#1 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationZichron Yaakov, Israel

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:14 AM

I know everyone is panicked about the losses we've taken from last year's roster. I'm nervous about it too.

But there's a much greater threat to the team's future that is looming right around the corner. And yesterday, it took a turn for the worse for us.

The worst thing that could happen to the Ravens is for Ozzie Newsome to leave. And the only way that will ever happen is if he's offered the chance to go home and become the Athletic Director at his alma mater, the University of Alabama.

Mal Moore has been a fixture at Alabama for over 50 years, starting as a backup QB in 1958, becoming an assistant coach under Bear Bryant in 1965, and moving to the Athletic Department in 1994. He's been the AD since 1999. He's been affiliated with the program for 10 national championships in football.

It's been rumored for many years that Ozzie is next-in-line for the throne at U of A, but there was no real talk of when Moore would finally retire. He was briefly hospitalized with an irregular heartbeat this past August, but after 2 days was cleared to return to work.

Now Moore has been hospitalized again, and at 73-years of age, he might be ready to step into retirement. If so, don't be surprised to hear Ozzie's name mentioned as the man to take over the reins.

In fact, it's widely thought that the reason Eric DeCosta hasn't accepted another offer to be an NFL GM has been that he's been promised Ozzie's job once Ozzie makes the move to Alabama. As much as I like DeCosta and think the world of him, I prefer we keep Ozzie for as long as possible. Other Newsome prodigies, such as Phil Savage, have struggled to reach their potential, let alone match their mentor.

So I will continue to maintain In Oz We Trust (Hartwell, A. Thomas, Sharper - we've been through all of this before), but my bigger concern is that we might not have Oz to trust in for much longer.

http://msn.foxsports... ... ems-031313
  • BSLChrisStoner and You Play to Win the Game like this

"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax..."

-Walter Sobchak

#2 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,511 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:06 AM

I agree, very well said. I like DeCosta as well... but Phil Savage and others were highly thought of too. Great post.

#3 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:47 AM

DeCosta is Ozzie's hand picked guy and has been for a long time. Of course there is an unknown factor, but I'm not sweating Ozzie's departure that much. Thats not to say I want Ozzie to leave ,but I believe Decosta will be good when his time comes.

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,886 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:36 AM

Hah, could you imagine the reaction around town if that Alabama job becomes available and Ozzie leaves in the very short future here? It would be awesome. Everybody on sports talk radio accusing him of sabotaging the team and trading away / cutting / not resigning the core of our Super Bowl champ just before ditching us and leaving for Alabama. Setting the team up for failure over the next several years so it looks like he was the real genius of everything and it all fell to crap when he left.

I absolutely do not want Ozzie to leave (and think while DeCosta should be plenty good, it'll be nearly impossible to be as good as Ozzie), but that would sure be one entertaining silver lining listening to conspiracy theories from some of these people.

#5 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,604 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:17 AM

Yeah, it sucks that mostly insane, crazy people call talk radio and post comments on internet articles. Gives humanity a bad name.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#6 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:35 AM

Baltimore will burn if this happens during this offseason.

#7 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,604 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:38 AM

Baltimore will burn if this happens during this offseason.

I doubt Ozzie would leave in the middle of all this.

There will come a day when Ozzie isn't GM of the Ravens. I am sure everyone down at the Castle is well aware of this and have started to plan for when that day arrives.

Relax people. Sheesh.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#8 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,511 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:40 AM

Hah, could you imagine the reaction around town if that Alabama job becomes available and Ozzie leaves in the very short future here? It would be awesome. Everybody on sports talk radio accusing him of sabotaging the team and trading away / cutting / not resigning the core of our Super Bowl champ just before ditching us and leaving for Alabama. Setting the team up for failure over the next several years so it looks like he was the real genius of everything and it all fell to crap when he left.

I absolutely do not want Ozzie to leave (and think while DeCosta should be plenty good, it'll be nearly impossible to be as good as Ozzie), but that would sure be one entertaining silver lining listening to conspiracy theories from some of these people.

Haha, you have an interesting sense of humor!

#9 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:03 AM

I doubt Ozzie would leave in the middle of all this.

There will come a day when Ozzie isn't GM of the Ravens. I am sure everyone down at the Castle is well aware of this and have started to plan for when that day arrives.

Relax people. Sheesh.

Actually I'm not too worried. I trust Decosta.

#10 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:04 PM

@JasonLaCanfora: With Alabama's AD stepping down, some wonder if RavensGM Ozzie Newsome would head there. He may end up there 1day but sense I get is not now

@JasonLaCanfora: Newsome is an Alabama product, loves the school, maintains strong ties there and has talked about returning after retiring from NFL career

@RavensInsider: Despite Ozzie Newsome being mentioned for Alabama AD vacancy, no one I've spoken with thinks he's leaving the Ravens. He loves his job.

#11 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:30 PM

@RavensInsider: Asked by The Baltimore Sun if interested in Alabama job, Ozzie Newsome responded: "I already have a great job."

#12 fishteacher

fishteacher

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,883 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:07 PM

@RavensInsider: Asked by The Baltimore Sun if interested in Alabama job, Ozzie Newsome responded: "I already have a great job."

Went from pooping my pants to half a chubby...
I'm here to do two things...chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum. ~ Roddy Piper
@therealjfisher

#13 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationZichron Yaakov, Israel

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:25 AM

From Ivan Maisel at ESPN: "The university might not be in a hurry to hire anyone beyond an interim replacement out of respect to Moore. The people's choice to replace him, former Alabama All-American Ozzie Newsome, isn't about to leave his perch as general manager of the Super Bowl champion Baltimore Ravens."

"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax..."

-Walter Sobchak

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=