Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:17 PM

East is loaded.

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,291 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:22 PM

I'm starting to really look forward to '14.

Will be even more fun if MD can do some damage in '13, and go into the Big Ten with some momentum.

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

#4 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:13 PM

Going to be a fun future for the Terps in the Big Ten. So much tradition and history. Looks like a rivalry with Penn State and/or Rutgers will definitely be in the Terps' future.

@BSLZackKiesel

#5 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:32 PM

East is loaded.

That's my thoughts, I'm sure MD is happy with this alignment. They got the bigger draws for football and to a lesser extent, basketball to go with likely regional rivalries with PSU(they count as a draw as of right now) and Rutgers.

@levineps

#6 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,524 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:34 PM

Sucks for MD... other than the butt whooping, the excitement this will create on campus when these teams visit College Park will be exciting.

Do you think some of these premiere match-ups will be off-campus at FedEx or M&T? (Ohio State, Michigan, Etc.) I don't think they should be, I think that'd be very unfortunate... but they would make a lot more money at an off site location.

#7 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:03 PM

That's my thoughts, I'm sure MD is happy with this alignment. They got the bigger draws for football and to a lesser extent, basketball to go with likely regional rivalries with PSU(they count as a draw as of right now) and Rutgers.

I don't think basketball follows the divisional set-up.

#8 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:18 PM

Sucks for MD... other than the butt whooping, the excitement this will create on campus when these teams visit College Park will be exciting.

Do you think some of these premiere match-ups will be off-campus at FedEx or M&T? (Ohio State, Michigan, Etc.) I don't think they should be, I think that'd be very unfortunate... but they would make a lot more money at an off site location.

I think you can certainly make that argument. Would you rather be in the weaker division, which surely wouldn't be as marketable?

I wonder that myself. I hope they keep those games to a minimum. If Maryland wants to take football seriously thats not the way to do it. If they must take an occasional game, sure. If every game marquee ends up being away from CP, what incentive is that for people to buy tickets to the CP games while also sacrificing home-field advantage.

@levineps

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,291 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:06 PM

Big Ten East: Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers

ACC Atlantic: Florida State, Clemson, NCST, Boston College, Wake Forest

My feeling with the ACC Atlantic was that I expected MD to win the division 2-3 times every 10 years.

I think the best MD teams will have a chance to win the Big Ten East just about as often.

All that should really matter from the perspective of the MD football fan is, is the program progressing? (Facilities continue to improve, success in recruiting - particularly securing the best MD/DC/NOVA talent, is MD winning the games they should?)

If MD does their job, they can be competitive. If they win, they'll have a supportive fan-base. If they don't improve, fans will spend their money elsewhere.

The MD ticket office should be able to get more average fans interested in Michigan, Michigan State, Penn St, Ohio State etc making trips to College Park.

Hopefully the thought of playing those teams, while representing MD, will help the Maryland coaches secure all of the best local talent.

I do agree with Ricker... going to be interesting to see if any of these bigger games are moved to Fed Ex or M&T. Financially I would understand it I guess...but would be somewhat disappointing.

#10 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:39 PM

Big Ten East: Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers

ACC Atlantic: Florida State, Clemson, NCST, Boston College, Wake Forest

My feeling with the ACC Atlantic was that I expected MD to win the division 2-3 times every 10 years.

I think the best MD teams will have a chance to win the Big Ten East just about as often.

All that should really matter from the perspective of the MD football fan is, is the program progressing? (Facilities continue to improve, success in recruiting - particularly securing the best MD/DC/NOVA talent, is MD winning the games they should?)

If MD does their job, they can be competitive. If they win, they'll have a supportive fan-base. If they don't improve, fans will spend their money elsewhere.

The MD ticket office should be able to get more average fans interested in Michigan, Michigan State, Penn St, Ohio State etc making trips to College Park.

Hopefully the thought of playing those teams, while representing MD, will help the Maryland coaches secure all of the best local talent.

I do agree with Ricker... going to be interesting to see if any of these bigger games are moved to Fed Ex or M&T. Financially I would understand it I guess...but would be somewhat disappointing.

I disagree with your take that Maryland has as almost as good of a chance of winning their division in the Big 10 as the ACC. FSU was the only real consistent power, Clemson was usually good but they weren't the caliber FSU was on a year in/year out basis. I'd say both Ohio State and Michigan are tougher than FSU.  The wild-card is Penn State, pre-scandal, it would've been much tougher. I think Maryland should be better than Indiana almost every year, they could be better than Rutgers.

I do agree it will be easier selling the Big 10 especially their division, particularly Michigan, Ohio State, and again, PSU is a wild-card. Nebraska should be a decent draw as well in the years they come to town. I'm not sure how this will break down and all, but I imagine they'll be playing Ohio State in one set of years and Michigan in the other.

Also, I wholeheartedly agree with your take on moving games off-campus. I do think while it might be better in the short-run to play some of these games at NFL venues; in the long-run, potentially playing in better bowl games, playing real games where we have a better chance to win, etc might be beneficial financially speaking.

@levineps

#11 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:51 AM

I'm just glad they got rid of the Legends and Leaders nonsense.  I'd rather play every single game on the road at OSU than be in the "Leaders" division of the Big 10.

The East definitely is loaded.  Maryland's gonna have to bring their A-game to even be remotely relevant football wise.  Should be interesting.

• BSLChrisStoner and Adam Wolff like this

#12 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:56 PM

I'm just glad they got rid of the Legends and Leaders nonsense.  I'd rather play every single game on the road at OSU than be in the "Leaders" division of the Big 10.

The East definitely is loaded.  Maryland's gonna have to bring their A-game to even be remotely relevant football wise.  Should be interesting.

Haha, yeah, that was god-awful!

#13 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:08 PM

Haha, yeah, that was god-awful!

Seconded.

And have to say, it's exciting to see MD in that group. I'm hoping 10 years from now we're reflecting on how good of a decision MD made.

@AdamWolff

#14 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,524 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:11 PM

Seconded.

And have to say, it's exciting to see MD in that group. I'm hoping 10 years from now we're reflecting on how good of a decision MD made.

Monetarily, I have zero doubts this will be the case. I'd say I feel like for the basketball program this is about an 8/10 for me in terms of how good I feel about their future in the B1G... for the football program, I'm at about a 6/10. I'm starting to warm on Edsall. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=