4, 14-2), are currently ranked 4th Nationally, and seem likely to obtain a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament Sunday night.

The Terrapins (17-14, 7-10) just want to extend their season for another day. The Terps and Heels faced off twice this year, with UNC winning both. At College Park, Maryland built a 9 point 2nd half lead, only to eventually lose 83-74. (The Terps were down 4 with 1:40 left.) At Chapel Hill, a 6 point game right after half-time, wound up being a 24 point (88-64) loss.

In the first game, UNC won on the boards 44-37. In the second game, both teams had 38.
Maryland got to the line 27 times in the first game, and 21 times in the second.
UNC got to the line 26 times in the first game, and 33 times in the second.
Maryland shot 17 3's in the first game, and 20 in the second.

To have a chance to beat UNC, you are going to have to score. With their style of play, there are opportunities to score baskets in transition. However, with Henson and Zeller; UNC has the shot-blocking trees that can recover. I think MD has to have the mentality that they are going to continue to go inside, not settle for 3's, and attempt to get the UNC bigs in foul trouble.

It is a given that Len, and Padgett have to play well. In the first game, Len had 12 pts, 9 boards, and 4 blocks. In the second game, Padgett had 13 pts, and 13 boards. You need them to combine for around 20 and 20 today.

Two Terps that have to step-up are Pankey, and Parker. Pankey has had miserable games vs. UNC this year, combining for 2 pts, 2 boards, and 8 fouls in 21 total minutes in the two games. He has to provide something positive. I'd like to see Parker get some additional minutes guarding Barnes today. He gives up a couple of inches (and pounds), but he has the athleticism to compete. Hopefully this would help keep Mosley a bit fresher, and give Mosley a better opportunity to provide some scoring. Parker played a combined 33 mts in the previous games vs. UNC, and had a total of 2 pts, and 8 boards. The up and down game of the Tar Heels really should provide additional scoring opportunities for Parker, he needs to take advantage. Parker has had moments where he has provided some scoring this yr (8 vs. Colorado, 9 vs. Notre Dame, 9 vs. NCST, 7 vs. Temple, 12 vs. Duke, 7 vs. BC), but he has scored just 11 total points in the previous 6 games combined.

The Terps played loose, and had fun yesterday. Getting off to a good start would help with that today. If you can still be in the game with 10 minutes left, UNC might start to feel some pressure, and you also might capture the crowd.

#2 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:46 PM

Trying to beat UNC at their own game is a losing proposition for MD.

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,000 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:03 PM

Trying to beat UNC at their own game is a losing proposition for MD.

This year it is tough, because MD lacks the firepower. It has worked well in recent years though.

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,000 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:12 PM

BSL: Maryland loses in ACCT; The Good, The Bad, The Ugly
http://baltimorespor...ife.com/?p=3954

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:15 PM

Just caught up on DVR on both yesterday and today's games.

Both games were essentially the Stoglin and Faust show, at least offensively. Almost nothing from the big men, especially today. Just an absolute zero from the guys inside. I didn't expect the team to win, and the game went pretty much as expected.

I really hope MD makes the NIT, or at least the CBI. I think that loss to GT will probably cost us an NIT bid, though. I would still like to see this team play a few more games. And I really hope Stoglin doesn't leave the program. He's way too good and way too important. He was fantastic today. He only took one shot that I wish he didn't, which was a driving attempt into the lane that got blocked by Zeller. He made some tough shots, missed a few open threes but made several others. He moved the ball to other guys as well, they just couldn't do anything with it.

Hopefully the new big men really help out inside and we can get better and more consistent production from Len and Padgett next year. If Stoglin stays, then I'm pretty excited about out backcourt with him and Faust and hopefully Howard staying healthy and being at least a steadying force at the point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=