You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,511 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:53 PM

Per Aaron Wilson:

Elvis Dumervil is firmly on the Ravens' radar and they hope to meet with him next week, per a league source.

Meaning later in the week after the NFL owners meetings.

Link.

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,264 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:25 PM

That is pretty exciting. Certainly an addition that would really transform the defense.

#3 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,481 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:57 PM

That would be a nice addition. He was prepared to take a pay cut from $12 million to $8 million. Hopefully he'll be affordable.

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,886 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:38 PM

He would be a great signing IMO. May be able to get him on a 2/$12-16M type deal.

#5 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:27 PM

Why have interest in him but not in Bennett and Avril?

Are they 4-3 only guys?

#6 BSLMattJergensen

BSLMattJergensen

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:23 PM

Both have been scooped up by Seattle.

http://www.nfl.com/n... ... o-contract

#7 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:24 PM

Both have been scooped up by Seattle.

http://www.nfl.com/n... ... o-contract

Yea I know...but we didn't show interest in them and they were cheap.

#8 BSLMattJergensen

BSLMattJergensen

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:39 PM

Avril signed a 2-yr -$15 mill. Bennett was 1-yr- $5 mill.

It's a good question. Both were undervalued ends that opted not to go for long term deals or even wait to see if offers improved. They were in 4-3 systems and now go to another in Seattle.

#9 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:39 PM

Yea,I would guess its the 4-3 vs 3-4 thing. Dumervil has been more productive in a larger sample size but has had some injuries.

#10 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,511 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:44 PM

Yea,I would guess its the 4-3 vs 3-4 thing. Dumervil has been more productive in a larger sample size but has had some injuries.

At that position, it just means the other guys haven't had theirs yet.

#11 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,886 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:54 AM

I've got the Ravens at about $16-17M under the cap right now, so they could definitely afford a pretty substantial deal for Dumervil and then still have money leftover to bring back McKinnie (or another low-medium priced LT), maybe get Reed back, and then take care of all the draft picks and maybe another couple small veteran signings like Canty and Spears.

And we could still cut a couple guys to save even more money. It's a bit late so doing it wouldn't be the fairest thing in the world to the player, but business is business. Cut Leach and you save $3M, Cody saves you $630k, McClain would save $1.8M.

#12 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:16 AM

The reports are that the Ravens and Steelers are in pursuit of Dumervil. I keep reading that he's comparable to Cliff Avril. But I don't see Dumervil getting a 2 year, $7.5 mil deal. He probably gets more. I think signing him means more cuts would have to come.

If the Steelers appear to be the other team interested, would it benefit the Ravens to make additional cuts if only to stop your rival, and team you play twice a year from signing a great pass rusher like this?
@BSLMikeRandall

#13 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,886 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:30 AM

They shouldn't have to make more cuts to afford him unless they overpay for him and also pay more than expected to keep Reed and/or McKinnie. And if they do need to cut guys, it'll be fairly easily replaceable guys like Leach, Cody, and McClain.

I'm not worried about the cap anymore. We're about $16-17M under right now. We can afford a fairly big signing and Dumervil won't cost much more than 2/$12-16M, IMO. Maybe even spread it to be a 3-year deal and lower the cap hit in year one.

#14 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:43 AM

And we could still cut a couple guys to save even more money. It's a bit late so doing it wouldn't be the fairest thing in the world to the player, but business is business. Cut Leach and you save $3M, Cody saves you $630k, McClain would save $1.8M.

I'm really surprised that Leach is still on the roster. With all the guys they cut last week I fully expected him to be included.

#15 Miller192

Miller192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:53 AM

They shouldn't have to make more cuts to afford him unless they overpay for him and also pay more than expected to keep Reed and/or McKinnie. And if they do need to cut guys, it'll be fairly easily replaceable guys like Leach, Cody, and McClain.

I'm not worried about the cap anymore. We're about $16-17M under right now. We can afford a fairly big signing and Dumervil won't cost much more than 2/$12-16M, IMO. Maybe even spread it to be a 3-year deal and lower the cap hit in year one.

Where did you get your cap space number from? Just curious...I have us at 10MM under and the NFLPA has us at slightly less at @9MM under.
@Miller192

#16 Miller192

Miller192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:55 AM

I'm really surprised that Leach is still on the roster. With all the guys they cut last week I fully expected him to be included.

So am I, so is he, and so is his agent.
@Miller192

#17 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,886 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:25 AM

My only thought about Leach is that they were planning on cutting him when they needed the cap space to pay for Ellerbe and a re-worked deal for Anquan. Since neither of those deals worked out, they've got more cap space on hand than expected and can afford to overpay for a luxury that isn't really needed but is nice to have. If they end up needing that cash to bring in Dumervil, McKinnie, or someone else, then I think they'll release him.

Sucks for Leach to get jerked around like that and to only hit the market late if he does, but on the other hand he'll probably make more next year if we keep him than he would if we end up cutting him, so it's got a chance to work out in his favor as well.

#18 Miller192

Miller192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:27 AM

They still are non-committal on Leach. It's driving his agent nuts as he has a deal with the Texans for him.
@Miller192

#19 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,886 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:31 AM

Where did you get your cap space number from? Just curious...I have us at 10MM under and the NFLPA has us at slightly less at @9MM under.

Contract details from spotrac and I just totaled them all up in a spreadsheet. Could easily be missing someone or have some bad info. Plus right now I'm only counting I think 45 guys, so there are 6 more guys that count against the cap right now, though those guys are all probably pretty close to the minimum and only a total of only a couple million.

I realize now that also I'm not counting anything from Lewis and Birk. I initially assumed that since they retired there is no cap impact, but that doesn't sound right to me. Probably the difference between my numbers and yours can be explained by the additional several players at the end of the roster and the dead money owed Birk and Lewis. Looks like spotrac has Lewis for dead money of $2.95M and Birk for $1.4M, so that will go a long way towards covering that gap.

#20 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:00 AM

I checkout Spotrac too, has thier current cap number at 112.74 million. So 10.25 ish in space. After draft picks there's about 6 million give/take left. They may also want to have some extra space to roll over into 2014 because Flaccos cap number goes up by about 8 mil I think.

If they cut Leach and save 3 mil, and that 3 mil can be part of Dumervils cap hit for this year, I do it in a heartbeat.
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=