EDIT: 2013 Review

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:57 PM

I went to the first game of the season vs. FIU. I was cautiously optimistic about the season going into the game. Walking out from the game, I thought they could go 8-4 if Brown and Diggs stayed healthy. If those two stay healthy and the offensive line doesn't crumble...I see an 8-4 floor and an everything-goes-right scenario where they go 10-2. They should beat Wake, BC, UVA and Syracuse. Road games at NCSU and VT could be coin flips. They'll be big dogs against FSU and Clemson. Should be interesting..........

@BSLLukeJackson

#22 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,668 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:43 PM

Maryland has impressive skill players, quick team.  Depth is an issue.  If injuries treat them kindly I think 9-3 is a real possibility.

Wonder if they get ranked this week.

@mikeghg

#23 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,364 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:46 PM

Maryland has impressive skill players, quick team.  Depth is an issue.  If injuries treat them kindly I think 9-3 is a real possibility.

Wonder if they get ranked this week.

Doubtful they get ranked. The only ranked vs. ranked game was ASU-Stanford. Very weak week for Top 25 games. Not many surprises. They'll get votes, which is more than you can say for the past few weeks.

@BSLZackKiesel

#24 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:16 PM

Terps got 24 votes in the AP poll and got 11 votes in the ESPN/USA Today poll.

Pretty much what everyone expected.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#25 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:40 PM

So they're essentially 28th and 32nd in the polls. Not bad.

@DJ_McCann

#26 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,564 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:24 PM

Not bad at all. Knocking on the door of the top 25. We have a chance, albeit it a very slim chance, at upsetting FSU. I really don't think it happens down there in Tallahassee, but it's certainly possible. This is exciting.

#27 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,364 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:05 AM

Not bad at all. Knocking on the door of the top 25. We have a chance, albeit it a very slim chance, at upsetting FSU. I really don't think it happens down there in Tallahassee, but it's certainly possible. This is exciting.

FSU is a great test for this team. I can't wait to get into the Big Ten because of the level of competition. Jameis Winston will also be the 1st mobile QB the Terps face this season. They'll have another after that in David Watford. This defense has proven it's been able to pressure pocket passers, now they'll be tested to see if they can keep up the same pressure against a mobile QB, while still containing him as much as possible. Pressure will be key throughout the season with the loss of CBs, and this defensive line has proven so far that they're up to being the strongest link in the unit.

@BSLZackKiesel

#28 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,674 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:53 AM

When I was married I had season tickets for 3 years to FSU (for her).  That place doesn't provide quite the home field advantage that you might think.  FSU always figures out a way to bungle their season.  I just hope its versus the Terps (usually its Clemson).

I like our chances.  

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

@fuzydunlop

#29 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,564 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:15 PM

ESPN: ACC Power Rankings: Week 4

http://espn.go.com/b...nkings-week-4-4

5. Maryland (4-0, 0-0; Last week: No. 7): The Terps blanked West Virginia 37-0 and are now 4-0 for the first time since 2001, the last time Maryland won the ACC and played in the Orange Bowl. They’ve got a bye week to prepare for Florida State, but have already matched their win total from last year. 

Behind Clemson, FSU, Miami and Georgia Tech; Ahead of Virginia Tech, North Carolina, NC State and Pitt. 

#30 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:17 PM

ESPN exercised a 6-day option for the ACC on Oct 5. That means the game time for Terps @ FSU won't be announced until next Saturday night at the earliest, and more likely Sunday.

#31 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,564 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:22 PM

ESPN exercised a 6-day option for the ACC on Oct 5. That means the game time for Terps @ FSU won't be announced until next Saturday night at the earliest, and more likely Sunday.

It's gotta be a prime time slot, I would imagine. Shaping up to be an enticing match-up.

#32 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:37 PM

It's gotta be a prime time slot, I would imagine. Shaping up to be an enticing match-up.

Ohio State at Northwestern is scheduled for 8pm on ABC. So that game will get the primetime billing for the week. ESPN usually has an SEC game at night too. This Thursday GA Tech plays VA Tech.....if the Yellow Jackets win, they will likely move into the Top 25. That means their matchup with Miami on Oct 5 will feature 2 ranked teams and might edge out UM/FSU as The ACC game.

