#262 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 07:06 PM

Clippers from San Diego too

IDK... after the Baltimore Clippers, they made big ones to go get opium from China... and to take things from the East Coast to California after the gold rush... dunno if they stopped is SD though...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#263 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 13 May 2016 - 07:10 PM

IDK... after the Baltimore Clippers, they made big ones to go get opium from China... and to take things from the East Coast to California after the gold rush... dunno if they stopped is SD though...

NBA says its because of the pass through.

http://www.nba.com/c...d_the_name.html

#264 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 07:11 PM

kB0xj2I.jpg

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#265 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 13 May 2016 - 07:11 PM

In any case, San Diego has a greater naval reputation than LA and the name was a holdover.

#266 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 07:16 PM

NBA says its because of the pass through.

http://www.nba.com/c...d_the_name.html

I forgot about that...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#267 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 14 May 2016 - 01:36 AM

While Nuggets does fit for Denver, it might have been more fitting for Sacramento....I know, Denver had that name since its ABA days in the 70s, while the Kings only got to Sacramento in 1985. Just saying.

#268 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 08:57 AM

Some of the random animal names in the NBA lack creativity for how relatively new they are. Considering in older sports leagues, everyone used generic animals like Tigers, Lions, Bears.

But Bobcats. Bulls. Raptors. Hornets. Lame.

Grizzlies makes no sense for Memphis but it did for Vancouver. Bucks makes sense. T-Wolves makes sense.

Hawks I can buy as I think it was actually a shortened version of Black Hawks from when they played in Chicago way back when. Somewhere along the way, probably when they made it to Atlanta, they kept the name, but changed the meaning to the bird and not the Indian Chief.
@BSLMikeRandall

#269 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 10:34 AM

Hawks I can buy as I think it was actually a shortened version of Black Hawks from when they played in Chicago way back when. Somewhere along the way, probably when they made it to Atlanta, they kept the name, but changed the meaning to the bird and not the Indian Chief.

They were never in Chicago... rather in the Tri-Cities... Rockford, Moline and some place in Iowa...

The were the bird Hawks in both Milwaukee and St. Louis before getting to Atlanta...

#270 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 10:36 AM

Some of the random animal names in the NBA lack creativity for how relatively new they are. Considering in older sports leagues, everyone used generic animals like Tigers, Lions, Bears. But Bobcats. Bulls. Raptors. Hornets. Lame. Grizzlies makes no sense for Memphis but it did for Vancouver. Bucks makes sense. T-Wolves makes sense. Hawks I can buy as I think it was actually a shortened version of Black Hawks from when they played in Chicago way back when. Somewhere along the way, probably when they made it to Atlanta, they kept the name, but changed the meaning to the bird and not the Indian Chief.

How do you feel about the Pelicans?
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#271 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 10:40 AM

Shows how close I pay attention to the NBA that it slipped my mind that New Orleans changed to Pelicans.

Ummmmm. Its lame. Given all the diverse culture in that city, they could have been a lot more creative.
@BSLMikeRandall

#272 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 10:43 AM

NOLA's MiL baseball teams were always called the Pelicans for 100 years... until they got the AAA Zephyrs from someplace else... I'm surprised they didn't change that name to the Pelicans...

• Icterus galbula and Don Quixote like this

#273 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 14 May 2016 - 12:30 PM

I like Pelicans. It's the state bird, local sports history, they are fierce predators, and the bill pouch is unique. Do people not like the actual word Pelican? It sounds sillier than the actual animal. I don't get the stigma otherwise.

I think Bulls is cool for Chicago. The whole stockyard/ beef industry there. "The Jungle."
  • Don Quixote likes this

#274 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 14 May 2016 - 12:37 PM

Mike Randall: professional mascot hater
  • Mike in STL likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#275 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 12:45 PM

NOLA's MiL baseball teams were always called the Pelicans for 100 years... until they got the AAA Zephyrs from someplace else... I'm surprised they didn't change that name to the Pelicans...

When BAL got the NBA Zephyrs from Chicago, we changed their name to the Bullets... because that's what BAL b-ball teams were always called... so I wonder why NOLA didn't do the same thing with their baseball Zephyrs...

#276 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 14 May 2016 - 02:02 PM

When BAL got the NBA Zephyrs from Chicago, we changed their name to the Bullets... because that's what BAL b-ball teams were always called... so I wonder why NOLA didn't do the same thing with their baseball Zephyrs...
Actually the Zephyrs are changing their name after this season.

#277 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 14 May 2016 - 03:10 PM

Charlotte Hornets:

Originally, the new team was going to be called the Charlotte Spirit, but a name-the-team contest yielded "Hornets" as the winning choice. The name was derived from the city's fierce nuts British occupation during the Revolutionary War, which prompted the British commander, Lord Cornwallis, to refer to it as "a veritable hornet's nest of rebellion".

@DJ_McCann

#278 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 16 May 2016 - 12:45 AM

Mike Randall: professional mascot hater

He trains Robin Lopez in the offseason.

DrearyDefiniteGodwit.gif

#279 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 16 May 2016 - 07:50 AM

Uni Watch: And So It Begins: Sixers Announce First NBA Jersey Ad

But the real doozy comes from Sixers CEO Scott O’Neil, who explained that the team would include the patch on some of its retail jerseys because “We have a very strong opinion that little Scottie, who is nine years old, will want to wear what the players are wearing on the court.” How wonderful that they’re targeting nine-year-old children with this twaddle. The whole thing is quease-inducing.

@DJ_McCann

#280 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 10 August 2016 - 10:43 AM

SJ Sharks ad4df673f5dfe3c78ebc9f2fcdd54c13.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=