@BSLZackKiesel

#2 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:56 PM

Good piece.  Big year coming up for Esdall  the program in general.

I hope Craddock can lock down the kicking duties.  Guy's got a big leg.  I seem to remember a story last year where he was so unfamiliar with American football that he didn't know if a kicker needed to wear a helmet.  Or something along those lines.

#3 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:48 PM

Nice article Zack.

Edsall grew on me a lot last season. For the first 6 games, when the team was relatively healthy, they were a lot of fun to watch. Even the 2 losses against UConn and WVU were enjoyable and winnable games. After that, injuries took over and yeah, there were a few blowouts, but I still think even those completely depleted teams may have over achieved, even though they didn't win anything.

He's still a prickly kind of guy, but I think he is a good coach and a good person, who genuinely cares about every one of his players and wants to make them better people. There's certainly value in that, but in the end it will be all about winning.

@AdamWolff

#4 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:33 PM

Nice article Zack.

Edsall grew on me a lot last season. For the first 6 games, when the team was relatively healthy, they were a lot of fun to watch. Even the 2 losses against UConn and WVU were enjoyable and winnable games. After that, injuries took over and yeah, there were a few blowouts, but I still think even those completely depleted teams may have over achieved, even though they didn't win anything.

He's still a prickly kind of guy, but I think he is a good coach and a good person, who genuinely cares about every one of his players and wants to make them better people. There's certainly value in that, but in the end it will be all about winning.

I think what you're seeing is his ability to coach and recruit in his system. His system is built on a strong defense and a good running game. He had neither when he took over, but now the Terps have one of the better defenses in the country (ranked Top 5 when they were healthy last season) and 3 very talented running backs (Ross, Brown, Reid). The most interesting thing to watch for in 2013 is how they implement all the talent at wide receiver (Diggs, Long, Leak, King, etc.).

I think you'll see more of a spread passing game paired with a pro-style running game. What I mean by that is that it'll be a passing game based on screens, slants, and quick passes. Not only will that help get the receivers the ball in space, but it'll make up for C.J. Brown's lack of arm strength and the offensive line's poor pass blocking. The running game will be tough and between the tackles. Brandon Ross and Albert Reid both put on a lot of muscle in the off-season and are much more than speed backs now. Wes Brown has always been a bruising runner. And of course, there will be plenty of read-options to feature C.J. Brown's incredible speed and agility.

• Adam Wolff likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,973 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:47 PM

I'll likely never like him personally, but I am far more optimistic about the team right now than I have been at any point previously in his tenure.  Hopefully they can actually take some legit steps forward this year and get into a bowl.  The offense should be really fun with all the skill position talent and hopefully the defense can make up for the graduating talent and be good again.

#6 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:37 PM

I'll likely never like him personally, but I am far more optimistic about the team right now than I have been at any point previously in his tenure.  Hopefully they can actually take some legit steps forward this year and get into a bowl.  The offense should be really fun with all the skill position talent and hopefully the defense can make up for the graduating talent and be good again.

I think you'll still see a very good defense. They've really restocked the linebacker position, and most of the guys stepping into holes as starters are not freshmen. They are sophomores or juniors, which makes a big difference. Really the only freshman I could see starting on the defense is Yannick Ngakoue, and he'll start because of his talent, not because of necessity. 

The offensive line has got to get better. They were terrible in the Spring Game, so hopefully the core guys can be solid. I know Randy doesn't want to start Derwin Gray in his first year (he hated starting Madaras last season), so if Nick Klemm can lock down the RT position the outside should be fine. I don't have much faith in the interior linemen, though. De'Onte Arnett and Andrew Zeller are very inconsistent at guard, and Sal Conaboy is injury prone at center. I think you may see JUCO transfer Silvano Altamirano starting on the line at some point in 2013.

@BSLZackKiesel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=