#1 BSLMattJergensen

BSLMattJergensen

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:24 AM

http://www.baltimore... ... 9e96cd63ee

If you asked me in September what I thought about Ed Reed's status I would have said that he was 100% gone. Now I'm more 50/50.

If Reed is back it is "right player, right price". I do find it interesting that he hasn't been contacted yet. Maybe he just isn't that high on the priority list at this time.

Thoughts?

#2 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:40 AM

Their total focus was on Joe. Now, that's over...It's obvious Ellerbe is higher on the list.

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,886 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:44 PM

I think it's odd that they haven't talked to him at all, if that is indeed the case. I don't know what I would be expecting them to say, and I certainly don't know how a typical NFL front office or the Ravens in particular operate in terms of communication with their pending FAs, but it would be a bit surprising to me if they don't talk to Ed prior to the FA period staring and coming up with an understanding of what each side is expecting to unfold.

With Ed I'd say it's a little bit tougher because he doesn't have an agent. Usually a team and the agent could have these types of discussions about a player's value without any concern for offending the player if the team is trying to undersell their importance. Not that Ed has thin skin or anything like that, but it's a bit more delicate of a situation without an intermediary involved.

I still think the likely outcome is that the Ravens let both Reed and McKinnie go out and see what the best offer they can get elsewhere is, and then deciding if they want to match that or make a close enough offer to entice either guy to stay.

#4 BSLMattJergensen

BSLMattJergensen

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:48 PM

I tend to agree with that as well. I think both Reed and McKinnie will test the market but I'm wondering if the Ravens will offer a contract to each so they know what they are up against.

The fact that Reed doesn't have representation makes it a bit of a different situation as well. Reed's been with the team his entire career and while they have other more important matters on their list of priorities I''m surprised that he hasn't at least been contacted about what his future might be in Baltimore.

#5 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:15 PM

Part of the reason I predicted Reed was gone all along wasn't just from Reed's perspective. I've also thought the Ravens thought it was likely time to move on.

Now, do I think there is a better chance of him resigning today than 2 months ago??? Yes, but not by a great deal. I think Reed wants to come back at the right cost fro him. Once he hits FA and NE or IND offer him a million more than we are willing to offer him he's going to jet and we aren't going to try and stop him.

#6 Roll Ravens Roll

Roll Ravens Roll
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:46 PM

I for one would be deeply saddened to see Reed walk, and even more so to see him playing for another team. Obviously Ellerbe is a priority with the lack of LB depth. Still, I don't see a viable alternative at Safety, even though I really like Omar Brown. I think this team needs Reed.

#7 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,886 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:34 PM

I for one would be deeply saddened to see Reed walk, and even more so to see him playing for another team. Obviously Ellerbe is a priority with the lack of LB depth. Still, I don't see a viable alternative at Safety, even though I really like Omar Brown. I think this team needs Reed.

Safeties are relatively inexpensive. For the $4-5M it'll probably take to bring Reed back, for 2 years most likely, we can land a pretty solid player in free agency if they don't go with a rookie or someone already on the roster.

#8 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,511 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:48 PM

If you're going to spend $120M on one player, you can't really afford to overpay at a position where you can easily find surplus value because of sentiment.

Now, given where Reed is in his career, a one or two year deal, given Flacco's cap hit's in those 2 years, may be do-able.

But I still think that it's part of the choice you make when you make Flacco the highest paid player in NFL history (which we had to do obviously). When that's the case, you HAVE to find surplus value where you can.

#9 Miller192

Miller192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:38 AM

Ed Reed was contacted by the Ravens. They tried to get something done with him quickly after the Super Bowl but he told Oz he wanted more time.

Oz even said as much at the season ending presser.

I wouldn't put stock into what Reed says.
@Miller192

#10 Miller192

Miller192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:01 PM

I think it's odd that they haven't talked to him at all, if that is indeed the case. I don't know what I would be expecting them to say, and I certainly don't know how a typical NFL front office or the Ravens in particular operate in terms of communication with their pending FAs, but it would be a bit surprising to me if they don't talk to Ed prior to the FA period staring and coming up with an understanding of what each side is expecting to unfold.

With Ed I'd say it's a little bit tougher because he doesn't have an agent. Usually a team and the agent could have these types of discussions about a player's value without any concern for offending the player if the team is trying to undersell their importance. Not that Ed has thin skin or anything like that, but it's a bit more delicate of a situation without an intermediary involved.

I still think the likely outcome is that the Ravens let both Reed and McKinnie go out and see what the best offer they can get elsewhere is, and then deciding if they want to match that or make a close enough offer to entice either guy to stay.

Ed works with a team of financial advisors down in Florida. They are competent with his finances it appears, but they can't be negotiated with as they aren't certified by the NFLPA

Something else to note, the Ravens are prohibited from negotiating with Ed during the start of today's negotiating period. There are ways around that of course, but their hands are tied somewhat.
@Miller192

#11 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:27 PM

Ed works with a team of financial advisors down in Florida. They are competent with his finances it appears, but they can't be negotiated with as they aren't certified by the NFLPA

Something else to note, the Ravens are prohibited from negotiating with Ed during the start of today's negotiating period. There are ways around that of course, but their hands are tied somewhat.

So basically Reed claiming" he can only see himself as a Raven" is just to avoid bad PR.

#12 Miller192

Miller192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:37 PM

I just wouldn't pay attention to anything Reed says
@Miller192

#13 MKlein76

MKlein76

Sports Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • LocationGlen Burnie, MD

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:58 PM

@jeffzrebiecsun: Multiple reports that #Ravens free agent safety Ed Reed will visit with the Houston Texans on Thursday.
@MKlein76

#14 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:00 PM

@jeffzrebiecsun: Multiple reports that #Ravens free agent safety Ed Reed will visit with the Houston Texans on Thursday.

Must be the secret team Mason talked about.

#15 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:16 PM

PFT is also reporting he is also meeting with the 49ers and Colts. He is not getting by Pagano, IMO.

#16 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,603 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:54 PM

I will be surprised if Reed is back, to be honest.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#17 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:09 PM

Looks like the lead suitors are SF, HOU, and IND.

Doubt he comes back here.

#18 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,481 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:16 PM

Looks like Indy will sign LaRon Landry. Subtract one more landing spot for Ed.

EDIT: And Louis Delmas is headed to SF tomorrow, so who knows if Ed even makes it out there? Might come down to the Texans as his only other option.

#19 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:55 PM

I am surprised NE and Belichick hasn't made a play at him.

He's probably right player right price for them too.

#20 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:58 PM

At this point, how many of you want Reed back(put aside contract for a moment)?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=