My guess is the Terps will probably be a noon game on either ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU. They could also get a 3:30 regional spot on ABC....which would mean I'm screwed since it is unlikely to be shown locally out here and Minnesota/Michigan (also 3:30 on ABC) is already slotted for the reverse-mirror on ESPN2. Hopefully the Miami/GT game gets that slot.

EDIT: One other possibility still open is 3:30 on ESPNU, same slot as the WVU game was on.

#33 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:53 PM

FSU is a great test for this team. I can't wait to get into the Big Ten because of the level of competition. Jameis Winston will also be the 1st mobile QB the Terps face this season. They'll have another after that in David Watford. This defense has proven it's been able to pressure pocket passers, now they'll be tested to see if they can keep up the same pressure against a mobile QB, while still containing him as much as possible. Pressure will be key throughout the season with the loss of CBs, and this defensive line has proven so far that they're up to being the strongest link in the unit.

You sound pretty confident that they won't be overmatched in the Big 10? I'm realistic enough to know they won't be able to compete with Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska, Wisconsin on a yearly basis, but I'm hoping once in a while they can.

@levineps

#34 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:55 PM

I'd say they've gone from a bowl game being good enough to 8 wins floor, closer to 9, if everything goes their way 10. This is all pre-ACC CG/bowl game. At this point, hard to see Edsall not getting retained.

@levineps

#35 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,364 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:03 PM

You sound pretty confident that they won't be overmatched in the Big 10? I'm realistic enough to know they won't be able to compete with Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska, Wisconsin on a yearly basis, but I'm hoping once in a while they can.

Not exactly what I meant. I just meant that the level of competition is exciting to be a part of week after week. It will make this team better to be able to play high-level teams on a weekly basis instead of 2-3 times a year. FSU and Clemson are really the only big tests on this season's schedule. Once they enter the Big 10, nearly every game will be a big test. That's exciting to me.

I feel like so many people have lamented getting "manhandled" by those teams you mentioned. But I'm excited to see how they do against them. Northwestern has carved out a niche in the Big 10, no reason why the Terps can't become like that. 

@BSLZackKiesel

#36 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:06 PM

I'd say they've gone from a bowl game being good enough to 8 wins floor, closer to 9, if everything goes their way 10. This is all pre-ACC CG/bowl game. At this point, hard to see Edsall not getting retained.

Only way I could've seen Edsall getting canned was that if he went 2-10 or so again and MD was basically in a position where it was impossible NOT to fire him. That possibility is well past us. I think one of the big reasons MD settled on Edsall was that they thought he could build a program without a lot of money (like he did at UConn). We'll see how the rest of this season goes, but I'm really encouraged by their recruiting under Edsall. The Diggs commitment was a program changer. They got Long. They're in on guys like Tabor and Prince. These are the types of local five-star guys that Ralph's staff didn't lure in. Edsall's staff has. You can pin as much credit on Locksley as you want, but Edsall deserves credit too. He recognizes the importance of landing elite DC-area recruits and the importance of Baltimore, too. In fairness, Ralph's staff got a ton of recruits from the area too, but not the top-shelf guys. The other big challenge is finding those big, strong bodies necessary to compete at the line of scrimmage with the Wisconsins and Nebraskas of the world. We'll see how that goes later on.

• BSLZackKiesel likes this
@BSLLukeJackson

#37 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:37 PM

Only way I could've seen Edsall getting canned was that if he went 2-10 or so again and MD was basically in a position where it was impossible NOT to fire him. That possibility is well past us. I think one of the big reasons MD settled on Edsall was that they thought he could build a program without a lot of money (like he did at UConn). We'll see how the rest of this season goes, but I'm really encouraged by their recruiting under Edsall. The Diggs commitment was a program changer. They got Long. They're in on guys like Tabor and Prince. These are the types of local five-star guys that Ralph's staff didn't lure in. Edsall's staff has. You can pin as much credit on Locksley as you want, but Edsall deserves credit too. He recognizes the importance of landing elite DC-area recruits and the importance of Baltimore, too. In fairness, Ralph's staff got a ton of recruits from the area too, but not the top-shelf guys. The other big challenge is finding those big, strong bodies necessary to compete at the line of scrimmage with the Wisconsins and Nebraskas of the world. We'll see how that goes later on.

I seem to remember many saying that he needed to get to a bowl game to keep his job. Maybe he was keeping his job regardless. He still has three years remaining after this year on a guaranteed contract? And they might have wanted to see what he could do in the Big 10 anyways.

