#41 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,511 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:50 PM

We are so lucky to be Ravens fans. Seriously.

Add: Canty, Spears, Dumervil and Huff
Lose: Lewis, Reed, Kruger, Ellerbe

Never thought the D would get better after losing Ed and Ray.

#42 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,883 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:55 PM

I actually could now see Ozzie moving up deep into the draft to pick up one of the 3 LT prospects: Luke Joeckel (won't happen as he is expected to go in the 1st 3), Eric Fisher (Also doubtful as he is expected to go in the top 7.), and Lane Johnson (Is expected to go in the top 15 and he is the only guy I could see Ozzie reaching for.). However, even if he doesn't there are so many ways to upgrade this team with the 12 picks in a deep draft.

Regarding a huge jump up to draft a top LT, the obvious comparison is the Browns/Falcons trade that netted Atlanta Julio Jones.

Atlanta traded the 27th pick, their 2nd rounder (57), 4th rounder (124), and first and fourth rounders the following season for the 6th overall pick.

So to move up from their spot to a place high enough to draft one of the very top LT, the Ravens would have to also throw in their 2nd rounder and 4th round picks (we've got two 4th rounders with the comp), plus 1st and 4th rounders next year (will likely have at least a 4th round comp pick next year, maybe even a 3rd).

Definitely worth considering if you really think Fisher is a stud LT.

#43 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,883 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:55 PM

Lost Pollard, too, but I agree the defense should be better.

#44 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:19 PM

Yea...It will be tough for it not to be better than last year.

BUT, let's get these guys on the field first and perform before we go proclaiming this.

The direction they are taking and the moves they are making point to better things for the defense though.

#45 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:21 PM

Regarding a huge jump up to draft a top LT, the obvious comparison is the Browns/Falcons trade that netted Atlanta Julio Jones.

Atlanta traded the 27th pick, their 2nd rounder (57), 4th rounder (124), and first and fourth rounders the following season for the 6th overall pick.

So to move up from their spot to a place high enough to draft one of the very top LT, the Ravens would have to also throw in their 2nd rounder and 4th round picks (we've got two 4th rounders with the comp), plus 1st and 4th rounders next year (will likely have at least a 4th round comp pick next year, maybe even a 3rd).

Definitely worth considering if you really think Fisher is a stud LT.

After the Boller deal, Ozzie said he would never trade his first rounder like that again.

I actually think a scenario exists where the Ravens trade their first round pick for a first rounder next year. They are in a good spot for a team to get a QB late in the first round. I don't think that happens but I don't feel its out of the realm of possibility either.

One thing I feel confident in saying is that the Ravens will not draft 12 players this year.

#46 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,511 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:26 PM

Yea...It will be tough for it not to be better than last year.

BUT, let's get these guys on the field first and perform before we go proclaiming this.

The direction they are taking and the moves they are making point to better things for the defense though.

Yeah, obviously. There's also injuries and things like that. I'm sure there will be some, it's the nature of the beast. But like you said, on paper, we're in better shape coming into next year. Hopefully it plays out this year. The other thing is it's hard to quantify the lost leadership. We'll see.

#47 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:54 PM

Huff, Dumervil, Spears, and Canty will account for about $7.2 against the cap.

Anquan Boldin would have accounted for $7.5.

Thats why we trust Ozzie
  • SportsGuy likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#48 fishteacher

fishteacher

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,883 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:58 PM

Paying Huff for three years what Reed was guaranteed one year from Houston and less than Golston's annual salary...

Also, Ravens got Dumervil, Spears, & Canty for what the Browns guaranteed Paul Kruger...

I love laughing at other teams in the NFL...

REMARKABLE FRONT OFFICE! BEST IN THE BIZ BAR NONE!!!!! SUCK IT NFL!!!!!
I'm here to do two things...chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum. ~ Roddy Piper
@therealjfisher

#49 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:30 PM

Huff, Dumervil, Spears, and Canty will account for about $7.2 against the cap.

Anquan Boldin would have accounted for $7.5.

Thats why we trust Ozzie

Thanks for this Mike...I was too lazy to do the research earlier.

This is exactly what i wanted to know.

I had to tweet this to Peter King.

#50 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:18 PM

After the Boller deal, Ozzie said he would never trade his first rounder like that again.

I actually think a scenario exists where the Ravens trade their first round pick for a first rounder next year. They are in a good spot for a team to get a QB late in the first round. I don't think that happens but I don't feel its out of the realm of possibility either.

One thing I feel confident in saying is that the Ravens will not draft 12 players this year.

Wow that is a whole lot. I like Fisher a lot but that is too much to give up, IMOz

#51 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:31 PM

I had to tweet this to Peter King.

I also tweeted it to that dillweed.

And I sent him something about playing the opener on Wednesday. Its so damn simple and he never mentioned it in his column. His proposal was playing 2 Thursdays in a row, but he mentioned the Giants moving the game up last year for the RNC or whatever. Um, they've played on Rosh Hashanah before, and play every year on Thanksgiving and Christmas. I'm not religious AT ALL but that is the most 'holy' day for Christians.

Bob Kraft can suck my dradle.

@fuzydunlop

#52 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:09 AM

@MoveTheSticks: Not surprised the Ravens signed Michael Huff…We had big grades on him the year he came out of TX...Thought he could matchup with TE's

#53 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:16 AM

I think Huff will flourish more since he's surrounded by talent and actually playing for a winner.

Then again I thought the same thing about Lee Evans.
@BSLMikeRandall

#54 MKlein76

MKlein76

Sports Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • LocationGlen Burnie, MD

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:49 PM

Baltimore Ravens ‏@Ravens New #Ravens safety Michael Huff will wear No. 29, Cary Williams' old number.

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider Michael huff on following ed reed 'I don't feel like I'm following in anyone's footsteps I'm starting my own legacy'

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider Michael huff on replacing ed reed 'it means a lot I talked to him last night and told him I would carry on his legacy'
@MKlein76

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=