• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,321 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:39 PM

Duke has been buoyed by the return of Kelly, and many people are now picking the Blue Devils to win the National title.

Remarkably, at half-time of the MD/WF game tonight, ESPN said that Lunardi had MD on his next 4 out. If that is accurate, an upset over Duke would get MD close (and probably in with a win Saturday).

#2 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:57 PM

#beatdown. :)

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,321 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:00 PM

Nah, Duke figures to keep it close. ;)
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#4 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:18 PM

Funny thing about 3pt reliant teams...you never know when that off-day is gonna happen. If Duke loses they will beat themselves, MD won't beat them...but always gotta wonder.
@JeremyMStrain

#5 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:24 PM

Funny thing about 3pt reliant teams...you never know when that off-day is gonna happen. If Duke loses they will beat themselves, MD won't beat them...but always gotta wonder.

Duke not as reliant on 3 with Kelly back...ability to spread floor opens up the lane for drives and Plumlee to work down low.

#6 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:31 PM

Duke has been buoyed by the return of Kelly, and many people are now picking the Blue Devils to win the National title.

Remarkably, at half-time of the MD/WF game tonight, ESPN said that Lunardi had MD on his next 4 out. If that is accurate, an upset over Duke would get MD close (and probably in with a win Saturday).

After all the "must wins" they lost (GT, BC, UVA), I can't see them in without winning the Tourney, maybe if they make the Finals and lose.

And here's how you know tomorrow's game is a "must win" while were on this subject, no one is using that term. It goes without saying as opposed to every other ACC game described as such.
@levineps

#7 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:33 AM

Looked a little more into it, I think there's little to no chance they get in just by beating Duke. If they made it to the Finals, it's possible but still at that point I think unlikely (assuming they didn't win). First things first, UVA is on the bubble, I have to think UVA would get in ahead of them. Then you have a bunch of SEC teams that are ahead of them still in play. Iowa is still alive, beating Michigan State would be big for them. Lunardi tweeted La Salle is solidly ahead of Maryland. The team behind La Salle is Kentucky (although losing to Vandy would be a bad loss), I have to think they'll get in ahead of Maryland. That would in theory leave teams left that Maryland could pass UVA/Tennessee in addition to the seven teams ahead of them as it stands. Generally speaking you aren't going to gain or lose more than a single whole seed after a good win or bad loss. Thus, Maryland could conceivably move to the First Four out, but at this point in the game it be a little too late for that.
@levineps

#8 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,357 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:06 AM

It goes without saying, but you have to beat Duke tomorrow. These tournaments are where Maryland's depth can really be showcased, I talked about on The Tom Peace Show many times this season. The Terps have so much depth that getting tired in these tournaments shouldn't be an issue. Obviously Duke is well-rested, but that's the reason that once you get past them into the semi-finals, anything can happen. Hopefully the Terps can live another day and give us a little more hope for an NCAA Tournament run.
@BSLZackKiesel

#9 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:53 AM

If they were to win this game, it would at least make the selection show worth watching. I still seriously doubt they'd get in, but I'd have at least a glimmer of hope.

But there's nothing about this team that makes me think they'll win this game. Plumlee will be super-motivated after getting embarrassed in CP. In fact, I'll go ahead and put him down for 20/10 now.

Basically, MD is going to have to not turn the ball over, continue to shoot the 3 as well as they did last night, and hope Duke has an off night shooting. Like I said in the other thread, I'll be impressed - not happy, but impressed - if they keep it within 10.

#10 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,321 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:35 AM

If they were to win this game, it would at least make the selection show worth watching. I still seriously doubt they'd get in, but I'd have at least a glimmer of hope.

But there's nothing about this team that makes me think they'll win this game. Plumlee will be super-motivated after getting embarrassed in CP. In fact, I'll go ahead and put him down for 20/10 now.

Basically, MD is going to have to not turn the ball over, continue to shoot the 3 as well as they did last night, and hope Duke has an off night shooting. Like I said in the other thread, I'll be impressed - not happy, but impressed - if they keep it within 10.

Yeah, I agree with a lot of this.

MD has to really win on the boards, score inside, get to the line, and hit some shots from outside. Think MD had 26 turnovers in the win at College Park. Probably need to be around 15 or less tonight. Like you said, need Duke to be off shooting (or at-least not on), but also have to keep them away from the foul line.

MD needs to start strong.

#11 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,321 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:39 AM

Also Cleare has to get off the bench more tonight. ESPN relayed Coach Turgeon's comments about Cleare being his favorite player to Coach on this team, due to how hard Cleare works in practice... so I'm puzzled as to why his time has been limited the last few games.

#12 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:41 AM

Also Cleare has to get off the bench more tonight. ESPN relayed Coach Turgeon's comments about Cleare being his favorite player to Coach on this team, due to how hard Cleare works in practice... so I'm puzzled as to why his time has been limited the last few games.

Agreed. I've read some very faint rumblings on several MD blog sites that Cleare is not really all that happy and may be looking to get out. I hope that is not true, as I think he has tremendous potential if he can learn to play more controlled.

#13 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,357 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:33 AM

It's been frustrating to watch Len, Padgett, and Mitchell struggle underneath but never a sighting of Cleare. It's weird. There's no reason to save a guy like that until later in the Tournament, so hopefully we see more of him in this game. He's not quite the rebounder that Mitchell is, but he might be a better scorer. Also mad that Len made that 3-pointer last night; it means he'll try more...
@BSLZackKiesel

#14 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,000 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:14 AM

Also mad that Len made that 3-pointer last night; it means he'll try more...

No it doesn't.

#15 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:29 AM

They'd fall right back to the next four at minimum if they lost after beating Duke IMO. I'd put their odds of making the Tourney at roughly 10% with a Duke win then a next round defeat. They need significant help even with making the Finals. I think their only path really is winning the whole thing, but I could see them potentially getting in making the Finals.
@levineps

#16 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,321 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:26 PM

Don't need to worry about Saturday and Sunday if you can't win tonight. Pretty obvious, and thus a dumb statement, but it is true.

MD had a great 1st half vs. UVA, and a nice last 10 mts vs. Wake Forest. How about 1 sustained full game?

#17 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,321 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:18 PM

12-2 MD early.

Layman with 5 points, and 4 boards... Wells with 7 points, including a very loud slam.

Duke 1-6 from the floor...

#18 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,321 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:27 PM

17-10 MD, with 11:47 left in the 1st half... Terps up on the boards 10-5.

#19 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,616 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:35 PM

Where has this Dez Wells been all year? Unstoppable.

He's coming back next year right?

#20 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,321 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:36 PM

24-14 Terps, with 8:25 left in the 1st half.

Wells has now scored 14 points... Len scores his first basket, slamming home a pass from Wells.

Len's size continuing to cause problems for Plumlee.

Sulaimon doing work for Duke, just like he did when these teams played at Durham.

Kelly has been a complete non-factor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=