@levineps

#38 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:12 PM

I seem to remember many saying that he needed to get to a bowl game to keep his job. Maybe he was keeping his job regardless. He still has three years remaining after this year on a guaranteed contract? And they might have wanted to see what he could do in the Big 10 anyways.

I think MD's athletic department is in such dire financial straits that Edsall's seat probably wasn't all that hot coming into the season, if at all. As you said, he has multiple seasons left on his contract after this one. I think he was going to be on board for 2014 unless he went 2-10 again and the chatter was so loud that they basically HAD to fire him, despite the financial implications.

@BSLLukeJackson

#39 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:18 PM

How quickly things change.

#40 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:43 PM

Just wanted to give a quick review of this past season of MD football and give my impressions moving forward to 2014.

Overall, I'd rate the year as "minimally disappointing".  I thought 7-8 wins was a proper goal coming in to this year.  However, they simply let too many games get away that should have been victories.  Injuries no doubt played a part in some of that, but in some cases the team simply did not appear well-prepared.  But moving on....

Player of the Year - C.J. Brown - Honestly there is no really good candidate here.  For me this was basically a choice between Brown and Marcus Whitfield.  Ultimately I feel like Brown is the more valuable player.  He never seemed to me to fully have his explosiveness back - maybe that will come next year, or maybe with the knee injury it never comes back - but I think he proved that his arm is no longer a liability.  Looking forward to seeing what he can do in the B1G next year.

Defensive Player of the Year - Marcus Whitfield - Whitfield completed his MD career with a very solid season.  He was the Terps' most consistent pass rusher throughout the season, finishing with 9 sacks.  Again, I can't really think of another deserving candidate here.

Special Teams Player of the Year - Brad Craddock - Actually a tough choice here between Craddock and Will Likely.  Glad to see Craddock realize the potential he showed last year as a very, very raw but talented kicker.  MD is set at PK for the next 2 years.

Best Game of the Year - MD 27, VT 24 (OT) - Obviously the VT program is not near what it used to be, but MD had not even been competitive against VT in its previous matchups.  To win that game, on the road, after the stinker against Syracuse (see below), and to seal bowl eligibility, was huge.  The d-line was terrific and C.J. Brown appeared to finally have recovered from his various ailments.

Worst Game of the Year - MD 3, Syracuse 20 - Amazingly, IMO, MD found a way to have a game that was even worse than the 63-0 beating at Florida State.  I said at the time that that FSU game said more about FSU than it did MD, and I believe they justified that statement throughout the year.  But this game against Syracuse was one giant, stinking ball of crap.  I do not care what the injury situation was.  To play that poorly, at home, against a mediocre team, when you've had 2 weeks to prepare, was simply inexcusable.  I legitimately thought MD had a strong chance to lose out after this game (the only thing that cause me doubt was how bad NC State was, as I never expected MD to beat VT).

Edsall impressions - Most of you know that I've been a big Edsall backer since the hire was made.  I continue to think that he is a very good program builder who has a good eye for football talent and a good idea for how to develop that talent.  I think that is evident as you look up and down this roster, which next year will have more talent than at any point I remember since following MD football.  Having said that, I think the concerns raised about his game-day coaching ability are very legitimate.  MD always seemed slow to adjust, and played their 2 worst games of the year on weeks where they had 2 full weeks to prepare.  Moreover, they did not look very well prepared for their bowl game.  They are in a tough position with Locksley.  They need him as a recruiter but he is quite limited as a coordinator IMO.  The actual gameday coaching will have to improve if MD expects to be competitive in the B1G.

Moving forward to 2014 - As I mentioned earlier, the 2014 MD team will be very talented throughout.  The main weaknesses, unfortunately, will probably be both lines, which are of course the most important units on the field.  I do expect the O-line to be much improved, with everyone returning and the additions of Derwin Gray, Larry Maczyk and, hopefully Damian Prince.  They just had a 3-star tackle decommit, who says he will now choose between MD and Penn State (which, of course, basically means he's going to Penn State). 

The upcoming decisions of Damian Prince and Jalen Tabor will be very important.  While the 2014 recruiting class is a decent one, MD has once again let too much local talent get away.  Securing these 2 highly touted players is important not only for the on-the-field product but for the "stay at home" movement that MD is trying to create.

Would love to hear the impressions of others. 

• BSLChrisStoner, You Play to Win the Game, BSLMikeLowe and 3 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=