Photo

Is Joe Flacco to blame for the Ravens offseason?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:18 AM

Here is my article, attempting to put this into perspective. I encourage debate, and criticisms of the article. Want to get better, so any and all feedback is welcome, of course.

http://www.sportsman... ... son-purge/
  • Baltimore Chop likes this
@Langley486

#2 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:22 AM

His contract helped, not hurt, the offseason..especially for 2013.

#3 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:26 AM

His contract helped, not hurt, the offseason..especially for 2013.

That is the point a lot of people fail to realize. If the franchise him, they lose these players anyway. If they let him walk, you're looking for a QB when there aren't any good ones available. Extending him helped.
@Langley486

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,886 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:27 AM

No.

#5 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:28 AM

No.

First half of my article explains exactly why he isn't. I know you guys understand this, but a lot don't for some reason.
@Langley486

#6 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,886 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:36 AM

First half of my article explains exactly why he isn't. I know you guys understand this, but a lot don't for some reason.

Right.

It is frustrating to see all these guys leave, but I think people forget that football isn't like baseball and that free agency isn't the place to improve your team, the draft is. How many guys have we lost over the past few offseasons? We lost Mason, Heap, Gregg, McClain, McGahee, Grubbs, Johnson, Redding, Boldin, Lewis, Birk, Ellerbe, Kruger, and Pollard. And what did we do the last two years after pretty substantial exoduses and no big names brought in to replace them? Two AFC North crowns, one with an AFC championship game run and the other all the way to a SB championship.

#7 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:00 PM

Right.

It is frustrating to see all these guys leave, but I think people forget that football isn't like baseball and that free agency isn't the place to improve your team, the draft is. How many guys have we lost over the past few offseasons? We lost Mason, Heap, Gregg, McClain, McGahee, Grubbs, Johnson, Redding, Boldin, Lewis, Birk, Ellerbe, Kruger, and Pollard. And what did we do the last two years after pretty substantial exoduses and no big names brought in to replace them? Two AFC North crowns, one with an AFC championship game run and the other all the way to a SB championship.

You're absolutely right. Unfortunately, the common fan does not view it this way. They want their team to make the biggest splash possible, so their team is in the headlines for all the right reasons. What they don't see, is these types of free agents being released two or three years down the road are usually cut due to not living up to the contract. The draft is where teams are built to win championships.
@Langley486

#8 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:17 PM

All the Steeler fan friends on Facebook seem to think so. They're really yukkin' it up. I have a feeling they'll be complaining again about loosin...I mean...how bad the Ravens cheat and the refs are out to get them...next season.
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#9 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:27 PM

A lot of people out there who just have zero idea what they are talking about....oh and they don't understand football and the salary cap either. :)

#10 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:40 PM

I'm convinced people will always find a reason to bitch about Joe Flacco. It really does amaze me how such a relatively unassuming and quiet guy sturs up such a shitstorm.

#11 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:02 PM

Basically all I attempted to do in my article was dumb it down for those who don't understand how contracts and the salary cap works. That is not to say those people are dumb, but some people don't understand it. They also jump and say "We should have re-signed so and so" which is not always the case. They wanted to re-sign Ellerbe, but he was out of the price the Ravens viewed him at. The Dolphins overpayed. Let them regret it in a few years. The Ravens have done one heck of a job of knowing when to let a player walk. Give them credit for that. I also tweeted the behind the scenes reason Pollard was released. I am glad he is gone now. Loved his play, but he was a bad person in the locker room.
@Langley486

#12 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,481 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:23 PM

More cap ramifications from Joe's contract.

Jeff Zrebiec
@jeffzrebiecsun
Orioles announce that they have traded Michael Flacco, Joe's brother, to Red Sox for cash.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=